Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep no. 1 will always be top of the list, unless there's a Port v. Adelaide GF. Which talking about Adelaide being sooks, showed it's nothing new. I remember the siren going and singing our song. Wait, no I didn't, because they didn't play it. All class there. I remember by the time we got round to the second showdown they'd been shamed into playing opposition team songs at the concrete bowl and we had to listen to their Marine Corps rip off.

There was plenty of booing going on though after the final siren. Not by Port supporters though and not directed at Port players. There were the Adelaide 'fans' booing their own players (with a bit of spitting thrown in) their own players as they went down the race.

tl;dr - Adelaide have always been hypocritical sooks.
This reminds me of my days in Melbourne when I used to go with a group of friends who were Port supporters to Bells Hotel to watch their games and have a meal and a few jars when Geelong weren't playing. (Ironically, they introduced me to the place on the Friday night you flogged us for your first ever win.. :'() I watched several Showdowns there, mostly Port wins as it was when you guys really had them by the balls early on. The hotels owner used to put on a specific Showdown function in the front bar and loads of Chardonnay swillers also rocked up. It was an absolute crack up when Port won and the Port supporters used to stand up and belt out the song, and follow it up with the Magpies song. Seriously, the venom and vitriol they spewed out upon hearing the Magpies song was pathetic. They screeched like banshees. You'd think someone had just killed their kids. What a bunch of cry babies.

This reminds me of my days in Melbourne when I used to go with a group of friends who were Port supporters to Bells Hotel to watch their games and have a meal and a few jars when Geelong weren't playing. (Ironically, they introduced me to the place on the Friday night you flogged us for your first ever win.. :'() I watched several Showdowns there, mostly Port wins as it was when you guys really had them by the balls early on. The hotels owner used to put on a specific Showdown function in the front bar and loads of Chardonnay swillers also rocked up. It was an absolute crack up when Port won and the Port supporters used to stand up and belt out the song, and follow it up with the Magpies song. Seriously, the venom and vitriol they spewed out upon hearing the Magpies song was pathetic. They screeched like banshees. You'd think someone had just killed their kids. What a bunch of cry babies.
How good was the Bells after a win?

Remember a game v Essendon early days - I seem to remember Cummings kicked a bag, Wanganeen got reported - and the players came into Bells Hotel post game, what a blast.

How good was the Bells after a win?

Remember a game v Essendon early days - I seem to remember Cummings kicked a bag, Wanganeen got reported - and the players came into Bells Hotel post game, what a blast.
Yes I remember that Friday night well. Towards the end of the first season, IIRC the week before you played at Kardinia Park which I couldn't go to as I was still playing at Queenscliff. Apparently a few weeks earlier after coming from 7 goals down against Footscray, and winning your first game in Melbourne, the place really went off after that game.

Yes I remember that Friday night well. Towards the end of the first season, IIRC the week before you played at Kardinia Park which I couldn't go to as I was still playing at Queenscliff. Apparently a few weeks earlier after coming from 7 goals down against Footscray, and winning your first game in Melbourne, the place really went off after that game.
Big Scotty got the BOG, didn't have kind words for Sheeds that night when accepting his “award”

Nah, **** him.

If he'd talked shit all week but then come out and played some great footy, more power to him. But he didn't get a kick in the second half when the game got willing, and then turned off his Instagram comments after the game. Classic coward who can dish it out but can't take it. Poor man's Jack Ginnivan.
He won’t last his contract at Adelaide, won’t be long before his teammates and fans are sick of his bullshit antics

Never thought someone would surpass tex as the biggest flog at the crows, but hey it only took him 50 games..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess this is what Josh meant my a mini grand final.

The way they are celebrating i guess they realise this is as close as they will get for another decade at least.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well their facilities aren’t being built any time soon, They are a club franchise full of w***ers

Maybe unpopular opinion, but I quite liked Rachele mouthing off at Port fans as "toothless," which we all know is a tired old meme, that is probably outdated by 50 or so years. But it added some spice to the build-up, which I reckon is a part of the Showdown package. I especially was glad that it came from their side, not ours.

Then when he followed it up with the now infamous "mouth-point" to the crowd ...I just burst into laughter. I thought it was great, and it reminded me of Tredders' "telephone" celebration - which by the way, I also loved!

Yeah, I know he is a flog, but that was still a gutsy move, and it now goes into the tapestry that makes the Showdown the best rivalry game in the AFL. The fact that he played ordinary, and we won, makes it even more enjoyable.
I fully concur.

Why are people talking like anyone was offended by the toothless comments?

Theatrics. It’s part of the “game within the game” in the Showdown.

Personally, I’ve embraced my toothlessness as soon as I saw it.

Yep no. 1 will always be top of the list, unless there's a Port v. Adelaide GF. Which talking about Adelaide being sooks, showed it's nothing new. I remember the siren going and singing our song. Wait, no I didn't, because they didn't play it. All class there. I remember by the time we got round to the second showdown they'd been shamed into playing opposition team songs at the concrete bowl and we had to listen to their Marine Corps rip off.

There was plenty of booing going on though after the final siren. Not by Port supporters though and not directed at Port players. There were the Adelaide 'fans' booing their own players (with a bit of spitting thrown in) their own players as they went down the race.

tl;dr - Adelaide have always been hypocritical sooks.

For me;

1 - Showdown 1
2 - Showdown 12
3 - Showdown 14
4 - Showdown 35
5 - Showdown 36
6 - Showdown 43
7 - Showdown 52
8 - Showdown 56

There are our memorable Showdowns and there are theirs. They are different.

[Next Grê-Nal derby will be #443. So, I have a bit of experience on the subject.]

I haven’t watched that many Showdowns. First was the unforgivable #43, in 2017.

Out of those I’ve followed, Motlop’s (44), Pandemic (48, PB’s 1st), and Toothless (56, last one) are my personal bests.

There are our memorable Showdowns and there are theirs. They are different.

[Next Grê-Nal derby will be #443. So, I have a bit of experience on the subject.]

I haven’t watched that many Showdowns. First was the unforgivable #43, in 2017.

Out of those I’ve followed, Motlop’s (44), Pandemic (48, PB’s 1st), and Toothless (56, last one) are my personal bests.
Those three are up there. I was working for an NGO in the Solomon Islands back in the 90's when we played our first, and sadly missed it. So my standout still is the Monfries/Wingard 2013 Showdown, where we were gone for all money, multiple goals behind with barely minutes to go, and then just an amazing finish to knock them off.

Last two minutes if anyone want to relive it. As a bonus it features some iconic names like Cam O'Shea bursting through the middle, and an obligatory Jasper Pittard out-on-the-full ... Ah, the memories!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Showdown 56

Remove this Banner Ad

Back