News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to revisit this trade -

McAdam for Melbourne's 2nd which is one spot behind our 2nd

We then move our 2nd with pick 11 and 15 for 8 & 17 with GWS which lands us Curtin & Edwards.

Phoenix Gothard picked at our original pick 11 and Darcy Wilson picked with our pick 15.

Credit where it's due this is good business

I doubt anyone is bidding on Welsh before 30, he's a slug.
A Slug??? What does that mean?

Have you watched him much “in the flesh”? He showed some great signs as a 17 year old in the SANFL playing in a forward pocket in a struggling team with heaps of top ups. Who was the last 17 year old tall forward to blitz the SANFL? Tex, and he was playing in a top team.

Just to revisit this trade -

McAdam for Melbourne's 2nd which is one spot behind our 2nd

We then move our 2nd with pick 11 and 15 for 8 & 17 with GWS which lands us Curtin & Edwards.

Phoenix Gothard picked at our original pick 11 and Darcy Wilson picked with our pick 15.

Credit where it's due this is good business
It looks pretty good, and we are luck how bad Melbourne have been.

McAdam arriving certainly didn't help Melbourne and McAdam leaving certainly didn't help us

A lose-lose trade at this stage

Let's hope the second rounder proves to be the clincher 😀

From our perspective, the value of the trade is "helped" by the fact that we were rubbish this year. McAdam wasn't going to get us in the finals, let alone to a flag.

If we can turn the 2nd round pick into something that helps us for the next decade, we're ahead.

McAdam arriving certainly didn't help Melbourne and McAdam leaving certainly didn't help us

Saints the big winners out of it. They ended up with pick 18 (Darcy Wilson) and our 2024 second (pick 25) in exchange for pick 17.

Fair chance whatever way we use the 2024 pick it will have a better outcome than what McAdam produced in season 2023 and going forward (30 in May 25).

from a live look at him on the weekend just gone, he looks like he will need a very good fitness program to drop the weight and build the tank, but IF he can, then there is a real player there
Not only has he got a large paunch, his head is also enormous. Training will only get rid of the former.
He is still very fast, though.

Look far be it from me to defend Justin Reid but this might be a SLIGHTLY harsh assessment given that we haven’t actually got our side of the trade yet.

I don’t think McAdam leaving was supposed to make our team better!

Look far be it from me to defend Justin Reid but this might be a SLIGHTLY harsh assessment given that we haven’t actually got our side of the trade yet.

In every game this year there's been at least one spot in the forward line for a Himmelberg or worse. Adelaide were supposed to have been competitive this year. And McAdam would have walked into even the first-choice side.

The only reason he wasn't a bigger/more noticeable loss is because Adelaide were terrible.

I'm sure the plan wasn't to make our forward line worse, but that's what it achieved

We thought we had the role covered with Cook, Gollant, Pedlar, Sloane, other? ready to step in. Wrong-o

Unless it was about creating cap space for <checks notes> ...Chris Burgess?

In every game this year there's been at least one spot in the forward line for a Himmelberg or worse. Adelaide were supposed to have been competitive this year. And McAdam would have walked into even the first-choice side.

The only reason he wasn't a bigger/more noticeable loss is because Adelaide were terrible.
Why couldn’t he get a game at Melbourne?

Hard marker on Welsh, basically played forward pocket in 2 largely underperforming teams, the SA U18's were barely competitive and clearly a coaching focus for the forward entries to be directed at the 2 tall towers Rosenzweig and Nicholls.
Then we have the Crows SANFL team mostly under strength for most of the year with our poor injury run thus teams made up of too many ammos hardly SANFL reserves class....and once again forward entries directed at Gollant, Burgess, Himmelberg etc.

How do you think Tyler goes playing U18's like most of the other draftees where he is the focus point..most of the draftees that got a couple of VFL games or the WA lads in the WAFL actually mostly played in competitive teams as well.
I'm not really saying what I feel - I think he's mobile with good hands and seems to have a footy brain - I'm more repeating what seems to be the industry view on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbournes forward line is way worse than ours (20 goals less) and he played 2 games and kicked 1 goal vs west coast.

I'm sure the plan wasn't to make our forward line worse, but that's what it achieved

We thought we had the role covered with Cook, Gollant, Pedlar, Sloane, other? ready to step in. Wrong-o

Unless it was about creating cap space for ...Chris Burgess?
We haven't actually received our side of the trade yet?

Your version is like going to the bakery and handing over $7, and saying it's a terrible deal.

At least you can wait until we get a pie.

We haven't actually received our side of the trade yet?

Your version is like going to the bakery and handing over $7, and saying it's a terrible deal.

At least you can wait until we get a pie.
Yeah, except we've gone hungry for a year in the meantime

Sure, let's hope the pick works out

As it stands we were worse off for a whole season.

I'm not really saying what I feel - I think he's mobile with good hands and seems to have a footy brain - I'm more repeating what seems to be the industry view on him.
No you're repeating what the AFL draft watchers are saying, the answer won't be known until he actually gets drafted and plays. We really don't know how club recruiters rate him, the fact it's anticipated he'll be a Crow come the draft probably means they're not tracking him closely?

Could Pedlar/McHenry/Burgess/Himmelberg/Gollant/Cook get a game at Melbourne?
Irrelevant really, he was injured for half the year.
He wouldn’t have made much difference at all to us.
Might have taken cooks games (so we’d be no wiser as to what he is as a player)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Shane McAdam traded to Melbourne for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back