SFNL Division 1 2023 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This forum has gone downhill quicker than St Kilda City once the cash dried up.

Any chance we could talk about some footy or has everyone already conceded that Cheltenham has the flag in the bag?
Cheltenham and winning a D1 flag has been spoken about many times on this forum in the past 15 years. Don’t believe all the hype until it actually happens.

Cheltenham and winning a D1 flag has been spoken about many times on this forum in the past 15 years. Don’t believe all the hype until it actually happens.
Hardly , only been flag favourites since 2019 and 2022 Grand Finals, played Finals in ‘96,’97 with decent teams, not much since then

During the period in the early 2010s when they had Graham at FF and recruited Brett Collins etc they talked up a big game early in the season only to hit a brick wall when faced with the big dogs of St Paul’s and East Brighton.

I've always had a keen eye on relegation battles over the years as they can kill a club or just be the thing they needed. With St Kilda currently having the skill of a Division 3 side it's definitely made for a monotonous ending down the bottom end in what was shaping up to be a great last few rounds.
Definitely Cheltenham's to lose though... But they do tend to lose as history shows...

No stand out game this week. My pick would be Cranbourne Vs Colts. A Port loss here and they will likely find themselves outside the top 5 to the Doggies after sitting pretty most of the year. Next weeks game vs St Paul's becomes an 8 pointer. No finals for Colts after the way they recruited would be a massive failure. Cranbourne for me.
Bentleigh Vs Mordi should be good too. Doesn't necessarily show in the results but both clubs have been competitive in nearly all games recently but just haven't translated it into 4 quarters of footy. Should be a good scrap as Mordi look to become the best of the rest while Bentleigh will finally try to put their good work into 4 points. The dees look to have a very good run home so they would be wanting to capitalise early. Apparently Brown injured so on that basis going Bentleigh.
Cheltenham V Springy has the writings of a 5 goal Rosellas win. Springvale plucky and in it for most of the day as they always are but never quite get in a winning position and Chelt too good in the end.
St pauls too good over a faltering but competitive Chelsea. How many people expected them to come away with the chocolates at Cranbourne last week?
Dingley 150+. Will City come close to anyone?
Final is for chelt to lose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

During the period in the early 2010s when they had Graham at FF and recruited Brett Collins etc they talked up a big game early in the season only to hit a brick wall when faced with the big dogs of St Paul’s and East Brighton.
Big dogs of SFL any decade would be destroyed by the Big Dogs of Eastern, Northern , EDFL any day of the week

That's a bit tough on them. For a club with limited resources they are run quite well from what I've seen. Many clubs in a worse position around town.
Bedford is only upset cause he is good mates with dave Mathews who had an unscesssful stint at powerhouse. There are some of the best people running the house but without juniors like most clubs they will struggle!

Big dogs of SFL any decade would be destroyed by the Big Dogs of Eastern, Northern , EDFL any day of the week
Not kidding buddy that’s why we are on the Southern forum.
Cheltenham with their resources etc have been the most underperformed D1 club in the last 25-30 years.

Bedford upset as his beloved Ormond are odds on to plummet out of VAFA C grade and has to travel out to West Brunswick in 2024. He slags SFNL, but he is the one travelling all over Melbourne.
Ormond have a history that Bentleigh could only dream about, St Kilda City and their situation keeps your Club off relegation in Div 1

Bedford upset as his beloved Ormond are odds on to plummet out of VAFA C grade and has to travel out to West Brunswick in 2024. He slags SFNL, but he is the one travelling all over Melbourne.
When was the last time i bagged the SFL Mr Bounce , i believe all southern clubs should be in the 1 competition

If you know SFL St Paul’s are a great Club but have had one major backer for 30 years so good luck to them and East Brighton went broke and in Div 2 for years now but are back spending again so see how that goes

If you know SFL St Paul’s are a great Club but have had one major backer for 30 years so good luck to them and East Brighton went broke and in Div 2 for years now but are back spending again so see how that goes
Yes I do know SFL agree St Paul’s have been the most consistent club since the advent of the SFL 30 years ago, but in all honesty Cheltenham who have pretty much played Div 1 for that whole period of time are the biggest underachievers. After all East Brighton (D2) and even Clayton (next year D4) have won more D1 flags. Even Parkdale who left the league 20 years ago (got taken over) have won more D1 pennants than Chelt.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Division 1 2023 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back