SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Beaumaris would not beat the top 7 in division 1 at the moment. They are going backwards and backwards fast. Look at St.Bedes…They have 5-6 of their ex scholars in the comp now too and they’ve won 1 game… But let’s stay SFNL Talk.

The hierarchy has posted the structure for next season…I believe it’s right for mordialloc and Chelsea to be relegated, makes for a tight tough comp next year, club would want to have their ducks in a row ….
I posted it , because Beauy might start thinking they would be better off in SFL , thanks for your thoughts

If you think 2015 SFNL Div 1 was a better standard than the last 3 years for instance then good luck to you but it wasn’t. No matter what a first time poster puts up, common opinion in suburban football circles is that the WRFL was only the lesser standard league in Melbourne back then
Yet the WRFL convincingly beat the SFL in the Metro inter-league at Princes Park in 2014

You sure about your assertion?

I posted it , because Beauy might start thinking they would be better off in SFL , thanks for your thoughts
I understand that, but you reckon the rich affluential tea sippers of leafy Beaumaris with the precarious position they find themselves in now will want to be starting Division 2 SFNL? On currency they are not starting Division 1.

I suggested Beaumaris should explore the idea of southern on a thread a while back but that was before recent events… they a close watch in what ever competition they decide to play in.

Inter-League in 2014 ? Seriously, most Senior players could care less about playing on a weekend off during a football season , especially during Winter

Was played in the pre season. From memory that was a more than competitive game of footy despite the loss. It was in 2015 where we got belted by a full strength EDFL side coached by Mick McGuane. We had 15 unavailable from the first selected squad, they had none!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was played in the pre season. From memory that was a more than competitive game of footy despite the loss. It was in 2015 where we got belted by a full strength EDFL side coached by Mick McGuane. We had 15 unavailable from the first selected squad, they had none!

EDFL players got paid $500 for their troubles as well which helped with their incentive to play. Just go ask the guy in the picture wearing the EDFL jumper ;)
1723006265957.png

Last edited:
St Kilda City and Chelsea Heights not happy about the double relegation.

Totally get it tbh, if it’s been sprung on them this late then it’s absolutely ridiculous.
Chelsea Heights were told back in May it was on the cards as were Bentleigh. I can’t read the article in the Leader but I’m not sure why they’d be surprised.

Last edited:

Totally get it tbh, if it’s been sprung on them this late then it’s absolutely ridiculous.
It is the right decision. Chelsea Heights have won 5/33 since being in division 1 and their reserves have a % of 10 and are 2/33 …Not really a recipe for arguing the toss on staying up. St.Kilda City on the other hand can count themselves unfortunate if they do indeed get relegated, the highett game earlier in season decided after the siren looks to be the defining factor if they are in fact victorious this time around.

In all honesty I’m all for 2 up 2 down on a consistent basis keeps the season alive longer for everyone if there happens to be a side who completely bottoms out and another club survives on just 2/3 wins. Strongest comp possible at all times should be the aim.

Maybe we could have a play off game for relegation?

Beena/Dovey vs Chelsea
Frankston/Heatherton/SouthMornington vs City

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Relegation is a big deal. At least 12 months notice for any changes to it imo.
So you propose 11 team Division 1? Ive watched Narre this season in a very average Outer East comp barely ticking but from my view- off field and on field they are primed to shake this comp. there is no world in which they start division 2. And if the mail is correct they have some top end troops returning - would win every game with an opposite arm and leg tied by 150+ in divi 2.

The Premier Division does not need the bye. Would be amateur hour and from the standard that I’ve watched in the handful of games of divi 1, the standard has risen considerably, adding narre you get another rise.

Divi 2 top 2/3 decent and Divi 3 of the 2 half games I’ve watched , better than the finals I’ve watched in the past, but these divisions you take the good with the bad generally.

So you propose 11 team Division 1? Ive watched Narre this season in a very average Outer East comp barely ticking but from my view- off field and on field they are primed to shake this comp. there is no world in which they start division 2. And if the mail is correct they have some top end troops returning - would win every game with an opposite arm and leg tied by 150+ in divi 2.

The Premier Division does not need the bye. Would be amateur hour and from the standard that I’ve watched in the handful of games of divi 1, the standard has risen considerably, adding narre you get another rise.

Divi 2 top 2/3 decent and Divi 3 of the 2 half games I’ve watched , better than the finals I’ve watched in the past, but these divisions you take the good with the bad generally.

Nope. I’d have promoted two from D2 to make a 12 team comp with Narre. One of the D2 clubs would take up the offer.

Then I’d do the same from D3 to fill the gap in D2 and make it 10 clubs. If no takers then Berwick Springs could go straight into D2.

12/10/8/8

Then next year it gets sorted back to 10/10/10/8

It’s a totally fine structure for one season, you just have a 12-club D1 with a weighted draw. Eastern had that for years.

I think you have to be fair and changing relegation rules with less than 12 months notice is terribly unfair in my book.

Seems from the vote that most clubs don’t care as they’re not affected. Pretty rough, they might find themselves in the same boat.

