Should Dean Bailey be suspended from all AFL activities...

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does that story suggest there was tanking? Anyways, if he was tanking why the hell did they get ahead with less than two minutes to go, if they were tanking they did a bloody poor job.

How many times do i have to say this? Players do not tank! No professional AFL player is going ot deliberately play bad, they will always try and win. Clubs and coaches tank. The coach can make it as difficult as possible for the team to win with his coaching moves. This is tanking. Terry Wallace admitted he tanked last year by making minimal and silly moves and then doing sfa in the last qtr in order to lose. The players still tried but the team tanked. Get the picture?

I am so sick to death of all this Tanking Debate :rolleyes: Hope it is scrapped. Some teams deserve the PP for sure, But it only has a negative impact on the game itself. Hate it :thumbsdown:

Could not believe Mick Malthouse weighed into this suggesting Bailey is tanking. Is he seriously forgetting 2005 when his Pies lost from the unloseable position against North?

Malthouse is an utter douche.

even if the PP is eradicated wont teams still tank for pick one anyway??

besides the removal of the PP will be unfair on the teams that genuinely need it and don't tank for it... so its a bit like doomed if you do doomed if you dont.

Not sure how the lottery system will really help, all the balls could lead to a corrupted decision (and a freaking boring show to watch like the NBA).

Still, if it were the bottom 4 teams, there would still be tanking.

i don't know why some people say this. there is clearly a massive differential between having a guaranteed reward versus one that may not eventuate.

a lottery in which lower clubs get more picks has the leveling effect over time that the afl wants, but clubs can't be guaranteed of their reward for failure. melbourne could be eyeing a potential #1 pick now and know that it's in within their control to guarantee they can get him.

it mightn't be perfect but it would be a lot better than the current debacle and would remove the effect that melb supporters are talking about in this thread of being torn between hoping their team wins or loses.

then again, maybe the nba and all those other sports are just clueless and they need an audience with our fearless leader to tell them how they really should be doing it.

Didnt see the game but surely if you were going to tank you wouldn't push it so close as to rely on Jordan Mcmahon to kick a goal from 40 after the siren?

Even the WWE cant plan a finish that well.

Just a gentle reminder that we have won a grand total of 11 out of the last 62 games. We won 5 in 07 and were on the end of "that" loss against carlton in round 22 that cost us a priority pick, won 3 last year and have only won 3 again this year. Surely people cant be suggesting that we are not in need of the priority pick. It is not like we are recent grand finalists who have fallen off the perch. People have lost a lot of perspective in all off this.

What gives me the shits though is the flogs in the media who all came out after we beat Port claiming we would be mad to win any more than 2 games. Now the same media outlets are claiming we are tanking after pushing for us to do that exact thing for the past month. You are damned if you do and damned if you dont.

It is a sad indictment on how bad our forward line is that I felt we actually looked better when Frawley and Warnock went forward.

At the end of the day the responsibility and the blame in all this lies with the AFL. I dont care what anyone says no one would want to finish last just to get pick 1. If there was no PP clubs would win as many games as possible. They may still experiment with their list and put players in for ops but I sincerly doubt that would push for last. There is still a heavy stigma about coming last.

Getting pick 1 and 2/3/4 however is a different story all together and clubs would be negligent if they didnt look at it. Of course we are all aware of how good later picks have been, however its pretty likely these days you are going to get something bloody good with at least 1 of your early picks.

The Gold coast concessions have made this an even greater issue. With the possibility that your picks next year could be 10, 30 etc why wouldnt a club use the system in place to their advantage.

I hate watching us play at the moment and think the situation is unneccesary, avoidable and a blight on our game. However even blind freddy can see that the rewards for winning less than 5 games is much greater than any short term pain

ok firstly i think we are tanking,

secondly that siren went before mcmahon got it
thirdly doubt it went 15 anyway.

can you imagine how much the coaching staff were sweating when mcmahon who had kicked just 2 behinds got the ball.

There is no way we can lose to freo in melbourne.

I'll deal with this post before reading the rest. Punters bet on footy - and this can be compared to not allowing a horse to run on its merits. What if a jockey decided to race a horse flat out after jumping out at the start and be exhausted before it even reaches the finish straight? we have stewards to check on all that from cameras around the course, and the jockey is called into the stewards room after the race to explain himself, why he did not allow the horse to run on its merits.

