SNFL Div 4 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t disagree more, Vafa is a much higher standard, both teams would come in (aside from south Mornington ) beat everyone 100% wrong their. Div 4 Vafa is closer to Div 3 southern, Div 4 southern is terrible literally nuffie as so yeah you got no clue, both teams would do very well especially masala.
I dont know what your smoking but maybe flick some this way so i can sell it and make some money for some more beers. Your miles from it, i ****ing hate dandenong as you all know but they smashed masala and st johns in a practice match. They would sit mid-tier if they came into the league.

How about something a little left field. What if they combined Div 4 SFNL with Div 2 OEFNL.

Southern clubs play each other twice and the OEFNL clubs once. Vice versa for the OEFNL clubs.

That way you have a solid 16 week season, only have a long travel 3 times a year and the comp is a strong 12 teams (sth Yarra to thirds perhaps?)

Helps this division guarantee games most weeks in the ressies and gives a hand to the country clubs in that league that are screaming out for some fresh competition. So many new teams to play could be exciting.

You could pad out the season with a couple more games if you like or even have a look at an extended finals series where the top four from each league play a knockout and then the two winners play off at the end. Would keep the finals chances alive for most teams for a lot longer.

Could assess separating the comps again at the end of the year and hopefully Sandown, sth Yarra etc have strengthened to the point where they join and re-establish a stand alone Div 4 with 8 teams that can field ressies.
What about St.Johns and Masala Footy clubs? Currently playing in VAFA.. I have seen both the teams play and they seem fine.
Could shake up Div 3 or 4
No & No

What the SFNL should do is chase VAFA clubs like Hampton Rovers, Glen Eira, Oakleigh, Ormond & Parkdale. Teams that are at or around C Grade & all have U/19s (Ormond will have U/19s in the future).

Not all clubs would come at once but offer division 1.
Have a 12 team Premier competition first year (working on 2 clubs moving into SFNL)
Then promote 2 bottom finishing teams after the first 1-2 season into the next division.
>optional for Div 2 premier to be promoted
>>> A flow on effect will strengthen SFNL Divisions 1,2 & 3 over 3 years

I love the thought provoking from some here & no offence but you should always strengthen from the top divisions first & work down, not add teams to Div 4 first who would have little chance of getting to division 3

I can see SFNL being 3 divisions next year which isn't all bad

Aim Quality NOT QUANTITY

Who the hell mentioned Spotswood?....

No & No

What the SFNL should do is chase VAFA clubs like Hampton Rovers, Glen Eira, Oakleigh, Ormond & Parkdale. Teams that are at or around C Grade & all have U/19s (Ormond will have U/19s in the future).

Have a 12 team Premier competition first year (working on 2 clubs moving into SFNL)

I love the thought provoking from some here & no offence but you should always strengthen from the top divisions first & work down, not add teams to Div 4 first who would have little chance of getting to division 3

Aim Quality NOT QUANTITY

Should be doing both.

The idea I floated was a short term solution to ensure a viable and competitive 4th division next year while options to strengthen the league long term are explored.

You can’t just ignore the immediate problems these clubs are facing just because they are in the lower rungs.

No & No

Aim Quality NOT QUANTITY

I don't think any of the VAFA mentioned above would consider moving.

The main reason would be the under 19s competition is a joke, with only 3-4 teams that consistently provide a side and only 1 division.

The two Bentleigh teams are in the same division and forfeited their game against each other on the weekend and will do so in the return bout.

There are 5 U19 Divisions in the VAFA and although its not perfect, it gives the teams the chance to find their level before transitioning to senior footy.

Should be doing both.

The idea I floated was a short term solution to ensure a viable and competitive 4th division next year while options to strengthen the league long term are explored.

You can’t just ignore the immediate problems these clubs are facing just because they are in the lower rungs.

Not trolling here, serious question
Long term, say 5 years, how is the viability of clubs with no juniors such as?

Lyndale
Dandenong
South Yarra

even add in
Heatherton
Clayton
Hampton
Moorabbin

You suggested merging Div 4 with OESFNL? What would player retention look like for these above clubs having them travel out to Yarra Glen, Puffing Billy country or Alexandra? These are regional Sunday tourist destinations not for Southern local park footy

I don't think any of the VAFA mentioned above would consider moving.

The main reason would be the under 19s competition is a joke, with only 3-4 teams that consistently provide a side and only 1 division.

The two Bentleigh teams are in the same division and forfeited their game against each other on the weekend and will do so in the return bout.

