News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

If he had managed to stay injury free (but what are the odds of that?) we would unquestionably have been a better side in 2024 with McAdam still in it. But it's not like he was the difference between us pushing for a flag or not. He'll turn 30 next year, so still has a few years to prove his worth to Melbourne.

The task now is to do something worthwhile with the second-round pick. Most likely we will trade it to avoid having it just swallowed up by the Welsh bid.
Dobt the club would be thinking it would be required for Tyler Welsh in any form. Maybe if he kicks a bag today and the Crows SANFL make the finals and he kicks a couple more bags. Doubt a bid comes in before our 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th round.

Dobt the club would be thinking it would be required for Tyler Welsh in any form. Maybe if he kicks a bag today and the Crows SANFL make the finals and he kicks a couple more bags. Doubt a bid comes in before our 2nd, maybe 3rd or 4th round.
I know we vehemently disagree on the value of the bottom age U18 ratings .....but all of Welsh, and the Camporale twins were 1st round rated at years start ...top 12

IMO Welsh hasn't done any worse this year ....and Camporale twins likewise, moreso one

So how do we explain them not being in top 30 now ?

I know we vehemently disagree on the value of the bottom age U18 ratings .....but all of Welsh, and the Camporale twins were 1st round rated at years start ...top 12

IMO Welsh hasn't done any worse this year ....and Camporale twins likewise, moreso one

And what one thing do all players have in common?

In Welsh's case if he'd played out the season with the WWT U18's with maybe a squirt or 2 in the reserves and been more a focus with our inside 50's entries for SA at the Nationals that could have seen an altogether different scenario. Instead he's been getting frostbite in a forward pocket for a generally underperforming Crows SANFL team with a lot of top ups that are country/ammo standard.

And what one thing do all players have in common?

In Welsh's case if he'd played out the season with the WWT U18's with maybe a squirt or 2 in the reserves and been more a focus with our inside 50's entries for SA at the Nationals that could have seen an altogether different scenario. Instead he's been getting frostbite in a forward pocket for a generally underperforming Crows SANFL team with a lot of top ups that are country/ammo standard.
Wouldn't recruiters have paid more attention to his U18 National ?

Wouldn't recruiters have paid more attention to his U18 National ?
Did you watch the Nationals?

Much the same as the Crows SANFL team, underperforming SA U18's team where the obvious focus by Bamford and the coaches with our meagre forward entries always directed at the two 200cm tall towers Charlie Nicholls and Tallan Rosenzwieg with Welsh basically playing the crumbing forward role. My only thought there is they knew Tyler was going to the Crows so they gave the exposure to the two tall towers.

Did you watch the Nationals?

Much the same as the Crows SANFL team, underperforming SA U18's team where the obvious focus by Bamford and the coaches with our meagre forward entries always directed at the two 200cm tall towers Charlie Nicholls and Tallan Rosenzwieg with Welsh basically playing the crumbing forward role. My only thought there is they knew Tyler was going to the Crows so they gave the exposure to the two tall towers.
I watch the Nationals after the footy season is finished & we're all talking Draft

Hopefully you're right. If it's line ball, I imagine they'll play it safe.

Still need to do something with the pick.

The outcome of the deal determined at the point of trade. How Talent ID/List Management utilise the assets required is irrelevant. If you trade Jake Lever for pick 1 and select Chayce Jones, it doesn't mean that you did a bad deal. It means that your Talent ID crew have stuffed up. Similarly, if Jack Watts and Rory Sloane were in the same draft, had Melbourne swapped 1 for 44 and selected Sloane, wouldn't have made that deal a success in their favour.

If he had managed to stay injury free (but what are the odds of that?) we would unquestionably have been a better side in 2024 with McAdam still in it. But it's not like he was the difference between us pushing for a flag or not. He'll turn 30 next year, so still has a few years to prove his worth to Melbourne.

The task now is to do something worthwhile with the second-round pick. Most likely we will trade it to avoid having it just swallowed up by the Welsh bid.