I can just imagine Bailey being called to explain his experimentation to the AFL Committee explaining that he was experimenting by benching his best player and switching his forwards to the backline. Is he going to say that its the fault of the system of priority picks and he couldn't help himself?

I'll go as far as to address your post by saying that the last thing Bailey wants is to win more that 16 points. If you think this thread is silly, then answer that!

To put that one to bed, Davey didn't often get dragged but dragged himself and almost dry retched on the bench a couple of times. It was him with the horrific fitness and not Dean Bailey's fault. However, I still rate it at 70-30 that we tanked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid Thread

The Dee's were in front when the siren sounded
haha far out. i've just read 5 pages of trash and all i needed to do was read this last post...

The 2nd linked article tells me that some fox reporter thinks we are tanking, and is clutching at straws for evidence. Big whoop, terrible read.

Punters bet on footy - and this can be compared to not allowing a horse to run on its merits. What if a jockey decided to race a horse flat out after jumping out at the start and be exhausted before it even reaches the finish straight? we have stewards to check on all that from cameras around the course, and the jockey is called into the stewards room after the race to explain himself, why he did not allow the horse to run on its merits.

I can just imagine Bailey being called to explain his experimentation to the AFL Committee explaining that he was experimenting by benching his best player and switching his forwards to the backline. Is he going to say that its the fault of the system of priority picks and he couldn't help himself?

I'll go as far as to address your post by saying that the last thing Bailey wants is to win more that 16 points. If you think this thread is silly, then answer that!

By that logic, Neil Craig should've been called into the office in 2006 and asked to explain why he "flogged" his players with heavy training [IIRC, it was reported back then that Crows were over-training] in a season they looked absolutely unbeatable, which some might argue, cost them the flag. You'd imagine that lot of people put their hard-earned on Adelaide half-way through the season to win the flag.

:rolleyes:

There's no comparison between footy and racing. Totally different.

I can't believe people don't understand what "tanking" is. It's about the "coaching staff" trying to minimise the chances of the team winning. They can't guarantee the result, but they'll sure as hell try. Nothing to do with the players themselves. Players just play, they don't care about draft picks, they simply play.
Coaches care about draft picks so they do what they can to reduce their teams chances to win eg play Col Sylvia in the reserves when fit, swap the backline and forward line, play 3 ruckman and then don't use any of them in the ruck, and play a 6'6" ruckamn in the backline on a 5'11" mobile player, and take players off when they are influencing the game too much. I'm sure the Melbourne coaching staff were shaking their heads about how terrible Richmond were, it really made their "subtle" attempts to manipulate the result harder.

Suspended?

He should be applauded for having the balls to tank so blatantly and shove this disgraceful issue in Andy Ds face so something can be done about it once and for all.

Just get rid of the prority pick there's not a whole lot of difference between getting pick 1 or getting pick 3 and teams would try to avoid the spoon, but there's a huge difference between getting pick 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 or something like that.

Vlad won't change the rules however because it means manning up and admitting the system is wrong. Flog of the highest order, i hope he goes, along with the pp in the not too distant future.

You cannot just single out Dean Bailey, other coaches have done it. However the AFL must abolish the priority pick immediately (including this year) and end this farce.

Will never happen, because doing so will be indicative of a flaw in the system, and vlad is far too pig-headed and egotistical to allow this to happen.

As we all know, Vlad = perfection :rolleyes:

Vlad out on a limb, on his own now

Whether we condemn the coach or Vlad, many here have had their say, most of them decry the practice of tanking to get a Priority Pick. Well, it seems that Vlad is now on his own, with his sidekick in arms finally abandoning him: http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25872578-5018851,00.html

The man who changes his mind as often as he visits a hairdresser gave every indication he will turn his back on Demetriou, leaving him alone and exposed as the front for the anti-tanking movement.

:"Like so many others at the MCG, Bartlett was perplexed by many of the moves from the Melbourne coach's box - backmen playing forward, forwards back, talls on smalls, and odd combinations in the midfield."

I think Dean Bailey needs to attend the Carlton school of tanking..

atleast they didnt make it so blatantly obvious!

he could learn alot from Ratten and Pagan on how to tank, but still look like you want to win!
lol, u sure about that, go back and have a look at carltons last 11 or 9 games hay lost in a row in 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Dean Bailey be suspended from all AFL activities...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back