Should Dean Bailey be suspended from all AFL activities...

Remove this Banner Ad

Valve Bounce

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
..........and the Melbourne Football Club fined and punished for not allowing the team to play on its merits to win. And just in case anyone here has missed the reason, here's the article : http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25871321-5012432,00.html

..........and it is NOT written by Patrick Smith.

Melbourne's blatant effort to tank and sandbag should be reviewed by the AFL. But of course we all know the AFL will do nothing because Vlad reckons that tanking does not exist by any team to get the Priority Pick.

..........and the Melbourne Football Club fined and punished for not allowing the team to play on its merits to win. And just in case anyone here has missed the reason, here's the article : http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25871321-5012432,00.html

..........and it is NOT written by Patrick Smith.

Melbourne's blatant effort to tank and sandbag should be reviewed by the AFL. But of course we all know the AFL will do nothing because Vlad reckons that tanking does not exist by any team to get the Priority Pick.

this whole problem can be solved by removing the priority picks and then using a draw to decide the order of the picks.

best solution in my opinion is to put each clubs name into a barrel and draw out the clubs one by one to decide the order of the picks. i like the idea of the 16th place side getting its name 16 times in the barrel, 15th place side gets its name 15 times and so on. therefore the last place side has a greater chance of being drawn.

You cannot just single out Dean Bailey, other coaches have done it. However the AFL must abolish the priority pick immediately (including this year) and end this farce.

AFL should just say they have reviewed games over the last few weeks and they believe the temptation for clubs to not give their side every chance to win brings the game into disrepute and in order to remove that temptation effective immediately they will be removing the priority pick from the draft.

You would see very different matchups in the last month of football.

Don't blame Melbourne, they are doing what half a dozen clubs have done before them. The system is at fault for encouraging them to not win.

AFL should just say they have reviewed games over the last few weeks and they believe the temptation for clubs to not give their side every chance to win brings the game into disrepute and in order to remove that temptation effective immediately they will be removing the priority pick from the draft.

Demetriou clearly doesn't have the athleticism to pull off that big a backflip.

The priority pick clearly needs to go. Keep it next year so that it's fair on any team that could qualify based on this year's results (though I think only Fremantle fall into that category) then get rid of it. It's a massive blight on the game.

Lol.

With Bailey unflattering coaching record the last thing he wants is to lose more games.

This is a very silly thread (if its not taking the piss)

What do people expect Demetriou to say?

Honestly, he's put himself in a position now where he HAS to do nothing. He can't admit he's wrong, and he can't change the rules because THAT means he admits he's wrong.

We're stuck with it.

Even if they remove the priority, then what? Teams will start tanking to finish bottom and get number 1. Nothing will change.

What are you people talking about , By shifting players and experimenting with positional changes etc that and those moves nearly won the Demons the match .

If the demons had of won this match and they did win , (the umpire did not hear the siren in time that's another story ) everybody would still say the Demons were tanking .

The Eagles have put some of this to bed . Or i bet ya in your eye's they cheated as well .

You can't tell players to lose it just won't happen , How many Grand finals have been won by coach's doing the ridiculous , putting someone up forward who wins the game etc etc .

You have to remember high draft picks don't gaurantee you a grand final or the best player . look at Daniel rich ,pick 7 and the pick of the crop .

Whats Dean Baily supposed to do not make changes ? ask the Journos what he should do , maybe take a public poll and ask the public to pick his team .

The Eagles and the Demons both have teams of promising players that are going to be good enough to take their club further .

Have a look at Carlton all their no1 picks are not going to get them a flag .

Demetriou clearly doesn't have the athleticism to pull off that big a backflip.

The priority pick clearly needs to go. Keep it next year so that it's fair on any team that could qualify based on this year's results (though I think only Fremantle fall into that category) then get rid of it. It's a massive blight on the game.

The thing is, the PP system is complete bogus. Melbourne has enough good young players, they don't need more, they need time to develop. By the time young sides get the experience to go up the ladder they have gained too many good players and end up very strong.

Melbourne have had injury issues and lack of experience issues more than they have had a lack of good players, kinda like my team. We don't deserve or need a PP, Melbourne don't either.

Melbourne just found themselves in a position where if they don't try they will get rewarded. Look at the performances around when Stynes went into hospital compared to last few weeks. Very different coaching approach.

AFL just can't write blank cheques with new players. Because the depth of the draft was so good the last few years and teams getting very good players from second, third and fourth round picks, there has been less of a need for priority pick help.

