Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that making this statement after winning the spoon is drawing a long bow don't you?

Bolton will make you win...

But Bolton is a cream type of player...

He is a very good player. I hope we get him. He is also very inconsistent and paid as if he were prime Dusty. He isn't, and that is ok. There are not many players in the last 100 years who are close to prime Dusty. I just don't think his value should be based on:

What Richmond foolishly decided to pay him. That should decrease his value.
What he looked like in a dominant premiership team.
How he performed next to one of the most dominant mid/forwards in the game, who took a lot of focus off Bolton.

And 2024 has to count. It seems like Tiger fans want everyone to forget how he performed this season. Which was inconsistent at best.

Is he a good to very good player? Yes.
Is he a great player? Maybe, but part of greatness is consistency and he is not consistent.
Did he perform week in and week out in 24? No.

Hope you don't get him with this sort of attitude for such a dynamic player.

I guarantee the second he is traded your Richmond board will shit on him.
So, cut the smugness attitude like you lot are higher and mightier.

Both set of supporters will 180.

Don’t act like you guys won’t.

Not even sure you are reading what people write now.

I never compared him to Dusty, but I said he gets marked very harshly JUST LIKE DUSTY. There is no comparison there to Dusty's ability, age or otherwise. Seems like you have a position you are trying to push.

I don't mind debating with Freo supporters Boltons worth but clearly you have a position that you are trying to justify for some reason.

As for his year, it was a middling year for him, whether thats a result of him or not, is up to perception. I got to every game in Melbourne, and have said numerous times in here, Yze got Bolton all wrong this year, particularly once all the injuries we had this year started to hit. There were so many times that we would see him behind the last defender, just waiting for us to extract the ball and get it forward for him to run onto, but of course we couldn't extract it, and he was therefore left standing around like a pleb. You call it he was a ghost, but the gameplan of where we tried to play him this year certainly didn't help him.

Regardless, look at the stats I posted, he wasn't that far off what he did back in 2022 when he also played forward a lot more. As I said, 2023 he played on ball a lot more, hence the spike in disposals, but drop off in goals.

In 2024, he played in the worst team in the league, crippled by injuries, to still be there in that very small group yet again is testament to how good he actually is. Plonk him in your forward line, and his disposals probably stay in that 17-18 range, goals around 2 (bear in mind scoring shots are closer to 4 - tidy up some of his kicking for goal and he will yet again appear in that list but also be 1 of the best in it).

But again, keep trying to sell that he was average in 2024 despite only 18 players competition wide getting into that group again (of which there were zero Freo players).

Bolton is an elite player regardless of what BF posters say, he's a player you go to the footy pretty much to watch, and there aren't many of those, in the last 10 years, we've probably had 3 that you would go just to be marveled by these guys, Rance, Dusty and Shai, and most importantly he's EXACTLY WHAT YOUR CLUB NEEDS.

Not sure why you keep trying to push this rhetoric that there is some risk around his 2024 form rolling into how he will perform in 2025. Its a nonsense rhetoric.

You literally compared him to Dusty. As a reminder:

Shai (like Dusty) is marked incredibly harshly by supporters and the media based on his past abilities. Take Dusty in 2023 - 23.6 touches and 1.3 goals per game, again in this group, yet somehow people were saying he'd been crap for most of the year, but then when people sat back and looked at the stats, were going, how wasn't this guy on the AA HF line.

You introduce Dusty into the conversation and say (like dusty) - you are saying that like Dusty he is marked harshly. I am saying he isn't marked harshly and want you to answer the simple questions I keep asking.

You have answered - 'He had a middling year'. So average to good. Thank you.

Not sure why you keep trying to push this rhetoric that there is some risk around his 2024 form rolling into how he will perform in 2025. Its a nonsense rhetoric.

This is due to his most recent year being 'Middling' or average to good.

Pretending there is zero risk is the nonsense.

I think you are forgetting the group of freo fans who don't want him at all - as they have ptsd from trades.

I want him, so my rhetoric wont change. I also hope he irons out the massive inconsistency in his game.

Not from me you won't. I'd happily welcome Shai back. As I said, he's the type of player that makes you want to go to the footy even when you are crap. Its going to be much less fun going to the footy without him in our side next year.

Not from me you won't. I'd happily welcome Shai back. As I said, he's the type of player that makes you want to go to the footy even when you are crap. Its going to be much less fun going to the footy without him in our side next year.

You’ll have a whole bunch of shiny toys to look at. That’s always fun.

You literally compared him to Dusty. As a reminder:

Shai (like Dusty) is marked incredibly harshly by supporters and the media based on his past abilities. Take Dusty in 2023 - 23.6 touches and 1.3 goals per game, again in this group, yet somehow people were saying he'd been crap for most of the year, but then when people sat back and looked at the stats, were going, how wasn't this guy on the AA HF line.

You introduce Dusty into the conversation and say (like dusty) - you are saying that like Dusty he is marked harshly. I am saying he isn't marked harshly and want you to answer the simple questions I keep asking.

You have answered - 'He had a middling year'. So average to good. Thank you.

This is due to his most recent year being 'Middling' or average to good.

Pretending there is zero risk is the nonsense.

Hope you don't get him. There is only a future risk around injury with him (no different to anyone else). His form hasn't dropped away no matter how much you say it has. Take a look at the stats that I showed. If its dropped away a touch, its because of the way he has been used and how bad we have been. To assume that he (playing as a small forward mainly this year) won't be impacted by the team being poor is a ridiculous opinion.

I didn't compare him to Dusty's ability or age which is what you'd originally commented on, only that he's marked harshly, but obviously you watching on TV, know more about our players when we watch them at the ground week in week out.

