Sheahan's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Ice goddess said:
Isn't Hayes at 11 far too high? Does anyone else rate Hayes as a gun midfielder or is he someone who just accumulates lots of stats without being destructive? Doesn't he struggle when they actually tag him?

Hayes is very destructive. What games have you been watching. It seems that handballing is an easy stat, but Lenny Hayes has got amazing hands which seem to be the best in the comp, maybe only behind Scotty West. He consistently finds the hard ball and lays a tackle which is 95% of the time a solid tackle. Infact, 54% of his ball gets are hard-ball gets. Had a very good year, and deserved his All-Australian spot, and to be honest, the position of no.11 might seem relatively too high, it seems that it actually isn't when you look back. Certainly nothing wrong with him being there.

Lenny Hayes - 2005
Games - 23
Goals - 9
Kicks - 296
Handballs - 257
Disposals - 553 (ave. 24)
Marks - 107
Tackles - 109
Inside 50's - 106
Rebound 50's - 48
Hard-ball gets - 76

Divado said:
Is it just me or is rutten a bit high?? He had a good year but surely hes not worthy of possie 16.

I put him at the same number I think in my top 50, so i have to agree. He was very very good as a defender, especially coming into the season with people saying, Who is that guy? and myself saying, Why is he playing defence and not forward? He was fantastic and the improvement was the big highlight. Not over-rated either. Mike loves his defenders (Darryl Wakelin got in the top 50!, along with other tall defenders who makes it look like Mike has an obsession with the big backmen). May be suprising with Rutten that high, but logically, it isn't an insane spot, wheras Craig Bolton....

Choota said:
Further confirmation that Luke Ball is the most overrated player in the competition by the media.
Is somebody a little upset that they took a side running skirt instead of a tough inside on baller with great skills to match...

The_GTrain said:
Is somebody a little upset that they took a side running skirt instead of a tough inside on baller with great skills to match...

You got to think out of the square here. Luke Ball is a brilliant player, but he does get over-rated by the media. It happens to all good players.

Ice goddess said:
Isn't Hayes at 11 far too high? Does anyone else rate Hayes as a gun midfielder or is he someone who just accumulates lots of stats without being destructive? Doesn't he struggle when they actually tag him?

You can't have many quiet games when you average 24 disposals a game, over the last three years. He seems to do alright against taggers.

I'd replace Darryl Wakelin with his brother Shane, had a great season in a side that was peppered with goals against.

Mike Sheahan has no idea about a proper top 50.
Daniel Kerr placed 2nd in the Brownlow Medal Count and by first look he isn't even listed in the top 22 which would effectively be Sheahan tipping him for AA slection. Shocking to have such a hard contested player listed at a poultry number 27.

Craig Bolton placed at 21 in an AA position from Sheehans list is laughable. One of the worst ratings i've ever seen. Players like J.Akermanis, B.Johnson, F.Gehrig, J.Clement, T.Johnstone ect ranked behind him is outrageous.

Ben Rutten from Adelaide at 16th best player in the league. Sure he was an AA Selection but he isn't better than Mal Michael, Matt Scarlett or half of the other KP Defenders in the league. Dustin Fletcher on the list at 34 is farfetched also. There are so many more poor judgements made in that top 50 i am going to look away and be sure to never read a Sheahan top 50 again unless i'm looking for a laugh because that is off this planet some of those choices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cypher said:
Jared Crouch and Steven Baker shouldn't be in there because they had good seasons.
I don't understand this comment.

The list is based purely on performances in 2005. That's why Riewoldt doesn't get a mention.

Whether or not Baker and Crouch had good enough seasons is a different question, but you seem to be suggesting that one good season isn't sufficient. The reality is that this list only takes one season's performances into account.

BulldogMike said:
Mike Sheahan has no idea about a proper top 50.
Daniel Kerr placed 2nd in the Brownlow Medal Count and by first look he isn't even listed in the top 22 which would effectively be Sheahan tipping him for AA slection.
Dumb comment.

To suggest that the AA team reflects the best 22 players in the competition completely overlooks the fact that the AA side is selected on positions.

Ice goddess said:
Big question though is how effective are those stats?

I have watched plenty of footy over the last three years, and in my honest opinion, Lenny Hayes has got the best handball in the league!!!

Check out the stats i wrote on the other page, he gets so much, you would expect the odd shank. When he has over 250 handballs, and they are always dangerous, that is the main thing. He had a great season!

sainter35 said:
Doesd Richo just get in there on some past glories cause IMO he does F@rk all and is totally overrated.

He does fork all? Is that apart from take a hell of a lot of marks, many of them contested and kick a lot of goals???

I think its the other way around. Richo got himself a bad rep and is a whipping boy cos he had a few high publicised sulks so everybody says he's crap or he ain't what he used to be. But the fact remains he's still close to the best mark in the AFL, and he's still kicking goals. What more can you ask for?? I'd have him higher than 41 or wherever he was, KPP's players like him don't grow on trees

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheahan's Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back