Preview Semi Final: Hawks vs Sydney Swans, Teams and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lloyd is an absolute tosser. One of the dirtiest to play our game in 20 years. He hates Hawthorn and is always negative (Just like Tim Watson and Mike Sheehan). He found negativity in the Hawks on the day we smashed Port by 165. Get on you bike you sniper and keep your opinions to yourself. The worst media person on TV. Even worse than Luke Darcy.

hahaha...good call!!

Really hope we win this, But... I think we may get smashed in the centre, the last time we played and beat this mob we had Roughie giving Bailey great support. Not the case this time.

We also had a fighting fit Franklin that tore them a new one. Don't think he will play and even if he does how effective will he be?

I know this sounds a little pessimistic but this is how I see it.

Don't want to see Bateman in, been great for us but of late is just looking past it. Savage would be the one provided his body is ok.

If Bruest doesn't play then it will be a mistake, he is an opportunist forward that will provide options when others are covered, he averages 1.8 goals per game that speaks for itself.

As for Shoey, we need to cut him some slack he will be much the wiser after a high pressure final against a very good team. Only been playing a very short time and will get better no doubt.

Having said all this, Go Hawks!

I watched that really crap footy show on ONE last night with Anthony Hudson, Scott Cummings and Lloyd.

They all tipped Sydney - the betting agencies are the only ones that rate us tonight. I like that.

Matthew Lloyd also tipped the Bombers to beat Carlton last week .. :rolleyes:

Whilst I also like this about Schoey, the continual errors make me more worried.

I think we are a red hot chance this week. Not sure Buddy will play, and I hope that Lisle comes in for him. I doubt we'll get smashed at the stoppages two weeks in a row. a lot played ordinary last week, meaning a lot have a lot to prove this week

Schoey needs time, it will take at least another 2 years before he will be physically able to compete with a fully developed key forward on a consistent basis. He is a little prone to error but im sure that will change as he matures, he isnt quite up to the game speed of AFL footy yet, seems to think he has a lot more time then he really does and gets caught out because of it, once he gets up to speed he will be much better.

Also have my doubts on if Buddy will play, If he doesnt Breust will be the man that comes in imo, Lisle is still a bit raw and Breust has been good this year, the whole Buddy thing could even be a smokescreen, they may have already decided that he wont play and will make the change at the last minute in an attempt to throw Sydneys structure / match ups a bit,

We should be backing ourselves to beat Sydney anyways with or without Buddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Cats / Hawks game again (sober) and firmly believe that the Cats targeted young Schoey. They played through him a lot. We need to work well as a 'team' tonight and give him a chop out if the is under the pump.

All the best tonight young man.

Geez, I hope we're a chance. There's a reason we finished 3rd and they finished 7th. :D

I expect that will be shown tonight. We have been quickly written off after a 5 goal loss to the Cats and an injury to Bud. The world will be set right this evening.

Hmm in the last 11 years there has been only 2 teams from outside 4 to progress through to Prelims. There is a reason we finished top 4!

Go Hawks!!!!!!

Watched the Cats / Hawks game again (sober) and firmly believe that the Cats targeted young Schoey. They played through him a lot. We need to work well as a 'team' tonight and give him a chop out if the is under the pump.

All the best tonight young man.

This goes without saying that they picked on him (and that isn't a slight on Shoey from me, just Fact). In all this talk, have to remember that the kid hasn't turned 21 yet and hasn't played his 50th game yet (or 40th for that matter). Hasn't had a great run at the year (multiple injuries). Want to see him get another preseason under the belt and come back bigger and better next year.

For this year, probably need to take some risks against the good clubs and assume that they will target him and (as you say) provide some extra help.

This goes without saying that they picked on him (and that isn't a slight on Shoey from me, just Fact). In all this talk, have to remember that the kid hasn't turned 21 yet and hasn't played his 50th game yet (or 40th for that matter). Hasn't had a great run at the year (multiple injuries). Want to see him get another preseason under the belt and come back bigger and better next year.

