SNFL Div 4 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

For sure.
Clubs like Lyndale or Doveton having to play strong Divvy 3 sides won’t do any good for either teams.

Could there be a situation after each team plays each-other once in Division 3, it’s broken up into 2 divisions where each team will then play the opposition home and away? 1-5th break away and 6-10th?
I like this idea…..something a little left field.
I think what he means is essentially 1-5 play off for Div 3 ladder and finals and 6-10 break away for Div3b or Div 4 (whatever you want to call it) and have their own ladder and finals series, meaning more like-for-like matches, as opposed to some of the garbage junk matches you might get in the beginning eg: Ashwood vs Lyndale.

Would some clubs tank in the first set of matches so they finish in the 6-10 bracket as opposed to finish 4th or 5th in the top bracket and maybe having no chance of beating 1 or 2??

Also if we did have the break away divisions 3 and 4 after the first round of 9 matches, I would suggest having only a final 3.
Top straight into the GF and 2 v 3…..no point having top 4 if there is only 5 in each break away section. Pointless!

I like this idea…..something a little left field.
I think what he means is essentially 1-5 play off for Div 3 ladder and finals and 6-10 break away for Div3b or Div 4 (whatever you want to call it) and have their own ladder and finals series, meaning more like-for-like matches, as opposed to some of the garbage junk matches you might get in the beginning eg: Ashwood vs Lyndale.

Would some clubs tank in the first set of matches so they finish in the 6-10 bracket as opposed to finish 4th or 5th in the top bracket and maybe having no chance of beating 1 or 2??

Also if we did have the break away divisions 3 and 4 after the first round of 9 matches, I would suggest having only a final 3.
Top straight into the GF and 2 v 3…..no point having top 4 if there is only 5 in each break away section. Pointless!
Yep would definitely need some refining.... I like your top 3 idea. Especially as it would look like a 20 odd game home and away season depending if there's 10 or 12 teams. Maybe something in that. Have other leagues done something similar before?

Tanking would certainly be a topic of debate. Would be difficult to moderate but one would think all clubs would be dying to get into the structured division 2.

Either way, Division 4 is looking less and less certain as the weeks tick by I feel. We had an 8 team comp just weeks before round 1 and now we're down to 6 and could be less judging on reports that Doveton players played 2 games on the weekend to make numbers. Come seasons end the SFNL will need to pull their finger out and start brainstorming.

Would Berwick Springers consider a move to Div 3? They are local too 🤔
If the league removes Div 4 all together with a new team should be alright? Even up numbers 12 teams and top 5?

Div 3 2024
Black Rock
CPL
Lyndhurst
Narre South
Heatherton
Berwick Springers
Ashwood
Runner up of Div 4 gf
Dandenong
Hampton
Lyndale
Moorabbin

Dolphins and South to move leagues if rumour is true

Surely you bring Heatherhill and Sandown Cobras into the fourth division even if they don't have a reserves team to firm up the numbers. Alot of div4 clubs struggling and it would be a handy break having a few weeks off for reserves throughout the season with byes.

Also removes the unfair element of a clubs first's team playing against other clubs third best team. Shows also with both clubs sitting on top of the ladder.

Not a fan. will lose a lot of players at some clubs like dandy and what not in ressies as will want to play every week and not 12 out of 18 or so again

Absolutely agree- Reserves want to play every week as much as seniors do. They pay the same subs and deserve the same number of games. Shouldn’t be ‘one team’ Clubs in 4th Division…… ever….. particularly if a season starts with an uneven number of teams creating a bye situation anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely you bring Heatherhill and Sandown Cobras into the fourth division even if they don't have a reserves team to firm up the numbers. Alot of div4 clubs struggling and it would be a handy break having a few weeks off for reserves throughout the season with byes.

Also removes the unfair element of a clubs first's team playing against other clubs third best team. Shows also with both clubs sitting on top of the ladder.
When the Sandown boys played our thirds a few weeks back, we asked them. Apparently they can't get numbers and club will be folding entirely next year, according to those blokes at least. Also told us that some of the blokes who play there are getting paid $50/$75 per game. If its true that they are paying these blokes to play thirds only and beat up on other club's lowest grade sides, then I'm not surprised they're in the situation they are in.

Heatherhill on the other hand, I know a few of those guys since I'm from around the area, and they are more of a social team from what I can tell. Easily enough talent to compete in D4 seniors, but most are on the older side or don't have the motivation to play higher. They train once a week and exists mostly as a social group, rather than a footy side.

Who is everyone picking to finish second? Pretty tight and 4 to go.

Also another thumping from lyndale over Doveton? Where do they go to from here. They’re 100 points worse than second bottom and probably going to be even harder next season in Div 3.

Should be a good finals series here but I still think south Mornington will be to good in the finals campaign.

Remove this Banner Ad

SNFL Div 4 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back