Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

The most frustrating thing about tonight wasn't the missed opportunities for me. It was the fact that we could never lock it in our forward half. Every stoppage we had inside 50 seemed to get out the back and they escaped, I can't think of an instance where this didn't occur.

What’s our thought on game style? I said earlier in a post that Clarko set us perfectly and for the most part of the game we stuck to task, where we are clearly let down is a lack of top end talent defensively, key marking in the forward line and poor depth in the middle of the ground.

Has anyone noticed that system based teams are getting out pointed by clubs who are more off-cuff, dynamic and play on instinct? Hawthorn/Swans/Geelong are very very system heavy and structured sides, Richmond and Melbourne are at the opposite end of the spectrum, pies and GWS are somewhere in the middle whilst the Eagles are probably the most talented system based team.

I feel Clarko has little faith in the individuals in a lot of our lines, he knows Chip is a liability and doesn’t want to expose him 1v1, he knows that our mids can’t go h2h with the oppo as we don’t bat deep enough. In short, for us to compete he feels being a heavy system based club it gives us the best chance to be competitive.

I feel there needs to be some change in that philosophy, and we can only do that if we have a god almighty successful off-season.

Big calls on individuals need to happen, we need to try and bring in a mix of young talent and talent in their peak. Midfield needs an injection of class, and we need defenders who can use the footy, currently save for Dimma and Sicily our ball use out of defence is amateur hour.

We are at a crossroads, you can’t deny that.. we look so close yet feel so far away.

Great post, interesting to hear Melbourne talk about building a list to play finals and recruiting contested players, right now our list is at crossroads as tige19 said, would be very careful trading away picks in this draft , we have a chance to get a decent pick inside 1st round, would then use cap space for free agency , going to be an interesting off season.

Beaten as much by game style as talent last night..

Heard before the game he had a rib injury and watching the game he really stayed out of the thick of things.
Was also wearing a protector(pad) I believe.

Before I comment on the game a little perspective
- most people didn’t have us making the 8 or at best sneaking into it
- we lost to Brisbane late season , again most tipped the above scenerio
- most people tipped a high finish for both Richmond and Melbourne

So last night
- effort , endeavour and pressure for the most part was outstanding
- we shot ourselves in the foot with a lack of polish and finishing . Should have been level pegging at 1/2 time even ahead and the Gunston ‘miss’ late in the 3rd sealed our fate
- proud of the last 1/4 push to get back into it , we just ran out of gas . Lot of the guys looked sore and I think Tigs may have knocked some of the stuffing out of us

Obviously we don’t have top tier younger talent of the Dees or their depth . 5 goal margins against the two best sides I think is a fair reflection of the gap , we are ok but a good step back
I think our list is decent , we have some holes but some good trading , decent FA , draft etc
We will be fine .
Great finals experience for the young guys too , you can’t buy that .

Frawley gets so harshly judged. It seems people want him to play a perfect game every week.

It's just not going to happen. Every player makes errors.

Frawley was solid last night, but also made some errors.....but the stuff on here about how cooked he is and how he must go....it's so overblown.

Not to mention the abuse some posters received in the preview threads for being “negative” before the game. I too thought we had little chance as our list is no where near strong enough and losing Stratts and Jaeger did us no favours either. Time to reset, another mini clean out and bring in some new faces. Hopefully we’ll be back as a genuine contender in the next tee years.
Apparently I am a muppet for believing we’d be beaten by 3-5 goals. Some on here refuse to see the chinks in our armour unfortunately, and think we will win the flag every year. Based on our current list we won’t seriously challenge for a few years, but the season is 23- odd weeks long, and I for one enjoy the wins along the way. If the enjoyment of footy is purely based on flags and flags alone, then it must be a hard game to watch.

It didnt matter in the end. Nobody we have is afl standard.

I'm all for giving a talented kid a taste of the real world
So not one player on the Hawks list is AFL standard?

