Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised at the focus on Mirra. He came in and played his role well I thought.

We lost both finals due to a lack of composure and finish from our seasoned players. I don't think they stood up this finals series.

Still, quite happy with the season. Massively over achieved and found more young talent than I think even optimists were expecting.

What’s our thought on game style? I said earlier in a post that Clarko set us perfectly and for the most part of the game we stuck to task, where we are clearly let down is a lack of top end talent defensively, key marking in the forward line and poor depth in the middle of the ground.

Has anyone noticed that system based teams are getting out pointed by clubs who are more off-cuff, dynamic and play on instinct? Hawthorn/Swans/Geelong are very very system heavy and structured sides, Richmond and Melbourne are at the opposite end of the spectrum, pies and GWS are somewhere in the middle whilst the Eagles are probably the most talented system based team.

I feel Clarko has little faith in the individuals in a lot of our lines, he knows Chip is a liability and doesn’t want to expose him 1v1, he knows that our mids can’t go h2h with the oppo as we don’t bat deep enough. In short, for us to compete he feels being a heavy system based club it gives us the best chance to be competitive.

I feel there needs to be some change in that philosophy, and we can only do that if we have a god almighty successful off-season.

Big calls on individuals need to happen, we need to try and bring in a mix of young talent and talent in their peak. Midfield needs an injection of class, and we need defenders who can use the footy, currently save for Dimma and Sicily our ball use out of defence is amateur hour.

We are at a crossroads, you can’t deny that.. we look so close yet feel so far away.

What’s our thought on game style? I said earlier in a post that Clarko set us perfectly and for the most part of the game we stuck to task, where we are clearly let down is a lack of top end talent defensively, key marking in the forward line and poor depth in the middle of the ground.

Has anyone noticed that system based teams are getting out pointed by clubs who are more off-cuff, dynamic and play on instinct? Hawthorn/Swans/Geelong are very very system heavy and structured sides, Richmond and Melbourne are at the opposite end of the spectrum, pies and GWS are somewhere in the middle whilst the Eagles are probably the most talented system based team.

I feel Clarko has little faith in the individuals in a lot of our lines, he knows Chip is a liability and doesn’t want to expose him 1v1, he knows that our mids can’t go h2h with the oppo as we don’t bat deep enough. In short, for us to compete he feels being a heavy system based club it gives us the best chance to be competitive.

I feel there needs to be some change in that philosophy, and we can only do that if we have a god almighty successful off-season.

Big calls on individuals need to happen, we need to try and bring in a mix of young talent and talent in their peak. Midfield needs an injection of class, and we need defenders who can use the footy, currently save for Dimma and Sicily our ball use out of defence is amateur hour.

We are at a crossroads, you can’t deny that.. we look so close yet feel so far away.
Good argument for sure. However, I think what we need to acknowledge is this system has worked very well up until the inevitable decline/departure of the great players of our three peat years (Lake, Gibson, Hodge, Mitchell, Birchall, Rioli, Lewis).

No club can replace that amount of talent and experience with implementing the game style within 2 seasons, yet we appear to be making a very good fist of it. The reason Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn remain relevant at the top half of the table is due to exactly that. Our lists are probably equally, or maybe even less talented than Port, Essendon and Adelaide.

So, absolutely we look to bring in more talent. Pension off a few fringe players, but keep the system developing as it’s what helps average players play above average football.

List lacks top end class.
This is exactly right. Through injury, and some holes in our list, it felt all night we were about 4-5 top end players away.

People keep going on about the fringe selections but they make a small amount of difference if you don't have the cream. Bring in that talent, and the bottom 6 looks after itself.

I still think Sicily can’t be our CHB. He’s great as a intercept attacking defender but is very loose when it comes to his direct opponent, that’s why we need to just throw brand in there with Frawley so that Sicily can become more dangerous as third tall. Clarko is right, we don’t rebound from D50 all that well hence why all season we’ve had long patches in games where we can’t stop oppo teams from getting repeat entries.
Our midfield is a mix’n’match of mid career players ( Mitchell O’Meara Shiels) and wet behind the ears youngsters ( Howe Worpel Morrison) with a few who are aging ( Smith Henderson Burgoyne) , it’s actually not a bad midfield as such but unfortunately with Jaeger out and the youngsters struggling with the pace and intensity of finals footy and Burgoyne been so poor, we had next to no chance of advancing further.
But the biggest flop all season was our frwd line !! It’s Breust, Gunston or BUST!!
Lot of work to do in the off season .

I still think Sicily can’t be our CHB. He’s great as a intercept attacking defender but is very loose when it comes to his direct opponent, that’s why we need to just throw brand in there with Frawley so that Sicily can become more dangerous as third tall. Clarko is right, we don’t rebound from D50 all that well hence why all season we’ve had long patches in games where we can’t stop oppo teams from getting repeat entries.
Our midfield is a mix’n’match of mid career players ( Mitchell O’Meara Shiels) and wet behind the ears youngsters ( Howe Worpel Morrison) with a few who are aging ( Smith Henderson Burgoyne) , it’s actually not a bad midfield as such but unfortunately with Jaeger out and the youngsters struggling with the pace and intensity of finals footy and Burgoyne been so poor, we had next to no chance of advancing further.
But the biggest flop all season was our frwd line !! It’s Breust, Gunston or BUST!!
Lot of work to do in the off season .
A agree in principle with what you are saying about our backline. But Brand is not the answer, he is just an ordinary footballer.