There are 5 U19 Divisions in the VAFA and although its not perfect, it gives the teams the chance to find their level before transitioning to senior footy.
Agree, none of those forementioned clubs will be coming across in the short term. Its a pipe dream & their names get dropped onto a wishlist every season. But they are located within the SFNL locale, most have U/19s & have only a slight chance to very little of being promoted to VAFA B Grade, which is why they should be targeted hard.

SFNL needs 2 divisions in U/19s to prevent what occurred in the Bentleigh derby. One can see there's 2 dominate teams every year. Having a team like Old McKinnon/Glen Eira would strengthen the 19s comp straight away

I dont know what your smoking but maybe flick some this way so i can sell it and make some money for some more beers. Your miles from it, i ******* hate dandenong as you all know but they smashed masala and st johns in a practice match. They would sit mid-tier if they came into the league.
If they played now they wouldn’t you’re a flipping drongo

Not trolling here, serious question
Long term, say 5 years, how is the viability of clubs with no juniors such as?

Lyndale
Dandenong
South Yarra

even add in
Heatherton
Clayton
Hampton
Moorabbin

You suggested merging Div 4 with OESFNL? What would player retention look like for these above clubs having them travel out to Yarra Glen, Puffing Billy country or Alexandra? These are regional Sunday tourist destinations not for Southern local park footy
Was just an idea to discuss, I did say it was left field lol. I wouldn’t suggest it as a long term solution.

Yarra Glen and “puffing billy country” take around the same time to drive to as Mornington or Cerberus for clubs around Dandy.
As I posted, with some thought put into the fixturing clubs would only have 3 drives to OEFNL grounds for the year.
I would suggest that’s not too big an ask to guarantee everyone is getting a game each week including ressies.

And a decent league with competitive games each week is likely to help retain players more than playing the same 5 sides with your ressies copping regular forfeits and byes.

It would be a short term thing while the league worked to strengthen the number of teams across the whole comp.

On the question of viability of several of the sides you mention, many of them have looked gone for all money at some stage over the last decade or so but they battle on so who can say they won’t continue to do so. I would have thought a merger between 2 of the clubs in the dandy area would have happened by now.

Last edited:
2s Hack spot on!! Couldn’t have said it any better.

What Div 3/4 teams need to focus on is getting an u/18 teams on the park. Get youth coming through into the senior ranks. Not recruiting 30+ y/o has beens on big money.

You see the same with cricket clubs in the summer, strong junior foundations lead to successful senior teams.

We don’t need new clubs in Div 4, we need to develop and grow the ones we have.

South yarra are playing there last game in the senior 4th division this week then there be bye for the rest if the year! They will have 1 team for the rest if the year that play against everyones reserves. Im amazed the league organized this but hopefully they regroup and play again next year at least they have a pulse!!

2s Hack spot on!! Couldn’t have said it any better.

What Div 3/4 teams need to focus on is getting an u/18 teams on the park. Get youth coming through into the senior ranks. Not recruiting 30+ y/o has beens on big money.

You see the same with cricket clubs in the summer, strong junior foundations lead to successful senior teams.

We don’t need new clubs in Div 4, we need to develop and grow the ones we have.
Good luck pulling an under 18 side together in the dandy area if your seniors are not playing at the top end. No chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South yarra are playing there last game in the senior 4th division this week then there be bye for the rest if the year! They will have 1 team for the rest if the year that play against everyones reserves. Im amazed the league organized this but hopefully they regroup and play again next year at least they have a pulse!!
Well that sucks for Dandy then, no games for 4 weeks! They should be fresh for their assault on the flag!:drunk:

If this is the case, given Cerberus is already out, would it not make sense for whoever is fixtured to play Sth Yarra that they play the team on the bye. Drop it to a 6 team league who are all currently fielding Reserves. Then add St Yarra to the 3rds division. I imagine it has now become a pretty poor experience playing 4th Division football with the Cerberus bye and now no senior team at Sth Yarra.

If this is the case, given Cerberus is already out, would it not make sense for whoever is fixtured to play Sth Yarra that they play the team on the bye. Drop it to a 6 team league who are all currently fielding Reserves. Then add St Yarra to the 3rds division. I imagine it has now become a pretty poor experience playing 4th Division football with the Cerberus bye and now no senior team at Sth Yarra.
The league said no because there's already 14 teams!

If I’m selecting sides I’m picking my ones players in the twos as it’s the best chance to boost their % and help make finals. It’s rough on south Yarra but I don’t agree with the decision.

If I’m selecting sides I’m picking my ones players in the twos as it’s the best chance to boost their % and help make finals. It’s rough on south Yarra but I don’t agree with the decision.
Doesn’t say you can’t do it….for that very reason they (South Yarra) should just stick it out in the 1s grade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back