For this year, probably need to take some risks against the good clubs and assume that they will target him and (as you say) provide some extra help.

Interesting point you make, there is a really strong case that defence is our weakest area, in terms of our height and strength, If you are Brad Scott you will try and identify that weakness in the opposition, by lining up with Hawkins, Pods and West / Ottens alternating out of the ruck you are giving yourself a chance to exploit that weakness, Shoey is the man you will seek out as the one that is the weak link amoung that exploited weakness, basically because he is forced to play the key back role against the big bodies, so Geelong kept on hitting up whoever got the Shoey match up.
As someone suggested above, the Hawks need to make sure that Shoey gets a chop out from a third man up (whenever possible) to help get the spoil in,

Sk Kilda have made an art form of it by having Fisher and the likes come over the top to help protect there weakest link who is Zac Dawson, because he cant compete physically on a consistent basis

Interesting point you make, there is a really strong case that defence is our weakest area, in terms of our height and strength, If you are Brad Scott you will try and identify that weakness in the opposition, by lining up with Hawkins, Pods and West / Ottens alternating out of the ruck you are giving yourself a chance to exploit that weakness, Shoey is the man you will seek out as the one that is the weak link amoung that exploited weakness, basically because he is forced to play the key back role against the big bodies, so Geelong kept on hitting up whoever got the Shoey match up.
As someone suggested above, the Hawks need to make sure that Shoey gets a chop out from a third man up (whenever possible) to help get the spoil in,

Sk Kilda have made an art form of it by having Fisher and the likes come over the top to help protect there weakest link who is Zac Dawson, because he cant compete physically on a consistent basis

It was so predictable that Shoenmakers was going to be considered the weak link and targeted by the Cats yet nothing was done in advance to address this issue. Basically we have no Plan B. We have not addressed our structural weakness and need for a strong key defender since Croad left the club. I blame Clarkson for that. (He mistakenly may believe we really don't need one.) Shoenmakers and Lisle are our best bets at the moment. We have no choice but to persist otherwise our undersized backline will continue to be exposed in finals.

When did I say Breust isn't a class footballer? I'm just questioning if he's ready for finals footy.

As for Lewis, yep had a shocker. But wasn't it 3 weeks ago he smashed Judd? That's what hard bodies do. Speak to any of the players after Sydney games and they will tell you that to beat them you need players that stand up in tackles and don't lose their feet.

I think you need to understand its horses for courses. Might be beyond your comprehension though:rolleyes:
I hope so, I hope the team picked is the best team we have to take on Sydney. From an observer, i just can't make sense of it. A footy team cNt just be made up of strong bodies who can take a hit. It needs all types that gel and cover for each other. Shit I would lay a heap of shepards to give breust a possession.

It was so predictable that Shoenmakers was going to be considered the weak link and targeted by the Cats yet nothing was done in advance to address this issue. Basically we have no Plan B. We have not addressed our structural weakness and need for a strong key defender since Croad left the club. I blame Clarkson for that. (He mistakenly may believe we really don't need one.) Shoenmakers and Lisle are our best bets at the moment. We have no choice but to persist otherwise our undersized backline will continue to be exposed in finals.

Agreed, would you have Brian Lake if the Hawks traded for him? If he gets his body right he could be the perfect short term solution while the likes of Shoey and Lisle develop, I would jump at it tbh, only if his body is up scratch though

Glad to hear some support for young shoe, he was targeted and had a bad night. But as many people have said he is only 20, played less than 40 games.
The best way to support or defence is by winning the midfield, so the ball doesn't come in as quickly or as often.

Also having Stratton back gives another tallish defender to kill the high ball which we were lacking last week.

Anyway rapped they stuck with him and with buddy playing I reckon we are going to be fired up for a really good performance.

Go Hawks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back