Simon Lethlean appointed to the role of Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a really silly comment and I wish I could give it a thumbs down. Don Burke is being accused by multiple women of sexual assault. This guy had an affair with a junior staff member. FFS get some perspective. These two are not even in the same ballpark and should definitely not be conflated.

Th issue is the guy was a married middle aged man approaching much younger women who were lower in the organisation to sleep with him. If it was my daughter I'd want to punch him in the head. Anyway, the AFL stage managed the way t was perceived but in the light of the Hollywood scandals that are going around it's a bad look. I have met Lethlean at least twice and didn't warm to him, I wish he'd gone elsewhere. It's just lucky Caro is stepping aside.

They are redeveloping the Animal Enclosure at Moorabbin for him is what I'm hearing.

Lol just joking. He is a great get, very sought after.

He's the opposite to sought after. All other clubs overlooked him, trying not to court controversy.

He's the opposite to sought after. All other clubs overlooked him, trying not to court controversy.
How do you know they overlooked him and not that we simply offered him the best deal?

I have an honest question borne out of ignorance of the situation as I haven't read much of the stuff about his situation.

Was the affair that precipitated his removal from AFL House a relationship between two consenting adults that was inappropriate because the two people were work colleagues, or was there something more sinister involved?
Consenting but an abuse of power. Poor judgement error that has cost him personally, professionally, and financially.

I am glad the AFL made the decision and I am glad the bloke has a second chance.

We all eff up. He did big time. Dies it mean he should never get another job?

AFL's loss could be our gain.

You would be hard pressed to find an organization that has never had these types of issues. Jason gram used to bang anything with legs regardless of age. Yet was nearly immortalized as a stkilda great.

Lastly an affair involves two people. If he didn't have such a public profile would it have e been front page of the sun?

The point is that he is a senior figure in a power position who was using it to exploit girls just starting out in the industry. We have a family friend who was kept on at AFL house for throwing a phone at someone, then when the media made it an issue they booted him and have now let him back. They would not have even cared if this wasn't a lot more grubby than it looks on the surface.

the key points...
was the girl over 18... Yes
was the girl consenting.. Givent the lack of further investigation i would think yes

the bloke had an error in judgment and cheated on his missus , he possibly used his influence as a person of power in a giant corporation to woo the said girl but he didnt break the law its sleezy yet but you see that in high end managment a hell of a lot.. really he stuffed up but its not a hangable crime he paid the price by it being exposed and then losing his role with the AFL .. if the club capitalise on that by getting a top end manager on the cheap due to his mistake i can accept that ...

How do you know they overlooked him and not that we simply offered him the best deal?

Because Carlton, Collingwood and the Dogs all rejected him.

Been there done that. Married my second office romance. Living in bliss. Life is good, and society hasn't been sucked down the rabbit hole.

I would bet my bottom dollar that 5/10 people, including posters here, have been in an office romance at least once in their lives. I recall reading somewhere that the statistics show that about 16% of people who date a co-worker go on to marry them and lead happy fruitful lives. In fact I think 'met at work' is like the fourth most common way to meet a life partner (just behind 'through friends', 'at a bar', and 'online').

The fact that it was an affair is the issue, as well as the desire for employee's at the pointy end of the management structure to be squeaky clean, so as not to undermine their ability to manage. As long as he is not a repeat offender, and comes with the right skills to execute the job to a very high level, then there is no reason to eliminate him from our considerations.

Welcome aboard Simon Lethlean!

It's like you were married now and had a 18 year old female apprentice and you started sleeping with her on the side while your wife was running the kids to sports and school though. Not exactly romantic escapade leading to marriage stuff

Th issue is the guy was a married middle aged man approaching much younger women who were lower in the organisation to sleep with him. If it was my daughter I'd want to punch him in the head. Anyway, the AFL stage managed the way t was perceived but in the light of the Hollywood scandals that are going around it's a bad look. I have met Lethlean at least twice and didn't warm to him, I wish he'd gone elsewhere. It's just lucky Caro is stepping aside.

