Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a "You must be at least this intelligent to use this forum" requirement should be considered.

Good point Dimen - and it's not too hard to think of ways to test them for certain criteria, of course.

Soccer has to be the most boring sport in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! If only more people watched our game at a packed 'G and witnessed our great product. but i think in 76 years, AFL will have taken over soccer as the no.1 international sport :thumbsu:

NFL wins that title.
Soccer is more interesting than NFL.

Soccer has to be the most boring sport in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! If only more people watched our game at a packed 'G and witnessed our great product. but i think in 76 years, AFL will have taken over soccer as the no.1 international sport :thumbsu:

Soon, we shall be called WFL :thumbsu:
AFL is a sport?

So in 76 years time, they'll still only be one league?

If AFL is such a fantastic sport why haven't any other countries bothered to pick it up over the past 100 years?

Because it's not that good!

Soccer will rule world sport forever, there's no doubting that.

If AFL is such a fantastic sport why haven't any other countries bothered to pick it up over the past 100 years?

Simply because they haven't been given the choice .
With modern technology some people are given the choice and as such Australian Football is getting played more and more .
Each time we have the International Cup of Australian Football more countries play at a higher standard .

Simply because they haven't been given the choice .
With modern technology some people are given the choice and as such Australian Football is getting played more and more .
Each time we have the International Cup of Australian Football more countries play at a higher standard .

That works both ways though. The internet and Pay TV now allow Australians to see more sport from overseas. For example, every EPL game is now shown live on Foxtel. With the internet people also aren't limited to reading Herald Sun or Daily Telegraph propaganda. It was a very different story 15 years ago.

NFL has a niche? I wouldn't have thought so....more a very small minority, bordering on nobody.

The International AFL Cup is a joke, Croydon under 10's could towel most of the sides. It hasn't improved at all and never will.

Face facts; AFL doesn't appeal to the average person and hence it will never take off worldwide. Soccer is played and appeals to every country in the world because it's a much better game.

There's no arguement, the AFL is a piss in the ocean and will never be more than a boring game played/followed by a couple of hundred thousand people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The title of this thread sounds as paranoid as some of the rubbish on League Unlimited. Soccer doesn't even start until the AFL season is over. If kids want to play soccer, fine, let them play, and if they want to play AFL, great.

I agree with what you're saying but the gist of the thread targets the political side and not any freedoms .

I agree with what you're saying but the gist of the thread targets the political side and not any freedoms .

TBH I haven't really read the thread, but was more cencerned with the headline, given the deserved bollocking league trolls are getting on AFL v League Trollfest thread, where in essence they're trying to defend this "take stand against..." mindset. Maybe I'll go and have a closer read, but TBH I think soccer and AFL have and will co-exist quite happily together. Pity league boofheads can't accept this relationship between AFL and league. Who knows, maybe they can't co-exist?

TBH I haven't really read the thread, but was more cencerned with the headline, given the deserved bollocking league trolls are getting on AFL v League Trollfest thread, where in essence they're trying to defend this "take stand against..." mindset. Maybe I'll go and have a closer read, but TBH I think soccer and AFL have and will co-exist quite happily together. Pity league boofheads can't accept this relationship between AFL and league. Who knows, maybe they can't co-exist?

A couple of times I have floated the idea of sporting/football clubs that ran different codes . Absolutely no response . People would rather be a loggerheads .

Silly idea. True Aussies love all sports, and both Footy and soccer are great games to play ( although I find soccer piss boring to watch). Robert Walls is an allround poor "expert" of the game.

A couple of times I have floated the idea of sporting/football clubs that ran different codes . Absolutely no response . People would rather be a loggerheads .

Collingwood and Carlton in the AFL and Parramatta in the NRL all had stints of fielding soccer teams in the old NSL. Supporters of the AFL/NRL teams didn't get behind the soccer teams in any meaningful numbers, and all teams were financial disasters that cost the clubs millions.

I remember featuring this issue in my presentation to the Crawford Inquiry at the time... yes, those 3 clubs failed, in no small part because their marketing strategy was utterly disastrous.

They pretty much never tried to widen their appeal outside of that limited base of AFL/NRL supporters.... :rolleyes:

Collingwood and Carlton in the AFL and Parramatta in the NRL all had stints of fielding soccer teams in the old NSL. Supporters of the AFL/NRL teams didn't get behind the soccer teams in any me.

Get it right .
Soccer supporters didn't get behind the soccer teams in any meaningful numbers, and all teams were financial disasters that cost the clubs millions .

If you ever find yourself lost in the deep woods, you can find your way back to civilisation by following 3 simple steps.

1. Locate Robert Walls
2. Ask for directions
3. Do the exact opposite of whatever he suggests.

Haha.. yeah, that's damn good advice TJ :D

After all, the quality of any advice anyone has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.

Rumour has it that Wallsy doubles as a soothsayer... and he's come up with a special document detailing the entire story of his life, in proper chronological order, to provide life-long guidance to anyone who may read it. All the major decisions are underlined, so that they stand out. It's all indexed and cross-referenced, to make sure that nobody ends up like him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back