I am fully aware you say stupid things to get a rise out of people, however don’t talk complete shit.

I think he’s miles and miles off it to be blunt... we are better off giving these list spots to guys like Gibbons/Collins/Bewley in the VFL.

I know your stance on TOB mate compared to mine & Im cool with that but do you think with the selections of Doc, Mirra, Nash coupled with the good form of TOB in defence at BH & his almost ability to play forward; especially against Melbourne as they don’t have a match up for him, that he had a case to play?

I’m expecting a blunt No.... haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course there’s no guarantees, but bloody hell we just gave the Top 4 a shake after finishing 12th and adding Impey and now you’re writing us off for finals already??

Bradkli and HODGEYROAD will love your angle.
You forgot shakey.

I think he’s miles and miles off it to be blunt... we are better off giving these list spots to guys like Gibbons/Collins/Bewley in the VFL.
I still think he has what it takes to make it, but i think he is a long way off it at the moment. I said before the final that i didn't think he was ready for it and he just looked out of his depth. 4 touches and 2 of them were clangers, kicking is just not AFL standard and he hasn't got the footy IQ to have a big impact on games yet. Not writing him off at all but i don't think he should have played last night.

In the cold light of day these are just my thoughts having seen the game live on the wing:
1) Again a miserly back 6 winning 6 games in a row developing chemistry leading up to finals, resulted in Teia Miles and Brand being dropped like hot potatoes for spud Frawley, Mirra, and love child Doc Dre. This would not have made a difference in end, but on form and development alone why do we keep on dropping these 2 esp Brand - they need the finals experience
2) Impey has to stop going on these big runs then shanking a poor quick into forwards
3) The ‘keepings off precise kicking use the corridors possession’ football has for now been surpassed by manic pressure with much faster turnover and forays through corridor - a new game style development may be fundamentally required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slept on it but I am still angry about last night.

I don't rate Melbourne and i think the Eagles will blitz them next week.

But we didn't give ourselves the best chance for victory.

Obviously the second quarter hurt badly. We had the ascendancy in the second half of the quarter and didn't make it count.

I don’t like to criticise Clarkson but I question the wisdom of replacing O'Meara with a defender. It felt we were one rotation short in midfield.

I hope Nash kicks on with his career because he was effectively gifted two finals. From what I saw over the past two weeks he is a long way short of AFL standard.

I have the strong feeling that we let that one slip. I can cop losing to the best team in the competition because a few years ago we did the same thing to other clubs.

But I dislike losing to a team like Melbourne that has some flaws. We didn't put pressure on them long enough last night both physically and on the scoreboard.

Really quite disappointed with the way the season ended.

Nah we will keep playing Nash.

He was better than Breust
Nash was an absolute non factor last night. Four possessions, no tackles, turned the ball over inside forward 50 and got run down. That's a stinker of a game by anyone's definition. He has the athletic attributes to make it but his game sense is a long way off AFL standard at the moment.

Frawley gets so harshly judged. It seems people want him to play a perfect game every week.

It's just not going to happen. Every player makes errors.

Frawley was solid last night, but also made some errors.....but the stuff on here about how cooked he is and how he must go....it's so overblown.
Yeh, he was far from our worst last night.

the frustrating thing about this year is that Neal-Bullen has come on to be a real star for Melbourne and in his draft year i was pushing for us to recruit him, instead we get Howe... very frustrating

Nash was an absolute non factor last night. Four possessions, no tackles, turned the ball over inside forward 50 and got run down. That's a stinker of a game by anyone's definition. He has the athletic attributes to make it but his game sense is a long way off AFL standard at the moment.

all true...but he definitely shows signs of some pretty amazing athletic ability....i know he got run down but the way he evaded the defender and took the ball just prior was pretty impressive for a 5 gamer in a pressure final in front of 90,000..... i doubt it would have made much difference who ever we had played instead of him, but i think the experience will help fast track his development....

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back