Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against popular opinion on here, it is time for Brian Royal to step into the Senior Coach's role. He has been close to landing the top job on many occassions and has been in the system a long time after a stellar playing career.

He strikes me as the sort that will thrive given the top gig. With 15 games to go, I say give choco Royal his shot.

Against popular opinion on here, it is time for Brian Royal to step into the Senior Coach's role. He has been close to landing the top job on many occassions and has been in the system a long time after a stellar playing career.

He strikes me as the sort that will thrive given the top gig. With 15 games to go, I say give choco Royal his shot.

Agree 100%

scott burns suits the needs well imo will grown with the players an strikes me of a player who will want hardness around the ball... but he may well be lined up for the wc job..

mark harvey? is another name, wasn't doing much wrong over at freo then go knifed

No chance we will go for yet another untried coach. Burns should end up being a very good coach I guess, but that will be at WCE and certainly not at Melbourne. Neeld had similar wraps on him two years ago, but look how that has turned out.

No chance we will go for yet another untried coach. Burns should end up being a very good coach I guess, but that will be at WCE and certainly not at Melbourne. Neeld had similar wraps on him two years ago, but look how that has turned out.
Kind of agree with the sentiment but can't see us securing an experienced coach, exception being Williams. Believe we will be forced down the inexperienced track again.
No point in taking on a experienced coach just because he is experienced but offers nothing else, just get the selection process right, as opposed to the last two efforts.
Don't know that anyone could turn this group around at the moment.

Here's a thought; out of all the players that Neeld wanted gone at the end of last season - I think only one has failed to find himself a place at a new club.

Petterd - Tigers
Moloney, Martin - Brisbane
Gysberts - North

****, even Morton and Bennell were given chances at the Eagles.

You could sort of add Rivers to that, although I'm sure that Neeld wanted to keep him.

The only delistee off the main list to still be without a club is Matty Bate FFS.

No other coach in recent memory has gone about delisting/alienating players who more then one club believe can play AFL football like Neeld has.

Here's a thought; out of all the players that Neeld wanted gone at the end of last season - I think only one has failed to find himself a place at a new club.

Petterd - Tigers
Moloney, Martin - Brisbane
Gysberts - North

****, even Morton and Bennell were given chances at the Eagles.

You could sort of add Rivers to that, although I'm sure that Neeld wanted to keep him.

The only delistee off the main list to still be without a club is Matty Bate FFS.

No other coach in recent memory has gone about delisting/alienating players who more then one club believe can play AFL football like Neeld has.

I think that's far from being a large problem. Let's have a look at their performances.

Petterd - getting games, unconvincing so far though. Don't rate him at half back, seems to panick and kick long a lot, up-and-under style.

Moloney - dominating because he's being played in position. Bad move (on-field at least) getting rid of him.

Martin - Lions fans were calling for him to be dropped. Not a key forward. Only problem is we replaced him with Pedersen.

Gysberts, Morton - nowhere near getting games.

I think that's far from being a large problem. Let's have a look at their performances.

Petterd - getting games, unconvincing so far though. Don't rate him at half back, seems to panick and kick long a lot, up-and-under style.

Moloney - dominating because he's being played in position. Bad move (on-field at least) getting rid of him.

Martin - Lions fans were calling for him to be dropped. Not a key forward. Only problem is we replaced him with Pedersen.

Gysberts, Morton - nowhere near getting games.

Sure, I understand that - the thing is Neeld's always going on about 'depth' of AFL quality players.

There's now proof that at least two clubs view all of these players as having the potential to play AFL football.

Neeld talks about our midfield being 'the essence of a development stage' - yet he got rid of four midfield players (including one ruck) who had all shown the ability to play AFL footy.

I think it speaks volumes for his lack of management ability - he had no flexibility and it's cost us.

If we can't get Roos or Clarkson (both very unlikely), then Eade, he has been a successful coach at two clubs previously, and during his time at the Bulldogs he had very limited resources in terms of their training venue, assistant coaches etc etc when compared to other clubs at the time and still got damn good results. And just like when he took over the Bulldogs he will be taking over a list who has some talented but largely undeveloped players with no confidence. I see him as a good fit for us. And if he fails, then at least we're out of things we can blame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Eade is probably the best realistic chance we have.
At least with him you know he'd have an exciting, watchable game plan.

Loved watching the Bulldogs when he coached them.

If we can't get Roos or Clarkson (both very unlikely), then Eade, he has been a successful coach at two clubs previously, and during his time at the Bulldogs he had very limited resources in terms of their training venue, assistant coaches etc etc when compared to other clubs at the time and still got damn good results. And just like when he took over the Bulldogs he will be taking over a list who has some talented but largely undeveloped players with no confidence. I see him as a good fit for us. And if he fails, then at least we're out of things we can blame.

