Sheridan & Sutcliffe vs Clark & Davis

Sheridan/Sutcliffe or Clark/Davis

• Sheridan/Sutcliffe

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Clark/Davis

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically you've just summed up Roger, Grover & McPhee. Why do we persist with players the same ilk that provide less of a role than a reigning AA could?

Well, Roger is gone and a lot of people would agree regarding Grover and McPhee. However with Grover definitely and to a lesser extent McPhee, they are known quantities regarding their performance, strengths and weaknesses, fitness, training needs and management. They know the game plan, know their peers, have chemistry with the rest of the team, are established leaders and are integral to the side. McPhee was also brought in for his physicality after Sollie retired when most of our lads were skinny whippets.

Bringing in someone from from outside is a much bigger risk. None of that stuff is really known about Leon and I would also disagree about them being the same ilk as Leon.

This just in, nobody knows the gameplan yet since we have a whole new coaching panel.

So it's pretty much a case of 'better the devil you know than the AA player you don't.'

I would hope our club recruits to replace the senior players who may struggle to make the best 22. But recruiting a 30+ year old player off the bat doesn't make sense. For all we know Davis declines in 2012, same as Grover.

Freo had little choice in the matter of recruiting Clark, Colin Young Clark's manager was always after the money for Clark, which is his job.
Young manipulated the situation so as Melbourne were always going to have last shot at Clark and they made him an offer he couldn't refuse and Freo couldn't / wouldn't match.
My point being draft picks were not the main consideration in this trade, it was always about the bucks.

This is effectively the choice we had this off-season and we've chosen Sheridan & Sutcliffe. What say you? We had the chance to add a ready-to-go KPP who would have helped sure up our KP stocks while also adding a reigning AA to our backline and turned it down for another first round project and a guy who'll clog up our list for three years banking on some fleeting potential he will show in a handful of WAFL games before being delisted.

:rolleyes:
Is that you Schwabby?

Ah good, the old "is that you Schwabby?" comeback. Of course, anyone who doesn't fap themselves silly over the prospect of the 16th and 71st pick in a weak draft must be Cameron Schwabb.

Ah good, the old "is that you Schwabby?" comeback. Of course, anyone who doesn't fap themselves silly over the prospect of the 16th and 71st pick in a weak draft must be Cameron Schwabb.

You aren't making any sense. our club did it's best to get Clark instead of Sheridan.

The only way we were getting Clark would of been to offer them pick 16 + 20, or Sheridan and Crozier. i'll take them over Clark without a second thought.

I didn't need to do this poll to know that 90% of you guys blindly agree with every decision this club makes. I just wanted to seriously discuss it because I think we missed two huge opportunities this off-season.

You obviously weren't here when we traded for Tarrant, changed the jumper, played Rhys Palmer as a forward, and many other issues that had people frothing at the mouth.

Your poll is also inaccurate because Brissie wanted picks 16 AND 20 so it should be Sheridan, Sutcliffe AND Crozier in the poll.

Technically you've just summed up Roger, Grover & McPhee. Why do we persist with players the same ilk that provide less of a role than a reigning AA could?

Roger's gone. Also, we have a lot less depth in the roles filled by McPhee and Grover. Leon's obviously a short term upgrade on Ibbotson and Suban, but he'd be pushing one of them out of the side and they have much more football ahead of them.

I certainly wouldn't have been disappointed if we picked Leon but the clubs logic makes sense at this stage. Davis improves our side in the short term, but could stifle the development of one of the younger blokess who we hope will flourish under a new coach. There's certainly not room for Davis, Suban, Silvagni, Ibbotson, Duffield and Broughton in the 22.

Fevola's a much better option in the short term than Mitch Clarke, where's that thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just seems ridiculous to me that six weeks after trade week you're still hung up over the fact that we didn't part with picks 16 and 20 + $600,000 a season for a ruckman that might be able to play forward who comes across as a complete tool. Jack Anthony had one good season too (but actually as a KPP not in the ruck), is a similar age, and cost bugger all in terms of picks and $$$.

Plus if we were paying Mitch Clark that much money I doubt we'd have the $300,000 floating around for Neon Leon.

Bond wouldn't part with more than pick 20 until the Friday of trade week, Clark would've been in Freo colours for pick 16 and change on the Monday if he wasn't so hung up on screwing Brisbane. We then wouldn't have been trumped with Melbourne's insanely large contract.

Lack of depth and lack of young KPP players were the two big issues that needed solving this off-season and we haven't done either. By adding five teenagers, none of them talls, it's actually gotten worse. Clark and Davis would've been brilliant additions and picking them up would've meant we wouldn't have had to use 5 picks in a weak draft and taken players after 50.

Bond wouldn't part with more than pick 20 until the Friday of trade week, Clark would've been in Freo colours for pick 16 and change on the Monday if he wasn't so hung up on screwing Brisbane. We then wouldn't have been trumped with Melbourne's insanely large contract.

Lack of depth and lack of young KPP players were the two big issues that needed solving this off-season and we haven't done either. By adding five teenagers, none of them talls, it's actually gotten worse. Clark and Davis would've been brilliant short term additions and picking them up would've meant we wouldn't have had to use 5 picks in a weak draft and taken players after 50.

For Davis at least. I don't see the point - I don't have an issue with the club continuing to bring in young players ahead of older heads, short of finding 22-24yo KPP to fill holes.

Bump, not for the last time this year I'm sure.

Mitch Clark with 20 touches and 4 goals, Leon with 30 odd touches and already showing he's far too good for WAFL.

Cozier with 3 goals and looking a class above the WAFL too, albeit still skinny and inconsistent.

Will you be happy for us to continually bump this in a couple of years when Davis is retired and Sheridan, Crozier and Sutcliffe are first 22 regulars?

Cozier with 3 goals and looking a class above the WAFL too, albeit still skinny and inconsistent.

Will you be happy for us to continually bump this in a couple of years when Davis is retired and Sheridan, Crozier and Sutcliffe are first 22 regulars?

Exactly.

Apart from the fact that what's done is done and can't be changed, how short sighted are people to be complaining about last years draft picks already?

Stupid thread is stupid.

This thread wasn't about Crozier, and if any of that happens then feel free to bring it up. Our best chance for a flag is in the near future though, hence my criticism.

This thread wasn't about Crozier, and if any of that happens then feel free to bring it up. Our best chance for a flag is in the near future though, hence my criticism.

Brisbane wanted our Crozier pick too and your claim that they would have accepted only pick 16 is just guesswork. All evidence points to Clark costing us Sheridan and Crozier.

And while we're cherry picking stats Sutcliffe was pretty much BOG in his WAFL debut, whereas in the Perth v East Perth game I went to a couple of weeks ago and Davis would have been lucky to crack double figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheridan & Sutcliffe vs Clark & Davis

Back