SFNL Division 1 2023 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

memory a little patchy due to wanting to forget about Covid years. In saying that, moving into a 2 team comp like SFNL (St.Pauls and St.Kilda City) and win the whole thing on debut has some weight to it imho.
2 team comp ? Dingley and Chelt far away the best 2 in Div 1 since 2019 Season

Cheltenham have a lot to show for it 🤣🤣

Bit harsh . Lost the gf by a goal on a shitty day. Could have gone either way.
Every-time we play them they are strong in the reserves and seniors and have a good supporter base and they always come in for a drink after the games. Hung around in good numbers in crappy cold weather a few weeks ago .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bit harsh . Lost the gf by a goal on a shitty day. Could have gone either way.
Every-time we play them they are strong in the reserves and seniors and have a good supporter base and they always come in for a drink after the games. Hung around in good numbers in crappy cold weather a few weeks ago .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Last year burns big time, I wasn’t there in 19 but last year so close

Narre will start in Div 2, if they showed there wares in Div 1 SFNL they may be a better chance but the weighting of playing in a sub par league like OEFL has deemed them a liability against the powerhouse clubs like Bombers, YCW, even Langwarrin who are doing ok to be competitive in Div 1 MPNFL this year
OEFNL is a far higher ranked league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you even talking about?!? MPNFL were ranked 2nd in 2020 while OEFNL were ranked 11th. There is no way they would have caught them in three years
I responded to a post stating that if narre had showed their form in the SFNL they would be more respected.
The OEFNL is better footy, the league rated much higher so Narre’s form there stacks up very well against anything they may have done had they crossed over to SFNL for a year or two.

Narre or Cranny highly doubtful getting accepted into the MPFNL need 75% of clubs to agree. Know 4 already who will definitely vote no. If it did happen Narre and cranny would be suited to Div 2. Neither Narre or Cranny would get within 12 goals of Dromana or Ycw

On the VAFA thread they were saying that 2 potential Div 1 clubs have inquired about joining their league. Who might that be?
I’d say St Kilda City would be one now that the funds have ran out and got no cash? But who would be the other? I doubt Bentleigh would go back? Thoughts

On the VAFA thread they were saying that 2 potential Div 1 clubs have inquired about joining their league. Who might that be?
I’d say St Kilda City would be one now that the funds have ran out and got no cash? But who would be the other? I doubt Bentleigh would go back? Thoughts
Could see City be interested in joining as they seek a cultural reset and seemingly have no money...
Doubts on Bentleigh, they seem to be building really strongly and would be hoping to challenge for the flag in the coming years as all these young boys develop.
Springvale perhaps? What is the benefit for a Div 1 club to move to the VAFA (likely Prem C/Div 1).

Not sure what the current provisions are in the VAFA, but they just don't let any club in, especially a club who has had a long standing history of paying players overs, whether they are currently there or not. In addition to this if you enter into the Ammos you start in D4 (division 7) which will have you travelling from Dandenong to Box Hill to Bundoora. I think this counts out St Kilda City who are on the brink.

Anyway, I think you'll find that the rumour of Div 1 clubs enquiring into the VAFA does have merit, except it wouldn't be for their senior teams to compete ;)

Last edited:
Could see City be interested in joining as they seek a cultural reset and seemingly have no money...
Doubts on Bentleigh, they seem to be building really strongly and would be hoping to challenge for the flag in the coming years as all these young boys develop.
Springvale perhaps? What is the benefit for a Div 1 club to move to the VAFA (likely Prem C/Div 1).
Who knows with St Kilda City, Bentleigh yet again in bottom 2 of Div 1 so you’d hope something happens there soon

If this does happen, then bedford's Southern Bayside proposal could come to fruition sooner rather than later after all if some of the divisional ammo clubs decide to join up with the SFL.
All it would take is one club like Bedford's Ormond to come across & the floodgates would open. No disrespect to any clubs but Glen Eira, Ormond et al will float around the C - D1 mark for eternity & have to travel to the Northern suburbs to do so. Long standing traditionally VAFA club committees will need to be forward thinkers & bite the bullet for the Footy Southern Bayside concept to come to fruition, just as the CSB clubs broke away from the VTCA

Exactly. I think we will need to see some activity on the MPNFL front first, though, before this process begins.

CSB was a clean break of southern clubs from the VTCA as a new competition. The added variable we have in this case is that there are clubs from two leagues involved (SFNL and VAFA) and they will need to merge to create the new entity.

There is the SFL/ESCFA merger as a precedent and can they use that as a template for change here, making any changes where necessary that didn't work out back in the early 90s. The composition of the divisions may not be perfect initially but in the space of a couple of years, the clubs will find their level and move forwards from there.

Lets not forget that the CSB wasn't just clubs breaking away from the VTCA (which had been focusing on the clubs in the North and West for years). It was the first stage in what Cricket Victoria wanted for regional based competitions, it was heavily supported by CV and potentially received vast funding.

Clubs were all playing against each other before the split, which helped the initial set up.

It is a great poster child and has been very very successful in its founding years to date.

Looking back on its formation it could have easily included a number of other turf clubs within close proximity.

Personally I think the southern suburbs would be better split into north and south. Probably at about Balcombe Rd / Lower Dandenong Rd.

South would be the SFNL clubs, MPFNL clubs and the old SEFNL clubs.

North would be the northern SFNL clubs and many VAFA clubs.

I think that works better in terms of travel / locality etc, when you consider the locations of clubs.

Inner South and the Outer South-East.

Its too big to have all one league, but two leagues would both be very strong.

Leave the school footy to the schoolboys.

Lets not forget that the CSB wasn't just clubs breaking away from the VTCA (which had been focusing on the clubs in the North and West for years). It was the first stage in what Cricket Victoria wanted for regional based competitions, it was heavily supported by CV and potentially received vast funding.

Clubs were all playing against each other before the split, which helped the initial set up.

It is a great poster child and has been very very successful in its founding years to date.

Looking back on its formation it could have easily included a number of other turf clubs within close proximity.
Incorrect some of that , clubs had had a gutful of the prick that was running the VTCA with his missus , terrible people and then there were clubs that didn't want to travel. Then there are clubs in the North like Spotswood and St Bernards who left because of these people
It never did receive vast funding at all and the stubbornness of the SDCA didn't help at all and it was left on its own .
It was set up a a turf competition , but now run by people who have no interest in mens cricket and it's all about juniors and women's cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Division 1 2023 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back