You do realise that making this statement after winning the spoon is drawing a long bow don't you?

Bolton will make you win...

But Bolton is a cream type of player...

He is a very good player. I hope we get him. He is also very inconsistent and paid as if he were prime Dusty. He isn't, and that is ok. There are not many players in the last 100 years who are close to prime Dusty. I just don't think his value should be based on:

What Richmond foolishly decided to pay him. That should decrease his value.
What he looked like in a dominant premiership team.
How he performed next to one of the most dominant mid/forwards in the game, who took a lot of focus off Bolton.

And 2024 has to count. It seems like Tiger fans want everyone to forget how he performed this season. Which was inconsistent at best.

Is he a good to very good player? Yes.
Is he a great player? Maybe, but part of greatness is consistency and he is not consistent.
Did he perform week in and week out in 24? No.
Strange rant and makes little to no sense.

If you dont think Shai in the Freo team has you playing finals this year you are delusional.
His 2024 as already explained to you was elite for a mid/fwd, just not at the same level he has played previously when in a good team. Freo being a good team will see the best of him, freo as a wooden spoon team would not, get it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange rant and makes little to no sense.

If you dont think Shai in the Freo team has you playing finals this year you are delusional.
His 2024 as already explained to you was elite for a mid/fwd, just not at the same level he has played previously when in a good team. Freo being a good team will see the best of him, freo as a wooden spoon team would not, get it?

So you agree his 2024 wasn't as good as previous seasons. And we would have to hope that he improves in a better team. He can be a great player but is inconsistent and that is a risk we will have to take.

I do hope we get him. There is some risk. I do think he will be better than in 24 but that doesn't mean he is risk free. It also doesn't mean that 9 and 16 won't sting.

Now show me the gulf between our opinions. I am not the one who said he had a middling year.

Hope you don't get him. There is only a future risk around injury with him (no different to anyone else). His form hasn't dropped away no matter how much you say it has. Take a look at the stats that I showed. If its dropped away a touch, its because of the way he has been used and how bad we have been. To assume that he (playing as a small forward mainly this year) won't be impacted by the team being poor is a ridiculous opinion.

I didn't compare him to Dusty's ability or age which is what you'd originally commented on, only that he's marked harshly, but obviously you watching on TV, know more about our players when we watch them at the ground week in week out.

So his year was middling, then his form hasn't dropped off and now it is only a touch. I think you need to get your own story straight.

So his year was middling, then his form hasn't dropped off and now it is only a touch. I think you need to get your own story straight.

Who said his year was middling? I didn't, that was your word and you'd be wrong. His stats and his performances aren't that far off, and most of that drop off (and again using your words, he was a "ghost" in some games) was due to how poor we were at times and how often he was left languishing forward.

Go back to the stats I showed you. 4 players, I repeat 4 players, have 15 disposals plus at least a goal in each of the last 3 seasons. Shai played forward for much of the year hence his disposal drop off but increase in scoring from 2023.

You can claim all you want, but he's not that far off his previous years this year, but whatever, believe what you want.

If you seriously think he has form issues, or thats a risk for you next year, then as I said, I hope you don't get him and I get to go to the G again next year being able to watch Shai, and yet again we'll watch your club under achieve as usual.

Who said his year was middling? I didn't, that was your word and you'd be wrong. His stats and his performances aren't that far off, and most of that drop off (and again using your words, he was a "ghost" in some games) was due to how poor we were at times and how often he was left languishing forward.

Go back to the stats I showed you. 4 players, I repeat 4 players, have 15 disposals plus at least a goal in each of the last 3 seasons. Shai played forward for much of the year hence his disposal drop off but increase in scoring from 2023.

You can claim all you want, but he's not that far off his previous years this year, but whatever, believe what you want.

If you seriously think he has form issues, or thats a risk for you next year, then as I said, I hope you don't get him and I get to go to the G again next year being able to watch Shai, and yet again we'll watch your club under achieve as usual.

You need to get your story straight mate:

As for his year, it was a middling year for him, whether thats a result of him or not, is up to perception.

Now who was it that said his year was 'middling'?

As you seem to struggle I will refer to your own board.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 9.12.38 am.png

Sounds like consistency is an issue... In case you think I am cherry picking I will add more for you, regarding his middling year. Your assessment of his year, not mine.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 9.22.42 am.png

There was the occasional defender of him, and reference to his inconsistency and that his best is great. All of which I agree.

Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 9.22.22 am.png

It takes all types on a footy board and I don't agree with everyone on the freo board. Just don't pretend that my observations are nonsense.

Freo fans will be calling for Shai to be in the AA team next year.
He is the most naturally talented player we have had in the last 10 years and that includes more naturally talented than Dusty, Rance, Cotchin, Edwards, Reiwoldt.

His problem is that he is still potential.
He shows flashes but cant stay at an elite level for a whole season.
If he can, pick 9 & 10 is a bargain for him.

Freo fans will be calling for Shai to be in the AA team next year.
He is the most naturally talented player we have had in the last 10 years and that includes more naturally talented than Dusty, Rance, Cotchin, Edwards, Reiwoldt.

His problem is that he is still potential.
He shows flashes but cant stay at an elite level for a whole season.
If he can, pick 9 & 10 is a bargain for him.

Q: Would you take him over prime, Rance, Dusty or Cotchin?

I wouldn't, but that is due to their ridiculous consistency. It isn't talked about enough, but, Cotchin was probably a top three mid in the league for a long time with little to no support. Amazing player. He did it when they were struggling as well.

At 25 you think pick 9 & 10 is great for someone who hasn't played to their potential?

Most smaller players are at their peak by 25. A big guy is different.

I hope we get him. I would be pissed with 9 and 10. 9 & 16 is overs and would sting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back