PP should only be something they use when the talent coming up is extremely poor, some years it is very thin. AFL should only make that call after the season is over and only after they assess the lists of teams that might be eligible to determine if they need more good young players or not.

lol at this thread, in the past if Sheedy played someone out of position he was considered a lateral thinker to try different things. Bailey does it and he's a cheat

Get over yourself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you then point the finger at Hawthorn? Di they tank? Why would Clarkson have persevered with Taylor? How many frees did he give away?

There is a fine line. For the bottom sides it is called tanking. For others it is poor coaching.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt tanking occurs, butthe water is very myrky.

Where does that story suggest there was tanking? Anyways, if he was tanking why the hell did they get ahead with less than two minutes to go, if they were tanking they did a bloody poor job.

this whole problem can be solved by removing the priority picks and then using a draw to decide the order of the picks.

best solution in my opinion is to put each clubs name into a barrel and draw out the clubs one by one to decide the order of the picks. i like the idea of the 16th place side getting its name 16 times in the barrel, 15th place side gets its name 15 times and so on. therefore the last place side has a greater chance of being drawn.

WOW! Did you come up with this all by yourself?

The thing is, the PP system is complete bogus. Melbourne has enough good young players, they don't need more, they need time to develop. By the time young sides get the experience to go up the ladder they have gained too many good players and end up very strong.

Melbourne have had injury issues and lack of experience issues more than they have had a lack of good players, kinda like my team. We don't deserve or need a PP, Melbourne don't either.

Melbourne just found themselves in a position where if they don't try they will get rewarded. Look at the performances around when Stynes went into hospital compared to last few weeks. Very different coaching approach.

AFL just can't write blank cheques with new players. Because the depth of the draft was so good the last few years and teams getting very good players from second, third and fourth round picks, there has been less of a need for priority pick help.

PP should only be something they use when the talent coming up is extremely poor, some years it is very thin. AFL should only make that call after the season is over and only after they assess the lists of teams that might be eligible to determine if they need more good young players or not.

How on Earth are they supposed to make that decision?

How do you think clubs who would otherwise qualify for a PP would feel if the AFL Commission (In its wisdom) made a decision that, no, there wouldn't be a priority pick for them that year!

Imagine the outcry about the arbitrary nature of that decision! What sort of backroom deal must have been done. Or, it would be even worse the other way.

Imagine the PP is abolished and is only awarded in seasons deemed to have a weak draft.

What happens when Collingwood finishes bottom - and then gets a priority pick at the complete discretion of the AFL commission! Answerable to no one!

I really think everyone's gonna love that - would create meltdown and pickets at the Lexus Centre. Everyone would claim the Pies bought their extra pick with backroom dealing. Absolute disaster.

No, you can't go changing things on a yearly basis - after the season has been run and done.

Totally ridiculous suggestion.

Where does that story suggest there was tanking? Anyways, if he was tanking why the hell did they get ahead with less than two minutes to go, if they were tanking they did a bloody poor job.

The players weren't tanking, the coaches were. Maybe Bailey is just not a good coach. He couldn't even lose successfully.

It'd be highly unfair for the AFL to bring in this deplorable priority pick system that encourages losing but then suspend a coach who takes advantage of it.

Get rid of the PP, not Bailey. I wouldn't mind seeing the end of Vlad either.

I think Dean Bailey needs to attend the Carlton school of tanking..

atleast they didnt make it so blatantly obvious!

he could learn alot from Ratten and Pagan on how to tank, but still look like you want to win!

Congratulations to John Worsfold and the eagles for continuing to bust their arses for success.

I never had any doubt they were working hard, they were devastated when they lost in the final 2 minutes to Freo last week.

A mixed blessing perhaps for you eagles supporters but at least you will be able to enjoy the last 4 games of the season and be desperate for your team to win and angry if you lose.

That is what it means to be a supporter and to love your club. You don't have to be ambivalent about how your club performs anymore. You can 'care' about winning again.

As for Dean Bailey ... welcome to the Brett Ratten school of coaching ... get your draft picks with your insidious coaching tactics ... and then bugger off and let Melbourne get a competent coach capable of moving them up the ladder instead of bottom feeding. Melbourne supporters deserve to want to win too ...

Jordan McMahon misses the shot, Melbourne win, everyone forgets about tanking for the rest of the year. Bloody Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Dean Bailey be suspended from all AFL activities...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back