Preview Semi Final - Geelong vs GWS, Fri 3 Sept @ 1950 (AEST), Optus Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinates me that Fort continues to be an emergency and no-one mentions him.
Has been VFL outstanding
Wonder if Rhys or Rata are carrying an injury
Except when was his last VFL game? Sometime in winter?

3 changes for me

In Holmes ( should have played against Port ) Toohey ( great to have him back ) and Sav

Out Dahlhaus OConnor Simpson

That Optus oval in Perth is a big spacious ground - id play Sav as CHF - with Rohan and Cameron on the flanks - and those latter 2 players are a hell of alot quicker than the 2 who are going out Dahl and Sam - Geel have still got enough small forwards in the team in Miers Close and Higgins

Dont want Blicavs near FB - i want him him as that roaming midfielder on that big spacious ground - thus re the defence - Geel have got as key defenders Henry Kolo and Henderson - back those 3 in because GWS havent got a Gorilla forward

I will be excited to see Holmes play on that big ground with his pace etc

Really if Geel are half decent - then with the GWS outs then the Cats should win by 10 goals

Chris must have read my post earlier in the week

Smart move Scotty - it might just have saved your neck at Geelong

His instruction should be very clear:
Immediately find a short target forward of the man on the mark; or
Belt the sh*t out of it 55m down the line.
NEVER EVER KICK WITH YOUR WEIGHT BACK* OR TRY TO SWITCH THE DIRECTION OF PLAY

*Kolo should also get this direction
One issue I have noticed we have lately, is when we do get the ball quickly to the point where whoever has the ball, next kick is an inside 50, they are holding it up for so long, letting the other team flood back and then bombing it in long. Either find a clear target quick, or kick 5m out from the top of the goal square. Its happened a lot over the last month or so and hurts guys like Hawkins. Whether its long to a pack, or to a target, urgency is the way.

Yeah they both have similar issues you're right.

It's not like he (Blicavs) turns it over all that often, either, really - but by the time he decides on the best option, all of his best options have gone...
For the record, Blicavs is averaging 13.9 disposals and averaging 1.8 turnovers per match, and 2.1 clangers a game. He had 8 disposals, 2 clangers and 1 turn over Vs Port.
He had other games where he had 3/4 clangers and 3/4 turn overs, but usually he has 17 or 18 disposals in those match so it balances out because he has more effective disposals. Can't really remember his last bad game, just had some average ones and some really good ones. Was great against Melbourne hopefully Blicavs is back to that this weekend.

For anyone wondering here are the squad differences between the teams from the last time we played (hopefully I didn't miss anyone):

Geelong in: Henderson, Atkins, Duncan, Smith, Cameron, Miers, Simpson, Fort (Simpson and Fort are EMG and could be medi-sub).
Geelong out: Kreuger, Stewart, Dahlhaus, Clark, Higgins, ZGuthrie (Higgins and ZGuthrie are EMG and could be medi-sub).

Some massive ins compared to last time, Cameron/Duncan/Smith are key players and if all 3 have good matches we likely win. Henderson is an upgrade on Kreuger despite last weeks performance. Hopefully he returns to his normal self this week.
Obviously losing Stewart is massive, he, Stanley and Bews were in our top 3 Vs GWS last time we played. Dropping Dahlhaus and Higgins is very unexpected.

GWS in: Hogan, Lloyd, Coniglio, Kelly, Mumford, Hopper, Hill, Stone, Davis (Davis is an EMG and could be medi-sub).
GWS out: Brown, Daniels, Buntine, O'Halloran, Shipley, Greene, Briggs, Riccardi, Peatling (Briggs, Riccardi and Peatling were starting 22 in Rd21, listed as EMG for SF and could be medi-sub).

