Review Good/Bad vs North Melbourne, R7 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Every criticism of this team so far this season is warranted. But, I mean, what else could they have done today?

It's a nothing week. Nothing positive or negative to take from it.

I thought it was fogs best game this year.. got involved and showed his great skills.

He led well and got badly burnt a couple of time by poor kicks by team mates.
Yep, enjoyed his game.

Really like that despite consistently shite delivery, he rarely if ever vents his frustration at his team mates. Albeit he's probably come to expect crap service by now, but still

I cant understand people slagging off on Sholl for his 29 possession game, I don't think Jones has ever had that many touches.
Give me Sholl over Jones any day.
Jones is probably the biggest disappointment so far this year for mine.
Remember, this was Norf, a dispirited low pressure outfit they played against today.

I don't want either, they are not AFL standard and certainly not finals standard when the pressure goes up even more.

Take McFlurry and Murphy with them out the door.

Remember, this was Norf, a dispirited low pressure outfit they played against today.

I don't want either, they are not AFL standard and certainly not finals standard when the pressure goes up even more.

Take McFlurry and Murphy with them out the door.
And Jones could only manage 11 touches.
At least Sholl can find the ball, Jones, Murphy and McSpud cant even do that
I think if we had a coach who understood how to use an outside player, Sholl could be ok

I know a lot of people put it down to stats padding against a poor team, but Laird with 30+ disposals at 79%DE, 13 clearances, 13 score involvements, 2 goal assists and a nice goal is a very good game regardless of opposition.
Laird is a solid top 10% in the league player, and the criticism is tough, because he's just about our best player, and we want him to be Bont or Petracca... And he's just not that guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laird is a solid top 10% in the league player, and the criticism is tough, because he's just about our best player, and we want him to be Bont or Petracca... And he's just not that guy.
He’s not top 10% in the league and he’s not our best player either.

He should have been a stop gap option in the midfield, and there should be another Soligo or two to push him out of there by now.

That is a genuinely disgraceful opinion. Rankine, Dawson and Walker are all very clearly superior players, and I'd have any of Worrell, Michalanney and Soligo over him as well.
Not sure you’ve done the numbers quite right. You think he’s a league top 40 player?

Hard pass on that
Over 530 players have played a game so far this season, so that'd make him top 53/54. Which is definitely still wrong.

No we just want him to use the ball like a good midfielder would, instead of bombing it to the opposition or handballing it to a team mate already under pressure or handballs missing the target altogether.
He did have a better game today but still only average for a decent midfielder.
He’s 30 years old and this is the best footy he can muster.

Laird's game was obviously good and he will probably dominate the coach/Brownlow votes. Had some nice moments up forward as well as getting 13 clearances. Still not sure what position he should have in the side though. Is he playing half-forward and occasionally running through the midfield, or primarily a midfielder like he was today? If it's the former I just don't think he's the best option we have for that role, at least not when Berry/Pedlar are fit.

Rankine did less midfield work this week with Rachele and Laird picking up some of his CBAs. I do think there was some management of players in light of the 5 day break and the state of the game/opposition, as Dawson spent extra time on the bench and most of Rachele's CBAs were in the second half when the game was done while Rankine only had 2. Still, I don't think that's where we want to be long term and it's partly because Laird was there. It's a genuinely hard selection call.

Last edited:
I thought it was fogs best game this year.. got involved and showed his great skills.

He led well and got badly burnt a couple of time by poor kicks by team mates.
Yep, I only saw the first half but Sholl burnt him twice, one with a shanked kick, the other Fog was in the pocket with clear gap between his player that if Sholl put it to his advantage he would have marked it and been 15 metres out. Instead Sholl centred it to a one on one and to the North players advantage

That was hard to watch, so glad I didn't go.

UGLY - Unbelievable presser after the game by Nicks - unbelievable. "That looked more like us"?!?!?

Anyone who thinks Nicks is anything but a thumb with eyes when it comes to leading a team and coaching professional sport - watch that and tell me how.

As the game was sooo unbelievably uncompetitive (ignoring AFLs stupid pressure meter which is obviously a made up thing that represents nothing) I tried to watch off the ball more during the telecast ... look at leads, watch defensive positioning.

UGLY - North are awful. I think Clarko is going for the same pattern that made the Hawks successful - get priority picks and add Buddy, Roughy and Hodge to your list!! 12 wins in the last 91 games, how tough is that on supporters? Nothing like the gravy train of 30 wins in 91 games we have had the joy of swallowing :-|

bad.png

Bad - Why aren't we kicking it to Fog? He is repeat leading, he is physically wrecked by the end of the game. First I thought that Fog was maybe leading too early - but I came to realise it's more that our feeders are hesitating. If they turned and went, Fog is generally on a lead. It almost felt like a team wide blackout, don't kick it to Fog. Strange - even when Tex was on his "I always pass it" fix, a couple of times Fog was right there in the clear and he chose someone else. I don't get it. Fog will take two or three contested pack marks a year - like Tex - so why do we keep trying to turn him into something he is not?

Bad - our defenders miss their spoils a lot. They go right under it and swing at pure air. It exposed us against North, it will kill us against anyone else.

Bad - we are fumbly and confused when swarmed in our defence. We do not have a great plan or system to handle stoppages in the defensive 50m arc.

Bad - Laird is not a good mid. His disposal efficiency is a result of the way they measure that stat - he is a good small defender.

Bad - Pedlar. Dammit!

Bad - Holding the ball is a joke of a rule. You get more frees for "high" from tackles than htb. Most tackles result in nothing. As soon as a player is tackled now they just drop the ball with no penalty ... except Crows players that aren't coached properly on how to do this ... or the player lifts the arm / throws back the head searching for a free.

Good - Keane has great potential and has somehow got through the "Don't play inexperienced players at AFL level" wall at Adelaide.

Good - Matt Crouch has very good hands.

Good - Nank and Cook always look to take the game on.

Good? - Himmelberg always makes me wonder how we haven't been able to turn him into something of use!! He rucks better than ROB, he takes marks, he competes ... sure he has brain fades in front of goal regularly, but he provides something, doesn't he?

Good - I thought LDU looked like a good prospect today, lots of tackle breaking - good user. Whichever team gets him when he leaves the swamp that the Roos have become ... will have done well.

UGLY - we are wasting opportunities for our talented young players to become the core of this team. We refuse to blood young talent, even against a team that is so far off the pace that it's embarrassing.

Last edited:
I noticed a few times with Fog when he did try and lead it looked almost half hearted, one lead then just jogging back to the pack for the high ball - there was no ‘explosion’ towards the ball to try and get separation between him and the defender and it gives the defender the opportunity to spoil if they do honour the lead.

There's the incident with McHenry vs Melbourne which I have described before.

In the 3rd quarter vs Carlton. Brodie Smith has the ball on the right half-back flank, Cook is open about 20m away in the square but not watching the ball. Smith instead kicks down the line to a contest, where Dawson ultimately emerges with the ball and looks to dish off to where Cook is, but he is again not awake. Both times resulting in teammates yelling at him.

There's also the fact that he was generally amongst the lowest possession getters on the ground in his previous three games. While not direct evidence, this is entirely consistent with a player who is not up with the pace of the game.
I was at the game and keep a keen eye on him, so I’ll wait to see some footage, before I take it as gospel. 👍

You really can't judge much of this 'win'...

Outside some individual brilliance of Rankine, Tex and Dawson - our 'opponent' was absolutely pathetic.

Norf are barely SANFL standard. A bowl of jelly would have more spine than Norf.

Lets see how we back up against the PAPs even though they have a few injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back