Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

A few whispers that he is staying. So I guess that is likely. But I'm not happy about the wait.

I think that some good sized inside mids around him will be necessary long term This year is a shambles. It'll be interesting to see what the Tigers try and bring in to rebuild the crash and bash part of the midfield. Get some decent hammer and tongs guys around him and Shai could be anything.

A few whispers that he is staying. So I guess that is likely. But I'm not happy about the wait.

I think that some good sized inside mids around him will be necessary long term This year is a shambles. It'll be interesting to see what the Tigers try and bring in to rebuild the crash and bash part of the midfield. Get some decent hammer and tongs guys around him and Shai could be anything.

Assuming Cotchin retires it appears a formality that the Tigers will try and grab one of M.Crouch, Dunstan, Mitchell or a similar type you’d think.

Assuming Cotchin retires it appears a formality that the Tigers will try and grab one of M.Crouch, Dunstan, Mitchell or a similar type you’d think.
Crouch or Dunstan seems a good idea for Richmond.

They could bring Cerra in and have Crouch/Dunstan feeding him and Bolton. Completely re-invigorate their midfield in one off-season.

Would imagine they need at least 1.2m in capspace though so would likely need to shed more than just Cotchin

Wallis, Narkle on the radar.

Hope RCD develops fairly quickly - but still has a way to go physically and fitness.

Given our stocks of young inside mids we look OK in about 3 years. So a cheap stop gap fix would be OK.

However top end quality is what we really need in the midfield. That's where we need to try and draft quality or trade in Cerra and go for one of the GWS mids that'll be pushed out by the astronomical long term salaries of their established stars - I want Green. I know it's all dreams and wishes, but our salary cap is OK going forward (older guys taking unders and deals structured to have some free space). So to get genuine quality players will require them taking unders. Which is possible if they can be sold the dream - regeneration of a multiple premiership squad for another tilt at the title. But I'm not holding my breath. Still if we don't get the good trades we get good draft picks. Worse places to be.

Crouch or Dunstan seems a good idea for Richmond.

They could bring Cerra in and have Crouch/Dunstan feeding him and Bolton. Completely re-invigorate their midfield in one off-season.

Would imagine they need at least 1.2m in capspace though so would likely need to shed more than just Cotchin

JR and Cotch taking much less (plus others?), plus salary deal structured to have some space available means that a good bit of that $1.2m is available. Last year we had about $500K for Crouch, who took more at StK. You'd guess that retirements, trades etc are required to make it all work. Although teams do make magic work sometimes - Geelong last year.

JR and Cotch taking much less (plus others?), plus salary deal structured to have some space available means that a good bit of that $1.2m is available. Last year we had about $500K for Crouch, who took more at StK. You'd guess that retirements, trades etc are required to make it all work. Although teams do make magic work sometimes - Geelong last year.

I’m not sure Cerra is good enough to both pay a huge salary and give up significant draft assets for which I expect he’ll require both.

Mitch Wallis is the one. And Quinton Narkle. Narkle to Richmond is just about done.

And then there's Tom Green, but that one is a long shot imo.

I’m not sure Cerra is good enough to both pay a huge salary and give up significant draft assets for which I expect he’ll require both.

I wouldn't expect a huge salary, certainly not $700k. But we have space. Remember last year we offered Crouch $500k, and he took more at the Saints. So we have about $500k + JR, Cotch, Astbury (?) and Bachar (?). It points to us being able to pay one really big wage or two solid wages. Cerra isn't in the Dusty level of value, so if we get him for a good, but not really high, wage then we have space for another similar deal.

As far as the trade required. First plus a player make sense to me. But then I'm not involved in trading :moustache:

I wouldn't expect a huge salary, certainly not $700k. But we have space. Remember last year we offered Crouch $500k, and he took more at the Saints. So we have about $500k + JR, Cotch, Astbury (?) and Bachar (?). It points to us being able to pay one really big wage or two solid wages. Cerra isn't in the Dusty level of value, so if we get him for a good, but not really high, wage then we have space for another similar deal.

As far as the trade required. First plus a player make sense to me. But then I'm not involved in trading :moustache:
Salary cap is way more complex than that, the Tigers may have back ended contracts. Just because they had 'x' last year it doesn't mean it is still around.

Bolton will also be after a big pay day, CCJ will also need a pay rise.

Richmond may have space i have no idea but these estimates are pure guesses.

Salary cap is way more complex than that, the Tigers may have back ended contracts. Just because they had 'x' last year it doesn't mean it is still around.

Of course it is more complex, I completely agree.

But we had about $500K last year for a multi year contract. So we probably moved $ around, brought forward payments to some of the guys etc. The reduction in salary for Cotch JR etc will have been forecast as well.

However, given the amount of $ available and that some of the big salaries are going down I'd guess that we have some spare room. It might be $700K, or it might be 1.2m, or it might be $500K. I don't know. However, the guys we are rumoured to be after are younger mids worth more than the likely pay day they'd get. So my guess (and it's just a guess) is that we have enough for a really big deal, but plan on a refresh with emerging talented players if we can. If we can do that and keep picks we've smashed it out of the park.

Based on recent form I would be balls deep into Dunstans management if I was m Clarke
Dunno if we would be willing to pay enough to get him over the line but can’t hurt to try

But doesn't every club front end contracts ?
why would Richmond be the only club different

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I bet GWS are sitting back hoping a club comes out and offers him a million per year, like what seems to happen to them every time they have a star that comes out of
contract.

Based on recent form I would be balls deep into Dunstans management if I was m Clarke
Dunno if we would be willing to pay enough to get him over the line but can’t hurt to try

Have been keen on Dunstan for a lot of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Shai Bolton [Re-signed to 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back