Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a damn fine win played with finals’ intensity. I think the Crows would have beaten the large majority of teams at AO playing like that.

Did get extra enjoyment watching the Crows lose their discipline after Rankine went off.

Did get extra enjoyment watching the Crows lose their discipline after Rankine went off.

That reminded me of those games where the Maggies had been playing shite for much of the game against Glenelg or the Eagles. Timmy G or someone similar would start something and the trigger would flip: in a good way for us and badly for the opposition.

This past month has been the most un-Ken Hinkley Port Adelaide that I have ever seen. We win from behind, we win tough contested finals-worthy matches, we overcome appalling umpiring, we run over the top of teams in the last quarter.

We took all the cheap shots the crows like to hand out in a game and invariably get away with and gave it back to them with interest. I'm sorry Houston's season is over, it was more an error of judgement than anything, but it did flick the switch on the match.

The atmosphere was an absolute cauldron from that point on and the crows melted. If not for a couple of speculative pot shots in the last quarter they would have been lucky to kick a goal in the second half.

Finals will be the real test, but you can't fault the way we played this past month. And this game, the crows threw everything at us, we took it, gave it back and ran over the top of them. Like a tank over Mr Bean's mini.

Zak Butters played a game for the ages, but the other two amigos were right in it. And Sweet was huge, he more than matched O'Brien, even after a couple of times when he looked like he copped an injury.

I wonder if the MRO will look at the knee Crouch dropped on Sweet or the elbow he swung at Boak's head in the melee?
I haven't seen the replay, only the highlight but this is a great read and the team is playing with a bit of belief and a tough edge and it is volcanoing the cockles of my heart.

Wonder if Rachele will get done for biting????

yJOCLZa.jpg
He does look like he’d be a biter

Excellent win. Superb.

Not sure why our 2nd halves are so good when compared to the first but credit to the players and coaches.

Dan will get games, doesn't matter if the hit wasn't high it's the look and intent these days, and unfortunately it will probably be many games.

Butters is some sort of player. At times he drives me crazy when he tries stuff that he probably shouldn't but the guy can play.

I thought Sweet was immense. So many times they've owned us through the dominance of their ruck but tonight I thought Sweet destroyed him and really sets a standard with aggression and desire.

After a very poor first half I thought but Wines and Drew started hunting the ball and player and both made huge contributions to our win. They both started showing composure around the contest which seemed to spread throughout - great leadership IMO. The first half was really very bad with most showing a complete lack of composure and we need to address that quick.

Most had moments they can be proud of, especially after half time. A few really need to have a think about what they are doing and how to contribute more if we want to really give this thing a shake.

That was a true old-timers PAFC win. Nobody likes seeing guys hurt but stuff happens when things get real, and after half time we were as real as we've been for a very long time.

If you are going to carry on like Rachele you look pretty weak when you squib every contest. Crows supporters complain about him ducking his head and not committing every week
I thought it was odd that he was even doing any media that week. He's has issues with contests and with consistency, I would have thought he would concentrate on his football in such a bit week. All it did was out pressure on himself and besides that goal, he was mostly missing.

That was a damn fine win played with finals’ intensity. I think the Crows would have beaten the large majority of teams at AO playing like that.

They had lost it well before the Houston bump honestly. Thrillthorpe for example was down my end in the second quarter and just constantly trying to niggle with Aliir. It was a weird decision, I can totally get trying to niggle guys like Butters or Rioli you can bait him into silly reactions and get frees, but I've never seen Aliir react in any way other than laugh and that's all that was happening. In fact Aliir laughing seemed to make Thrillthorpe get annoyed. Big Fog Dog clearly ramped up his faux tough guy act for this game too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent win. Superb.

Not sure why our 2nd halves are so good when compared to the first but credit to the players and coaches.

Dan will get games, doesn't matter if the hit wasn't high it's the look and intent these days, and unfortunately it will probably be many games.

Butters is some sort of player. At times he drives me crazy when he tries stuff that he probably shouldn't but the guy can play.

I thought Sweet was immense. So many times they've owned us through the dominance of their ruck but tonight I thought Sweet destroyed him and really sets a standard with aggression and desire.

After a very poor first half I thought but Wines and Drew started hunting the ball and player and both made huge contributions to our win. They both started showing composure around the contest which seemed to spread throughout - great leadership IMO. The first half was really very bad with most showing a complete lack of composure and we need to address that quick.

Most had moments they can be proud of, especially after half time. A few really need to have a think about what they are doing and how to contribute more if we want to really give this thing a shake.

That was a true old-timers PAFC win. Nobody likes seeing guys hurt but stuff happens when things get real, and after half time we were as real as we've been for a very long time.
Exactly as I saw it. Great summary.

I posted recently that Wines and Drew hold the key to our fortunes. If they do their jobs - like they did in the second half last night and similarly after HT against Carlton, the rest will take care of itself.

So I reckon it's a good idea not to talk crap before a game.

We've seen on both sides that the strike rate of it working isn't that good.
Of course it doesn’t.
About time we showed maturity and focused on us getting everything right ourselves and not waste stupid energy and misplaced attention on things that don’t create victories.

Imagine if social media was around when bickley broke wakes jaw......

I'm not condoning the Houston hit, it can play out at the tribunal, but there are some awfully short memories across the road

Imagine if social media was around when bickley broke wakes jaw......

I'm not condoning the Houston hit, it can play out at the tribunal, but there are some awfully short memories across the road

We’ve been overdue for some sanctimonious handwringing in the wake of a fraught Showdown.

I’m just thankful Josh Jenkins wasn’t in the vicinity of Rachele’s goal celebration, the poor dear.

Part of the reason our forward line is dysfunctional is that we have 2 starting tall forwards and a reserve tall forward out, as well as our best pressure small. This means we are playing 2 of our early season tall defenders as forwards. We need to get Mitch back at least, but hopefully Marshall in form by finals too.

Who's our best pressure small that's out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Back