Dropped a lot of kids, their big is for me are Hopper and Kelly. Mumford is a massive upgrade on Briggs but I hope Stanley runs him ragged and pushes forward whenever he can. Coniglio was a bit of a passenger Vs Sydney, Hogan kicked some very important goals when they needed them and can't be under estimated, Kelly and Hopper were in their best Vs Sydney.
Hill and Stone are strange inclusions. Stone hasn't played since Rd 6, 3 games for the year and didn't really set the world on fire. Hill has 16 games this year, but hasn't played since Rd 17. His form wasn't really that great either. Hill is 21, Stone is 19, both young forwards. Hill is a small forward, Stone is a medium forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One issue I have noticed we have lately, is when we do get the ball quickly to the point where whoever has the ball, next kick is an inside 50, they are holding it up for so long, letting the other team flood back and then bombing it in long. Either find a clear target quick, or kick 5m out from the top of the goal square. Its happened a lot over the last month or so and hurts guys like Hawkins. Whether its long to a pack, or to a target, urgency is the way.

For the record, Blicavs is averaging 13.9 disposals and averaging 1.8 turnovers per match, and 2.1 clangers a game. He had 8 disposals, 2 clangers and 1 turn over Vs Port.
He had other games where he had 3/4 clangers and 3/4 turn overs, but usually he has 17 or 18 disposals in those match so it balances out because he has more effective disposals. Can't really remember his last bad game, just had some average ones and some really good ones. Was great against Melbourne hopefully Blicavs is back to that this weekend.

For anyone wondering here are the squad differences between the teams from the last time we played (hopefully I didn't miss anyone):

Geelong in: Henderson, Atkins, Duncan, Smith, Cameron, Miers, Simpson, Fort (Simpson and Fort are EMG and could be medi-sub).
Geelong out: Kreuger, Stewart, Dahlhaus, Clark, Higgins, ZGuthrie (Higgins and ZGuthrie are EMG and could be medi-sub).

Some massive ins compared to last time, Cameron/Duncan/Smith are key players and if all 3 have good matches we likely win. Henderson is an upgrade on Kreuger despite last weeks performance. Hopefully he returns to his normal self this week.
Obviously losing Stewart is massive, he, Stanley and Bews were in our top 3 Vs GWS last time we played. Dropping Dahlhaus and Higgins is very unexpected.

GWS in: Hogan, Lloyd, Coniglio, Kelly, Mumford, Hopper, Hill, Stone, Davis (Davis is an EMG and could be medi-sub).
GWS out: Brown, Daniels, Buntine, O'Halloran, Shipley, Greene, Briggs, Riccardi, Peatling (Briggs, Riccardi and Peatling were starting 22 in Rd21, listed as EMG for SF and could be medi-sub).

Dropped a lot of kids, their big is for me are Hopper and Kelly. Mumford is a massive upgrade on Briggs but I hope Stanley runs him ragged and pushes forward whenever he can. Coniglio was a bit of a passenger Vs Sydney, Hogan kicked some very important goals when they needed them and can't be under estimated, Kelly and Hopper were in their best Vs Sydney.
Hill and Stone are strange inclusions. Stone hasn't played since Rd 6, 3 games for the year and didn't really set the world on fire. Hill has 16 games this year, but hasn't played since Rd 17. His form wasn't really that great either. Hill is 21, Stone is 19, both young forwards. Hill is a small forward, Stone is a medium forward.
Throw in Dangerfield who was done 10 mins into the 1st and Rohan not long after.

Ill be mighty disappointed if we lose this. It’s just so critical that we don’t get off to that usual rubbish start.

We have won like 2 1st qrts since Rd 11 and haven’t kicked 4 goals in an opening qrt since May.

Good to see riewoldt and king talk about the responsibilities of Jez and Scott during the week.
Riewoldt said Cameron was brought in for this very reason to take the cats to the top of the mountain. Agree
And King suggests cats have been worked out. Intercept players like lever and Allir play on non dangerous forwards. Forwards that don’t score goals like close, Dahl, Higgins. Why would a defender respect those guys? They don’t score goals. Agree
Over to you Scott

Couldn’t believe thine eyes that Dahl had been dropped. Obviously Scott was no longer able to justify his spot (or maybe he recognised the criticism if he played and produced another game like that).
Like the inclusions. Quicker with potential for a more attacking game. Although Sav has been out of form he is a good inclusion - Taylor and Haynes in great form, so Sav needs to compete hard in the air. He absolutely must avoid being blocked from marking contests which has been his problem last few matches.

