Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

If the goal post is can a player help win a premiership, then we could make the argument that any of the 23 who played on the weekend is worth picks 9 & 10.

That is a bad argument and one that cannot be applied to one players worth. I think you can see that.

I am pleased you are not saying his form or consistency is worth 9 & 10. Just that he could help us win a premiership and that would be worth 9 & 10. Sure, but it is an illogical argument.
Ok.
Agree to disagree.
Good luck to Freo and the chase of maybe taking a risk to win a flag.

You need to get your story straight mate:

As for his year, it was a middling year for him, whether thats a result of him or not, is up to perception.

Now who was it that said his year was 'middling'?

As you seem to struggle I will refer to your own board.

View attachment 2127752

Sounds like consistency is an issue... In case you think I am cherry picking I will add more for you, regarding his middling year. Your assessment of his year, not mine.

View attachment 2127756

There was the occasional defender of him, and reference to his inconsistency and that his best is great. All of which I agree.

View attachment 2127757

It takes all types on a footy board and I don't agree with everyone on the freo board. Just don't pretend that my observations are nonsense.
Got a bit of excess time on your hands do you!!

So you don't have people on your boards that go ridiculously over the top on game day threads? Nope. Oh right just us then maybe.

As I've repeatedly said, Shai (and Dusty before him) get marked ridiculously high, just because their top is so so good. Like Top 5 players in the comp good. Not many players can hold that level of quality every game, they will have dips, and these players get potted when they go below that top level ability.

I could almost guarantee you if you got him for 9 or 10 and 16, you'll be crowing about this in a years time saying, how did we fleece Richmond for him for so cheap. He's one of the best players in the comp. How you can think getting someone like Shai for 9 and 16 "would sting" shows how little you realise how good he is.

Nobody is worth 9 and 10 unless they're a top five player in the competition, that sort of trade is reserved for those situations.

When was the last time a top 5 player in the comp was traded? Just want to compare reality to your philosophical trade value. I assume you will quote either Cameron or Dangerfield, who were both free agents and leaving, so the trades were done to get them better value than the 1 pick they'd get through free agency compo, so a trade that wasn't as a result of free agency.

When was the last time a top 5 player in the comp was traded? Just want to compare reality to your philosophical trade value. I assume you will quote either Cameron or Dangerfield, who were both free agents and leaving, so the trades were done to get them better value than the 1 pick they'd get through free agency compo, so a trade that wasn't as a result of free agency.
I'm not talking about any past trades, I'm saying that unless a player is in the elite of the elite of the competition, they're not worth two top 10 picks, that's overs for pretty much 99% of the competition, I couldn't name you 10 players worth that trade currency.

I'm not talking about any past trades, I'm saying that unless a player is in the elite of the elite of the competition, they're not worth two top 10 picks, that's overs for pretty much 99% of the competition, I couldn't name you 10 players worth that trade currency.
I completely agree, you have convinced me, so what Freo should do, is go get Pickett or Warner because for what he is Shai is way too expensive in draft picks, let him rot at Richmond

Win/Win

So you agree his 2024 wasn't as good as previous seasons. And we would have to hope that he improves in a better team. He can be a great player but is inconsistent and that is a risk we will have to take.

I do hope we get him. There is some risk. I do think he will be better than in 24 but that doesn't mean he is risk free. It also doesn't mean that 9 and 16 won't sting.

Now show me the gulf between our opinions. I am not the one who said he had a middling year.
He was outstanding in 2024 but he was also impacted by playing in a losing team. Have a look zt the start of his year where he was playing mostly forward. Up until about Round 8 from memory and he was leading all small forwards in goals. He then had an extended period where he played as a forward in a team where most of their first choice mids were injured so his goal kicking stats went down and for the rest of the year he played onball most of the time so his clearance stats skyrocketed, In my view 9 and 16 is good deal for both teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I completely agree, you have convinced me, so what Freo should do, is go get Pickett or Warner because for what he is Shai is way too expensive in draft picks, let him rot at Richmond

Win/Win
Oh well it'll be fun when we get Bolton for exactly what's been discussed on here.

9 and 16.

The other way to look at it is what players do you get in those trades. Lets assume only Ashcroft is bid on in the top 10, so these picks would be 10 and 11 in the draft, so who has been picked at those picks in the past.

2014 - Nakia Cockatoo and Liam Duggan
2015 - Harry MacKay and Wayne Milera
2016 - Jack Bowes and Oli Florent
2017 - Lochie O'Brien and Aiden Bonar
2018 - Nick Blakey and Jye Caldwell
2019 - Tom Green and Sam Flanders
2020 - Zach Reid and Luke Pedlar
2021 - Neil Erasmus and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
2022 - Mattaes Phillipou and Oliver Hollands
2023 - Nathan Caddy and Connor O'Sullivan

I get what you are saying, but would I pick many of these combos over Shai? Maybe a few of them but most I would prefer to keep Shai.

BTW - If we got 9 and 10, I'd expect something coming back to you, maybe 3rds. If you push hard, maybe 29 (we might ask for a future pick) but you'd definately get something back and we'd most likely pay about $500k of Shais salary until the end of his current contract, which keeps your salary cap alive for Warner if he's a chance next year.

The other way to look at it is what players do you get in those trades. Lets assume only Ashcroft is bid on in the top 10, so these picks would be 10 and 11 in the draft, so who has been picked at those picks in the past.

2014 - Nakia Cockatoo and Liam Duggan
2015 - Harry MacKay and Wayne Milera
2016 - Jack Bowes and Oli Florent
2017 - Lochie O'Brien and Aiden Bonar
2018 - Nick Blakey and Jye Caldwell
2019 - Tom Green and Sam Flanders
2020 - Zach Reid and Luke Pedlar
2021 - Neil Erasmus and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
2022 - Mattaes Phillipou and Oliver Hollands
2023 - Nathan Caddy and Connor O'Sullivan

I get what you are saying, but would I pick many of these combos over Shai? Maybe a few of them but most I would prefer to keep Shai.

BTW - If we got 9 and 10, I'd expect something coming back to you, maybe 3rds. If you push hard, maybe 29 (we might ask for a future pick) but you'd definately get something back and we'd most likely pay about $500k of Shais salary until the end of his current contract, which keeps your salary cap alive for Warner if he's a chance next year.
Or just pick better lol

Bet I can find a sick combo within 5 picks after each of those years

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back