Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R7 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

People need to remember Jones is coming off a Lisfranc injury late last year. I thought he was steadily building until then, for the first time in his career. We should be cutting him some slack. I think he's doing alright considering.
I think he's doing fine. Strong defensively and does the right thing with the ball when he gets it.

Obviously needs more production but I feel that comes.

I think he's doing fine. Strong defensively and does the right thing with the ball when he gets it.

Obviously needs more production but I feel that comes.
If he’s not physically ready he should be playing SANFL to find his game back. This isn’t some Mickey Mouse comp where we can play him back to form and fitness without consequences.

He’s far from doing fine, his form has been ordinary except for a couple of patches.

You really can't judge much of this 'win'...

Outside some individual brilliance of Rankine, Tex and Dawson - our 'opponent' was absolutely pathetic.

Norf are barely SANFL standard. A bowl of jelly would have more spine than Norf.

Lets see how we back up against the PAPs even though they have a few injuries.
Since that Freo game, I do think our form has been decent. It would obviously look a lot better if we got that win against Essendon (who are looking a decent team this year). I don't think we are tracking much worse than Port over the last month.

In hindsight that performance against Geelong is not looking as bad either given they are putting far better teams than us to the sword this year; did not see this level of form from them this year! Clear standout by a mile so far.

Overall the season is disappointing as a whole and I want a cleanout off the field, but just beat the *ers this Thursday night and celebrate with Curtin in the middle of the team song!

Since that Freo game, I do think our form has been decent. It would obviously look a lot better if we got that win against Essendon (who are looking a decent team this year). I don't think we are tracking much worse than Port over the last month.

In hindsight that performance against Geelong is not looking as bad either given they are putting far better teams than us to the sword this year; did not see this level of form from them this year! Clear standout by a mile so far.

Overall the season is disappointing as a whole and I want a cleanout off the field, but just beat the *ers this Thursday night and celebrate with Curtin in the middle of the team song!
Essendon flogged us, if they had kicked straight the scoreboard would have shown it.

I think the penny has dropped with Rowey and he knows the game was just some wallpaper over the cracks.

His take after the game was that North were terrible and allowed the Crows to play how they want to play and if he was Port he'd be ignoring that game and watching the Geelong, Melbourne and Essendon games

Last edited:
There's a lot in your good post to comment on:
Good:
The Worrell / Michalanney tag team absolutely annihilating the Roos forward line with intercept play. Was the highlight of the day for me.
Keane’s continued good form confirming that we don’t need Petty. We need a midfield.
Agreed; I thought the 3 of them were very solid with their intercept marking a feature.
Dawson BOG, and his kicking accuracy looks to be returning - let’s see if he can replicate that against a side that doesn’t deserve to be relegated though.
Somewhat unfair. Dawson has all ready demonstrated that. 20 Brownlow votes last year.
5 times bog/3 votes.
Himmelberg and Cook were pleasant surprises. It really feels like the quality of opponent is a factor here too though lol. I was particularly happy with Cook’s effort levels. He was clearly told to increase them or he’d be out. Certainly earned himself a gig in the Showdown squad.
Himmelberg especially surprised me yesterday. His goalsquare miss was appalling but his mark-and-goal shortly after that was very good.
But as you said "quality of opponent is a factor", for sure.
Likewise:
Sholl predictably got the skis out. He is made for days like today. Forgive me if I don’t trust it.
I don't either. Under NM-type non-pressure Sholl looked good, but he and McTurdry will get thrown around and croonched mercilessly if they play on Thursday.
Rankine with a number of moments of brilliance.
His goal after the brilliant Rachele nutmeg :thumbsupv1:, first class.
Tex looked very sharp - too unselfish for mine though, including moments where he was in a better position than a teammate.
The NM defender on the mark had obviously not watched the candy he sold to Aliir last year before dobbing a 50m blinder off his LEFT foot. Another NM defender had, though; he was out to Tex's right to block off the dummy to the L and kick R, but Tex did the opposite. Genius!
LOVED it.
Bad:
Fogarty failing to take advantage of a barrage of inside 50s to get back into something resembling form. He looks slow, fat, and he refuses to play in front.
The enigma that is Fogarty continues to confuse me.
I still remember when the he wrestled off one WCE, fended off another and bamboozled a third (was that last year?). I do not know where that player has gone.
The fact that we’ll inexplicably find a way not to select Curtin against Port, favouring the corpse of Brodie Smith, Neddy Mcterrible, James “already delisted once and certainty to be delisted again in 6 months time” Borlase and Will “has the same middle name as Borlase” Hamill.
I want Nicks sacked. If the players lost those 5 games, then the players won yesterday's game,
by not using the Nicks playbook.
However, Nicks is surely not that dumb :drunk:, to leave Curtin out vs PA.

Even if Nicks brings Gold-Pass-Leader-Smith back in for Pedlar (inj), Borlase should be dropped for Curtin whose SANFL game screamed "I'm ready!".

Give me Sholl over Jones any day.
Jones is probably the biggest disappointment so far this year for mine.
With respect, I favour Jones over Sholl by far, but we can agree to disagree.

For me, the difference is toughness and impact.
Jones does more 1%ers, tackles better, bumps better, and takes hits better than Sholl (who is contact-averse, worse than Atkins imo).
In the Showdown the heat will be on and that'll be a kitchen too hot for scrawny Sholl.

