Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Two soccer pitches are of relatively equal size to a football oval. 11 a side in soccer, plus five subs = 16 per team x 2 for two teams = 32 players per game on two pitches = 64 players for the same amount of space as an oval.

Scuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe they can only change 2 of the 5 on the bench during the game. Thus 3 guys sit on the bench wasting their time doing nothing: ( just like the rest of them when its a nil all draw:D)

Scuse me if I'm wrong, but I believe they can only change 2 of the 5 on the bench during the game. Thus 3 guys sit on the bench wasting their time doing nothing: ( just like the rest of them when its a nil all draw:D)

I'm sure the England players who drew 0-0 with Italy in 97 to qualify for their first world cup in eight years would disagree with you on that one.

The opposite has happened to what you've said more moneys gone into NSW and QLD, which is the right thing to do considering they are growth areas in the future.
More money has gone into NSW/Qld so far - I'm talking in the future.

And they're not REAL growth areas. They're growth areas for Australia, sure. They're the two states were football isn't already at saturation. But with all the other codes competing, any growth there is expensive. There's already way too much sport in Australia.

The places where there's real bang for development buck is overseas - South Africa, Oceania. But so far they've been massively neglected by the AFL, who are only interested in mainland Australia. Hopefully that's going to change as the domestic market gets even more crowded.

lol. I love the soccer! Watch just about every Victory game live.

Why do we all have to be so loyal to one code? Why can't we like chocolate AND strawberry.

Soccer is NOT going to be overtaking Aussie Rules in this country anytime soon. *redneck voice* I think y'all just need to calm the f*** down.

Yes , we have a right to expect journalists to be objective, not zealots spruiking their cause. Compare soccer reporting with that of any other sport in this country - eg rugby union, which is copping a walloping from most of its commentators at the moment. Soccer journalists sound like they are selling Amway. Or Scientology.

Yeah. Thankfully we never get any utter crap like that written about the AFL...

Oh, wait.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/faster-higher-stronger/story-e6frf9if-1225699078722

LANCE Franklin is triple-jump world champion.
Adam Cooney holds the world record in the 400m and Ben Cousins is Olympic 1500m champion.
Gary Ablett is a sprinter, Adam Goodes tackles the hurdles, Trent Croad competes in high jump and Jonathan Brown in the discus.
They could be the best in world athletics, but we'll never know.
Any number of AFL players could have represented Australia on the world's biggest sporting stage, according to a leading biochemist who works with Olympians, AFL players, Formula One drivers and elite athletes from the Victorian Institute of Sport, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne Storm....

I hope Soccer does play its season in summer it would be a win win for everybody really (except cricket which i dont care about)

How many of you guys would've play Footy in summer and played soccer instead of cricket if it was played in summer when you were kids?
I know i would've for sure.

It would also be good for Australian kids to keep really fit for 12 months by playing sports with lots of running of the year compared to cricket where you lose a lot of your fitness.

I'm sure Andy D and the AFL are wanting to make every effort to establish AFL in NSW and QLD before any successful attempt at securing a World Cup. We all saw the buoyed enthusiasm soccer received during the last world cup, so imagine what hosting a WC would do!

Regardless of how it grows, it won't threaten AFL. Sure there will be some Brad Green's that may be lost to follow a soccer career just like there potentially was Damien Cupido considering following his Cricket Academy scholarship instead of footy, but grassroots footy is impossible to destablise in Victoria, SA and TAS ... and very hard in WA and NT. It can be reduced to some degree, but it would be barely noticeable.

We're gaining ground in NSW and hopefully before long in QLD as well. I definitely hope to god that soccer picks up in this country, as it is a great sport and a lot ****ing better than rugby league (union, i like, but not as much as soccer).

I'm hoping the Kiwis get on board one day as well, but that's wishful thinking.

Preferably:
1. AFL
2. Soccer
3. Union
4. nothing ... NRL to die ASAP thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer is total crap.

Most Aussies know it.

Rex, you have Adelaide listed as your club, then underneath, you have put the Sydney Swans, you wouldn't be swapping teams or following two would you? You know, the exact thing which marks you as a fake footy fan?

I love both codes. You don't. Good for you. But soccer is no threat to footy, the two can easily coexist and this nonsense about true fans not liking soccer is bull****. I've followed the tigers for 12 years, even though we've won nothing, I still turn up to about 8 games a year, and I rid the wins and losses (mostly losses) with the other tiger fans.

I also love football or soccer whatever you want to call it. One of my greatest sporting moments is when we made the 06 world cup. Clearly, you didn't care. But I did and as a sporting fan (i.e. as a fan of sports) I enjoy both.

So I refuse your call, "we" is bull and both can coexist. If anything, cricket is more of a threat than soccer, played in summer, wildly popular, offers a foreign sporting opportunity with lots of money and often competes with the same athletes. Many young kids choose between cricket and footy, suggests if footy is challenged (it aint) it needs to challenge cricket (it doesn't). Carn the tigers, and go the socceroos. I will cheer both in full voice next year. You don't like it? Your problem not mine. :)

I love both codes. You don't. Good for you. But soccer is no threat to soccer, the two can easily coexist and this nonsense about true fans not liking soccer is bull****. I've followed the tigers for 12 years, even though we've won nothing, I still turn up to about 8 games a year, and I rid the wins and losses (mostly losses) with the other tiger fans.
I disagree. Italians fans are clearly a threat to soccer. :D :p

agreed. .

soccer doesn't have tanking, you lose, you drop down a division.

it's a shame it's not feasible to have that for aussie rules
Aussie Rules doesn't have tanking either.

Tanking is cynical exploitation by clubs in a certain Aussie Rules league of that league's regulations. It's not something that's inherent in the rules of the game.

As for playing for a draw in soccer, as a soccer fan some of the best matches I've seen have been where a side goes to a place they weren't expected to get a result, but digs in to withstand a bombardment from the pre-match favourites. Often this does indeed result in a draw. Doesn't mean it was boring.

yes take a stand against soccer! what a joke it is in NQ the fury average about 3-4 thousand a game if lucky sometimes. soccer in australia is not popular enough yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back