Eade couldn't deliver a flag with one of the best lists at Sydney Swans. He got them in finals each year, but couldn't take them to the ultimate.

When he was at the Bulldogs, they were in their premiership window. Again, couldn't take them all the way to the flag, or even a Grand Final.

He couldn't deliver the flag at clubs with better lists and all the facilities. I doubt he will do it with Melbourne (and Melbourne need a coach to not just take them to finals, but win them, make Grand Finals and win flags).

I think a great assistant coach who has played in premierships under a good coach is what Melbourne need. Someone like a Darren Milburn (Adelaide assistant coach), who has played in flags, at a club with great development, structures and recruiting, and coached by former premiership players (Milburn was coached by Bomber Thompson and Chris Scott, both premiership players at successful clubs).

in the washup it seems likely that neil craig will be approached but will decline. Todd viney has had a crack before and most likely would fit the role.
however, there is word that Brett Ratten said that he would return to coaching after a year in hiatus while there is also rumour that the AFL and melbourne approached paul roos to get him to replace Neeld, however both have declined that this was true and i believe them.
Mark Harvey is still floating around and Eade despite him being at collingwood would be eager to have another go at it, he seems determined to win a premiership.
Matthew primus would put his hand up i think but will be refused after his time at the power.
Michael Voss may also be out of contract if things go wrong this season, but he bad record at brisbane (if he is fired) would not be enough for melbourne to hier him. also i think sheedy is definite not he will be fully retired at the end of the year and i even if he wasn't he wouldn't be eager to join the club after the way we treated him.

despite this i still for some reason see something and believe that he should see out his contract in 2014 before the club decides what to do with him. Neeld sorry mate but if their isnt any improvement by next year you will be walking early 2014 season or after its conclusion

I would accept any of the below order.

Clarkson
Choco Williams
Ratten
Harvey
Eade

Would have nothing against Todd taking over, he developed two kids (Jack and Olie) in to monsters.... wonder what he can do to a list of them

sorry to double post but i forgot to say that brad green despite being a young midfield coach at carlton will also be keen
I dunno about that. As much as he may love the club, I think he'd be pretty aware that he doesn't really have the coaching experience/leadership to take the reigns completely just yet. In a few years time, maybe, but not right now.

Kind of agree with the sentiment but can't see us securing an experienced coach, exception being Williams. Believe we will be forced down the inexperienced track again.
No point in taking on a experienced coach just because he is experienced but offers nothing else, just get the selection process right, as opposed to the last two efforts.
Don't know that anyone could turn this group around at the moment.

If the quality experienced coach isn't an option you could do a lot worse than having Sheedy or Williams take the job on an interim basis while you groom the next young gun. The experience of Hinckley at Port shows that you're only ever a pre season away from real progress. You'd have to qualify this on the ability to limit the damage that has clearly been done to the players. Viney does seem like the kind of guy that, for the rest of the year, would at least motivate the players and have them "playing for the jumper".

In Sheedy and Williams you'd have the positive alpha males who'd ensure that the players heads are in the right place. I reckon that you'd notice a pretty quick turn around in the effort and attitude of the players under guys these elder statesmen. I like the sound of Burns and Nigel Lappin who I consider are by far the most impressive assistant coaches. Neither run out cliches, coach speak or all of the other BS I've hard from the likes of McCartney and Buckley, for example, they are just open, insightful and articulate.

Ratts would be okay. Needs quality assistants though too.

Still think we need to bring back Junior in some capacity.

If the quality experienced coach isn't an option you could do a lot worse than having Sheedy or Williams take the job on an interim basis while you groom the next young gun. The experience of Hinckley at Port shows that you're only ever a pre season away from real progress. You'd have to qualify this on the ability to limit the damage that is clearly been done to the players. Viney does seem like the kind of guy that, for the rest of the year, would at least motivate the players and have them "playing for the jumper".

In Sheedy and Williams you'd have the positive alfa males who'd ensure that the players heads are in the right place. I like the sound of Burns and Nigel Lappin who I consider are by far the most impressive assistant coaches. Neither run out cliches, coach speak or all of the other BS I've hard from the likes of McCartney and Buckley, for example, they are just open, insightful and articulate.
I think Williams is a realistic chance, but I don't necessarily subscribe to the " we have to have an experienced coach " brigade. Also hear great things about Leigh Tudor and Nathan Bassett, even Gary Ayres brings quite a few qualities in which we are severely lacking.
My belief is that we need to get the process of selection right as opposed to the last two coaching appointments which seemed fatally flawed, we just need to get the best possible not the most experienced possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back