Slobbos top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

This is how I rate the players going into next season - not ratings for the year.

1- Neale
2-Daicos
3-Bont
4-Heeney
5- Cripps
6- Petracca
7- Hogan
8- Serong
9- Cameron
10- Weitering
11- Merrett
12- Green
13- Stewart
14- Gulden
15- Butters
16- Sheezel
17- Newcombe
18- N Anderson
19- Rozee
20- Curnow
21- Brayshaw
22- Mcgovern
23- Gawn
24- Holmes
25- Warner
26- JHF
27- Young
28- Dy Moore
29- J Sicily
30- I Rankine
31- S Walsh
32- H Andrews
33- M Rowell
34- S Darcy
35- Stengle
36- Blakey
37- R Marshall
38- N Larkey
39- T Greene
40- K Pickett
41- J Dawson
42- LDU
43- L Jackson
44- H Mcluggage
45- A Treloar
46- W Ashcroft
47- O Allen
48- J Steele
49- H Reid
50- JUH
Will Day?

Since 2003 where it’s been awarded. The award is based off of the best player inside their first two seasons, counting the votes they get across that time. However, there is no age or game limit, so a first year player could win this if they have more votes than the rest eligible, both Newcombe and Daicos got all of their votes in 2022.
Hmmmm.

Looking at the award there are no specific rules around whether it is restricted to only 2nd year players, aside from the comment 'in recognition of the player based on performances in his first two seasons of AFL Football' - which led me to conclude it was in fact restricted to second year players only.

I'm not sure they'd considered the possibility of a First Year Player polling more Coaches votes than every player who is in their second year in the system, and I doubt they would have awarded it to Daicos two years running had he have polled more votes than Newcombe in 2022.

Hmmmm.

Looking at the award there are no specific rules around whether it is restricted to only 2nd year players, aside from the comment 'in recognition of the player based on performances in his first two seasons of AFL Football' - which led me to conclude it was in fact restricted to second year players only.

I'm not sure they'd considered the possibility of a First Year Player polling more Coaches votes than every player who is in their second year in the system, and I doubt they would have awarded it to Daicos two years running had he have polled more votes than Newcombe in 2022.

Could just mean you can't win it in your second year?

Whoever came second to Daicos in 2023 likely would have just ended up the winner.

Still just speculating however.

Re: Newcombe. Hawthorn has been off Broadway in regards to prime time exposure and finals for pretty much the duration of his whole career to this point.
I don't necessarily begrudge opposition supporters who still don't rate him, however hopefully they all saw his performances in our 2 finals this year and realised what we've been praising about him since early 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Slobbos top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back