I doubt anyone is bidding on Welsh before 30, he's a slug.

SA was shown up on the national stage.

Welsh has largely had a very mediocre year, and hasn't shown yet how he'll overcome his tweener status at the top level.

SA was shown up on the national stage.

Welsh has largely had a very mediocre year, and hasn't shown yet how he'll overcome his tweener status at the top level.
Hard marker on Welsh, basically played forward pocket in 2 largely underperforming teams, the SA U18's were barely competitive and clearly a coaching focus for the forward entries to be directed at the 2 tall towers Rosenzweig and Nicholls.
Then we have the Crows SANFL team mostly under strength for most of the year with our poor injury run thus teams made up of too many ammos hardly SANFL reserves class....and once again forward entries directed at Gollant, Burgess, Himmelberg etc.

How do you think Tyler goes playing U18's like most of the other draftees where he is the focus point..most of the draftees that got a couple of VFL games or the WA lads in the WAFL actually mostly played in competitive teams as well.

I thought this was a thread about Shane McAdam? Good conversation but probably belongs to the drafting thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought this was a thread about Shane McAdam? Good conversation but probably belongs to the drafting thread.
Is Shane McAdam really of any further interest to this board?
He made his bed now he has to lay in it...one things for sure his move to the Dees didn't work out the way he planned spending most of the year playing VFL or nursing soft tissue issues.

Hard marker on Welsh, basically played forward pocket in 2 largely underperforming teams, the SA U18's were barely competitive and clearly a coaching focus for the forward entries to be directed at the 2 tall towers Rosenzweig and Nicholls.
Then we have the Crows SANFL team mostly under strength for most of the year with our poor injury run thus teams made up of too many ammos hardly SANFL reserves class....and once again forward entries directed at Gollant, Burgess, Himmelberg etc.

How do you think Tyler goes playing U18's like most of the other draftees where he is the focus point..most of the draftees that got a couple of VFL games or the WA lads in the WAFL actually mostly played in competitive teams as well.
It's certainly been interesting to see Draper and Welsh have very good sanfl performances despite a pretty average championships.

Slug?? Did he kill your cat or something. Have you not seen the kids straight line speed hes lightning

Slug of a player, one dimensional, not worthy of a high draft pick. And I don’t have a cat. He’s massively overated around these parts because he’s effectively already on the list. But the likelihood he goes pre 30 is very slim.

Slug of a player, one dimensional, not worthy of a high draft pick. And I don’t have a cat. He’s massively overated around these parts because he’s effectively already on the list. But the likelihood he goes pre 30 is very slim.

I don’t think he’ll make it as a key forward but you’re being a bit harsh. If he gets fit he can be a superb wingman or high forward.

I don’t think he’ll make it as a key forward but you’re being a bit harsh. If he gets fit he can be a superb wingman or high forward.
Ideally he'll play a similar role to Jake Stringer who I think he has similar attributes to....getting the opportunities at AFL level at the AFC could be a problem for him however given our reluctance to play the youngsters unless they are absolutely knocking the door down in the 2's.

What I saw of him, which admittedly wasn't a lot, was someone without a lot of lateral ability or intent. The way his name has plummeted down the expected rankings, there's got to be some perceived limitations being exposed. Maybe I've headed down the wrong path, but even if so, at least one path seems to exist.

Ideally he'll play a similar role to Jake Stringer who I think he has similar attributes to....getting the opportunities at AFL level at the AFC could be a problem for him however given our reluctance to play the youngsters unless they are absolutely knocking the door down in the 2's.

Geez, you've arrived late to the party, but welcome anyway.

from a live look at him on the weekend just gone, he looks like he will need a very good fitness program to drop the weight and build the tank, but IF he can, then there is a real player there

In reality, with how we’ve gone this year (and beyond, as long as we keep Nicks), he wasn’t going to help us in our next flag tilt. Getting pick 25 is very good business (though probably unexpectedly good)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back