Sorry, I must have missed the part where we appointed him as marriage counsellor and ethics orator.

Talk about some holier than thou bullshit on here.

I'd be interested to know if people would disown their kids if they ever ****ed up in life.

The guy made a mistake and he is entitled to redeem himself just like everyone else.

FWIW, we have a long serving employee who also got busted shagging another woman.

Not having a go at you.

Fairdinkum...

Every prospective employee had to tick all the boxes on this forum, we'd have no players, no coach and no admin.

the key points...
was the girl over 18... Yes
was the girl consenting.. Givent the lack of further investigation i would think yes

the bloke had an error in judgment and cheated on his missus , he possibly used his influence as a person of power in a giant corporation to woo the said girl but he didnt break the law its sleezy yet but you see that in high end managment a hell of a lot.. really he stuffed up but its not a hangable crime he paid the price by it being exposed and then losing his role with the AFL .. if the club capitalise on that by getting a top end manager on the cheap due to his mistake i can accept that ...

Harvey Weinstein says hi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I must have missed the part where we appointed him as marriage counsellor and ethics orator.

Talk about some holier than thou bullshit on here.

I'd be interested to know if people would disown their kids if they ever ****** up in life.

The guy made a mistake and he is entitled to redeem himself just like everyone else.

FWIW, we have a long serving employee who also got busted shagging another woman.

Not having a go at you.

Fairdinkum...

Every prospective employee had to tick all the boxes on this forum, we'd have no players, no coach and no admin.

I just don't think we need another controversial character on board. We have never been very good at attracting female members because of all the controversies we have had. He might be a changed man and deserves another go, I just wish he'd done it at Essendon where their moral disregard seems to have become a selling point according to the media.

Letchlean isn't my kid so I don't care.

You're not seriously comparing the two are you?

I think you're in one of your silly argumentative moods.

Just don't want him, don't like him at all.

It's like you were married now and had a 18 year old female apprentice and you started sleeping with her on the side while your wife was running the kids to sports and school though. Not exactly romantic escapade leading to marriage stuff
Just curious... Do you have facts on the true status of his marriage? See we don't know what it was really like. Could very well have been loveless or he is just a goose.

Two sides to every story.

Because Carlton, Collingwood and the Dogs all rejected him.
i call BS on that... Collingwood wouldnt give two shits if he brings a negative controversy with him .. if they feel he is the best candidate to bring Collingwood closer to a flag then they will manage the controversy ... same with Carlton ... with the dogs i guess its worth asking what role they had in mind for him cause its entirely possible they just rated Ameet higher ??

Jesus gringo. I have two adult daughters 24 and 22. If either did what this woman did, I would be pissed at the bloke but more at my daughter and tell her that, ad an adult, this is her responsibility.

I believe adults make their own decisions good or bad. Once they are adults tbeir decisions have nothing to do with me
My opinion only of course.

To reiterate: this is a seriously dumb appointment.
The guy will be of little value to us, and will leave as soon as a more senior role becomes available either within the industry or more likely outside it.
This is his cv penance time, and we’re paying him during it.

I just don't think we need another controversial character on board. We have never been very good at attracting female members because of all the controversies we have had. He might be a changed man and deserves another go, I just wish he'd done it at Essendon where their moral disregard seems to have become a selling point according to the media.

Letchlean isn't my kid so I don't care.
what a load of crap ... do you really think we will lose female members over this appointment

Jesus gringo. I have two adult daughters 24 and 22. If either did what this woman did, I would be pissed at the bloke but more at my daughter and tell her that, ad an adult, this is her responsibility.

I believe adults make their own decisions good or bad. Once they are adults tbeir decisions have nothing to do with me
My opinion only of course.
Nailed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Lethlean appointed to the role of Head of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back