The biggest thing about relegation is it pretty much always costs you players, who don’t want to go down. A one-year reprieve can make a huge difference.

Expansion is generally good (and it is good in this case) but I think you have to look after the existing clubs when you’re doing it.

Nope. I’d have promoted two from D2 to make a 12 team comp with Narre. One of the D2 clubs would take up the offer.

Then I’d do the same from D3 to fill the gap in D2 and make it 10 clubs. If no takers then Berwick Springs could go straight into D2.

12/10/8/8

Then next year it gets sorted back to 10/10/10/8

It’s a totally fine structure for one season, you just have a 12-club D1 with a weighted draw. Eastern had that for years.

I think you have to be fair and changing relegation rules with less than 12 months notice is terribly unfair in my book.

Seems from the vote that most clubs don’t care as they’re not affected. Pretty rough, they might find themselves in the same boat.

The biggest thing about relegation is it pretty much always costs you players, who don’t want to go down. A one-year reprieve can make a huge difference.

Expansion is generally good (and it is good in this case) but I think you have to look after the existing clubs when you’re doing it.
Would a 12 team comp not therefore make it a 22 game h/a season? Plenty of teams are already limping to the line, adding an extra 4 weeks to the schedule would not help with that. 10 teams is the magic number.

Would a 12 team comp not therefore make it a 22 game h/a season? Plenty of teams are already limping to the line, adding an extra 4 weeks to the schedule would not help with that. 10 teams is the magic number.
Not enough weeks in the year to play everyone twice either so the fixture would be compromised. Don’t anyone give me this “top 6 play each twice and bottom 6 teams once” scenario

What the league have structured for next season is the common sense thing to do. Yeah I’d like to play everyone within a 10km radius with a Footy Southern Bayside set up, but your Parkdale, Beauy, Hampton Rovers & Ormond have now missed the boat

City having whinge.... I've heard it all now.

They thought D2 would be fine and they could have a rebuilding year, well guess what ladies and gents off to Div 3 you go.

That’s fine - if your attitude is the same when your club gets told in August that two are being relegated rather than one.

There’s nothing wrong with planning for a rebuilding year. You have to these days. But all clubs deserve to know where the goalposts are before the season.

Nobody gives a shit until it’s their club.

That’s fine - if your attitude is the same when your club gets told in August that two are being relegated rather than one.

There’s nothing wrong with planning for a rebuilding year. You have to these days. But all clubs deserve to know where the goalposts are before the season.

Nobody gives a shit until it’s their club.

Let’s be honest, could have had 12 months notice and they would still be where their at

Not enough weeks in the year to play everyone twice either so the fixture would be compromised. Don’t anyone give me this “top 6 play each twice and bottom 6 teams once” scenario

What the league have structured for next season is the common sense thing to do. Yeah I’d like to play everyone within a 10km radius with a Footy Southern Bayside set up, but your Parkdale, Beauy, Hampton Rovers & Ormond have now missed the boat
The Boats have set sail on those bayside clubs for interim especially from a division 1 perspective. They sat idle thinking SFNL was the pits, with their Committees promoting the amateur brand but being vocal about if the cross was to happen, division 1 only… now that the comp is stronger and growing by the week they have pricked their ears to a degree… as I mentioned in an earlier post the movement of the high end St.Bedes boys and Beaumaris losing quite a few out the doors in past pre seasons and bedford pushing the bayside cartel into southern , The south east amateur clubs are stupid to not consider making the move within the next 12- 24 months even if Division 1 isn’t on table. Interesting Times ahead

Current Chelt team vs Dingley 3 peat not sure if you will be able to compare as football has changed, as it has from the late 2000's peak St Kilda City teams, or the St Pauls/EB teams of 2011-13 team which was full of stars like McIntyre, Mercoulia, Wilson, LJ, Gilberts x 2, Marasco, Ambrose, Allan, Barnes etc.

One thing i've noticed is the players are way more fitter and stronger, not necessarily more skilled but definitely more fitter.

Current Chelt team vs Dingley 3 peat not sure if you will be able to compare as football has changed, as it has from the late 2000's peak St Kilda City teams, or the St Pauls/EB teams of 2011-13 team which was full of stars like McIntyre, Mercoulia, Wilson, LJ, Gilberts x 2, Marasco, Ambrose, Allan, Barnes etc.

One thing i've noticed is the players are way more fitter and stronger, not necessarily more skilled but definitely more fitter.
This is 🎯. Fitter , Stronger perhaps quicker but in my long time watching local football, the skills are definitely not what they were 10-15 years ago. The St.Pauls / East Brighton era of 2010-2014 defeats the Dingley 3 peat in my view. Some ridicously talented and gifted users. None the less it’s a great debate and all eras will say they were the better of them. Once upon a time you barely saw a player who was poor by foot or in other words struggled to kick a drop punt. As per most levels now it’s more athletic based x skill than the other way round.

Vamps 2014 team is much fitter than Vamps 2024 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFNL Division 1 2024 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back