Not good sign for Clark and Narkle. Wonder if they tempted to have some chats while they are in the West. Personally would be sad to see either go - Clark in particular could be a very valuable player but need a team that can tolerate inconsistency while develops - Freos young team and development ‘arc’ maybe more suitable.

Last edited:
Don’t you see the giants waltzing it out of our F50? Scott complained about lack of tackles in forward 50 last week then he brings in Sav and drops small pressure forwards. Maybe just gonna go for broke…
This is the sacrifice the club is making to stabilise a leaky and brittle defence.

We can mitigate the GWS defensive rebound somewhat with more purposeful i50 entries and managing the time both Stanley and Sav are on the ground together.

Our midfield was deplorable last week and badly beaten. If the same happens again this week, we are in trouble no matter what our forward and defensive structures are.

Not sure what their matchups will be? I’d say Henderson probably gets Hogan. Him or Blicavs. Henry likely for Himmelberg. That or Blicavs gets him which frees up Henry to better play the intercepting role.

As for Kolo? I can’t see an obvious matchup. Sproule?

Hogan can be terrible but he’s in good form at the moment and clunking them with arms fully extended straight up - that spells huge trouble for Henderson, feel we will need all of Blitz height or Henry’s fabulous leap to spoil him.

Hogan can be terrible but he’s in good form at the moment and clunking them with arms fully extended straight up - that spells huge trouble for Henderson, feel we will need all of Blitz height or Henry’s fabulous leap to spoil him.
was my thoughts, Hogan's strengths play against Henderson's weakness on the lead. He will need help to stop him.

I'm really happy that we're getting some experience into Holmes. :thumbsu:

It's good but I'm frustrated he has not been in longer as opposed to Luke. Dal has been ####ing putrid nearly all year and I'd much rather been taking the good with the bad with young Holmes. But better late that never I guess.

Good to see riewoldt and king talk about the responsibilities of Jez and Scott during the week.
Riewoldt said Cameron was brought in for this very reason to take the cats to the top of the mountain. Agree
And King suggests cats have been worked out. Intercept players like lever and Allir play on non dangerous forwards. Forwards that don’t score goals like close, Dahl, Higgins. Why would a defender respect those guys? They don’t score goals. Agree
Over to you Scott
Wonder if thats the logic in bringing in Sav. If you have Esava in the goal square, Hawkins out to a pocket that favors his kick, and Cameron in the opposite pocket, you have Close and Rohan as your pressure forwards due to their speed and tackling abilities, and you stretch teams that way. 3 talls who can mark overhead means if you see someone dropping off Esava to Hawkins, you go to Esava.

Last time we played GWS we didn't have issues getting the ball i50. We had issues kicking it and GWS taking intercept marks. You stop this by having a guy like Esava and telling him to smash into Taylor and Haynes at EVERY single contest they are in. Knee in the back, go for MOTY every ****ing contest. Give away a few free kicks and make them think twice.
Port did that to us last week. So many free kicks. Late bumps. Late pushes in the back. Holding tackles. And by the third we were jumping at shadows when under no pressure.

There will be a lot of i50s, and we took a lot of marks too. We need to convert and we need to make sure they don't smash us on rebound 50s which means no shallow entries and no easy intercept marks.

On the face of it I can't say I agree with dropping Dahlhaus after all the ups and a lot more downs throughout the season it seems strange to continue to back him in and then drop him in a sudden death final, esp with someone as inexperienced as Holmes. I would have thought at this point in the season you are commit to the bloke you backed in all year. I will add all though he had some shockers his form was better in the 2nd half of the year, I think you play him and hope you get a Freo or Bulldogs game out of him (where he was genuinely good). He should have been dropped much earlier in the year to give someone else a crack at slotting into his role.

Dahlhaus hasn't had multiple goals in any match this season, and he's kicked just 1 goal in the last 6 games. If we're going to have a passenger (and I think Holmes was better than that in his last few matches, and also played better than Dahlhaus) I'd rather it be the young kid with potential than a veteran who is in clear decline has struggled regularly.

Unfortunately he's become an absolute shell of the player he was at the Bulldogs - this dropping is long, long overdue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back