Last edited:
With an opposition as weak as Norf, there are very few positives to be taken away from the game. They are such a sub-standard team that our players were allowed to do more or less whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

The only real things we can take away are the few players who failed to make an impact, even given the lack of opposition.
  • McHenry played 3/4 of the game, for just 10 disposals, and zero impact (other than kicking a goal long after the game was over).
  • Hamill had just 7 disposals - he did nothing wrong, it's just that he did nothing at all.
  • Jones only had 11 disposals, again with very little impact.
  • Fogarty had 13 disposals, mostly up the ground - the problem is that he's just not impacting the scoreboard, and struggles to get anywhere near the ball when he's playing inside the F50. At least he put his only shot on goal through the big sticks this week.

With an opposition as weak as Norf, there are very few positives to be taken away from the game. They are such a sub-standard team that our players were allowed to do more or less whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

The only real things we can take away are the few players who failed to make an impact, even given the lack of opposition.
  • McHenry played 3/4 of the game, for just 10 disposals, and zero impact (other than kicking a goal long after the game was over).
  • Hamill had just 7 disposals - he did nothing wrong, it's just that he did nothing at all.
  • Jones only had 11 disposals, again with very little impact.
  • Fogarty had 13 disposals, mostly up the ground - the problem is that he's just not impacting the scoreboard, and struggles to get anywhere near the ball when he's playing inside the F50. At least he put his only shot on goal through the big sticks this week.
You'll probably appreciate this review from a NORTH analytical perspective ......it's a very good read

I know a lot of people put it down to stats padding against a poor team, but Laird with 30+ disposals at 79%DE, 13 clearances, 13 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a nice goal is a very good game regardless of opposition.
+
The phrase “regardless of opposition” shouldn’t ever be used
"30+ disposals at 79%DE, 13 clearances, 13 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a nice goal"
against any of Geelong/GWS/Sydney,
are worth much, much more than
"30+ disposals at 79%DE, 13 clearances, 13 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a nice goal"
against NM.

That skinny, underfed, contact-averse-boy Sholl had 29 disposals yesterday and I want him dropped vs PA.

Last edited:
We're back baby!
Nicks agrees:

"It would be (our best game). I think we got back to what we stand for today. We know what it is we value and we sat together post game and said the game looked more like us for four quarters.

We got back to that pressure, getting at the opposition, our contest and that was really pleasing to watch. It was more of our DNA and the way we play our footy."

Get excited people!

You'll probably appreciate this review from a NORTH analytical perspective ......it's a very good read

That review and clip analysis are excellent, really highlighting what the Crows did well several times re run-on and overlap (Nankervis/ Dawson/ Laird).

Thanks for posting that :thumbsupv1: .

After watching it, I did wonder if those moves were because of, or in spite of, Nicks.
In spite of, methinks :sneaky:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pushes us up the draft board, and gives the old stagers a 'statistically good' game- they all lined up for a few pressure-less ones.
I know a lot of people put it down to stats padding against a poor team, but Laird with 30+ disposals at 79%DE, 13 clearances, 13 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a nice goal is a very good game regardless of opposition.

LOL. Like clockwork.

Nicks agrees:

"It would be (our best game). I think we got back to what we stand for today. We know what it is we value and we sat together post game and said the game looked more like us for four quarters.

We got back to that pressure, getting at the opposition, our contest and that was really pleasing to watch. It was more of our DNA and the way we play our footy."

Get excited people!
1714264501789.png

People need to remember Jones is coming off a Lisfranc injury late last year. I thought he was steadily building until then, for the first time in his career. We should be cutting him some slack. I think he's doing alright considering.
We have also been waiting years for Milera to come good (before he got injured again).

Jones just isn't good enough.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have also been waiting years for Milera to come good (before he got injured again).

Jones just isn't good enough.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
All I can think of watching Jones is David Mackay… perfectly decent depth player to have on your list for 4-5 seasons who you bring in to fill a gap when there’s loads of injuries, but otherwise shouldn’t be near your best 22… but we all know how the Dmac experiment played out and I fear that’s the future with Jones too..

I would play Karl Gallagher before Lachlan Murphy

Athletic, kicks goals sometimes (which Murphy doesn't) and when he gets confused about where to be because he's just learning the game, he's offering about as much as Murphy

I would play David Gallagher before Lachlan Murphy.

Hell, Phil Gallagher would offer more than Murphy and he'd have to be in his 70's.

Jones has more weapons when he touches it (Sholl doesn’t kick that goal from 50, for instance), plus has a harder edge to his game. The unfortunate thing is that Jones’ level of production last year is starting to look like an anomaly
The issue is that he rarely touches it. No point having the weapons if you can’t find the footy. Wasting a spot.

The issue is that he rarely touches it. No point having the weapons if you can’t find the footy. Wasting a spot.
If he accumulated like last year no one would be complaining

Problem is that he isn’t. And if he can’t do it against a team like North, then there’s not a lot of hope he’ll get back to last year’s levels any time soon

Good win, can't complain too much. Aside from the obvious that our best players were good (Dawson, Walker, Rankine etc.), I thought Himmelberg and Cook were both pretty good. Never been a massive Cook fan but today he had a bit more defensive intensity to his game as well as taking his opportunities for the most part. Hopefully something he can build on. Worrell continues his good season too.
Woz and Max were very solid and continue to build a great base. Fog not much good. I was at the game and didn't really see much of Rachele so was surprised by his stats at the end of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back