He is incapable of the ball first mentality, always looks for his opponent, then often gets lost in the process. The best defenders just go the ball once it is in the air and not worry about the opponent. He also masivley panics when he has the ball in hand, and just lacks all around composure.

We absolutely need another key back, however we probably need to look outside the club.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Again we see Frawley fumble and take an eternity to dispose of the footy. Then there are the times others have to cover Chips man because he is so far out of position. Watch the replay of Frost launching the torpedo from full back, Chip was in the centre of the ground whilst Tom McDonald pushed forward to outsize Hardwick in the goal square.

He will be older and slower next year, let that sink in for a moment.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We controlled enough of that game we could have won it.

the big points were

the poor kicking at goal in the second qtr going 0.6 compared to 3.1 going to hurt you always
last quarter when we got back to 3 goals McEvoy rested the next two center bounces with roughy getting smacked by Gawn it was a poor management call or Ceglar needed to play.

We need some more forward hunters without cyril it's light on and bruest and poppy need another one helping.

Frawley was poor again by foot but we have nothing else other then brand who's not far of going past him quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok we did as well as we could and other teams underachieved.

We will get a tougher draw next year.

No guarantees we make it back next year.
Tough draws are what make you better, play better teams get better. Play shit teams learn nothing.

Again we see Frawley fumble and take an eternity to dispose of the footy. Then there are the times others have to cover Chips man because he is so far out of position. Watch the replay of Frost launching the torpedo from full back, Chip was in the centre of the ground whilst Tom McDonald pushed forward to outsize Hardwick in the goal square.

He will be older and slower next year, let that sink in for a moment.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stephen May should be a priority... need to find a way to release Sicily forward..

We didn’t nail our chances. Missed shots didn’t enable us to put scoreboard pressure on which would have made Melbourne really tighten up. I think the future is bright, hopefully we can land a Big fish and another pre season into the young guys will serve us well.

Had plenty of time to at least get there ffs! How did the other dees get there

Your second paragraph, most definitely this had been noticeable from my point of view. The tigers are in their absolute sweet spot at the moment and I reckon a lot of their current success comes down to workrate as a whole group. I read on here last week something about the tigers players individually not covering as much ground as the opposition, but I think if you looked deeper into it they all run and run hard both ways. This allows them to get more around the contests and break away at pace, and in turn this enables them to play a dynamic brand of footy. Meanwhile their opposition who have fewer guys willing or able to run with them fall away generally after half time.
Much like the 3peat era Hawks Richmond move as a unit and each player has faith that a team mate has his back or will be where he should be at any given time. As well as the holes in the team make up you mentioned there is that gap at the moment between the older guys who know the system backwards but who’s legs are weary and the newcomers who are learning the system but don’t quite have the tanks to sustain it for a full game. The gap is closing and it won’t be too long before the team starts moving as one big unit again.

Composed myself a bit now and my thoughts are below
I wasn't expecting to make the finals this season and if you told me we"d finish 5/6 at the start of the year I would have taken it but I just can't bring myself to call the season a success when you've been knocked out in straight sets.
Currently Melbourne are a better team but the most frustrating thing is that we had our chances and choked at the worst time. It was out all the senior players as well. Gunstan Breust and Puopolo missing all easy shots that just drain momentum while they go down there and kick a couple of cheap ones. When you are the underdog you need to make the most of chances and it's not like the players missing shots atr bad kicks they just choked.
I'm generally a very laid back and calm person but when Gunston missed that sitter to make it 8 points and then 5 min later we are down by 32, I was ready to throw hands. Absolutely livid

Gunston: Despite kicking a few, missed too many and in a way cost us the game. You cannot miss shots from 10 m out I'm sorry

Breust: Barely saw him all night. Shocking finals series. As good as he can be a very soft player when they heat is on

Puopolo: As much as I love Poppy I hear he is near the end. Seems to have lost a bit of pace, was towelled up by Grimes last week who is no slouch and didn't do much last night

Morrison and Nash: I know injuries forced our hand a bit with selection but these 2 were shocking last week and not much better v Dees. Morrison in particular looked like a school boy out there.

Frawley: Shudder when he gets the ball. Honestly getting to the point I would prefer Brand

When it comes down to if we have maybe 5-10 players who on a premiership list would be fringe player's if playing at all. Mirra, Schoey, Morrison, Nash, Duryea to start

Composed myself a bit now and my thoughts are below
I wasn't expecting to make the finals this season and if you told me we"d finish 5/6 at the start of the year I would have taken it but I just can't bring myself to call the season a success when you've been knocked out in straight sets.
Currently Melbourne are a better team but the most frustrating thing is that we had our chances and choked at the worst time. It was out all the senior players as well. Gunstan Breust and Puopolo missing all easy shots that just drain momentum while they go down there and kick a couple of cheap ones. When you are the underdog you need to make the most of chances and it's not like the players missing shots atr bad kicks they just choked.
I'm generally a very laid back and calm person but when Gunston missed that sitter to make it 8 points and then 5 min later we are down by 32, I was ready to throw hands. Absolutely livid

Gunston: Despite kicking a few, missed too many and in a way cost us the game. You cannot miss shots from 10 m out I'm sorry

Breust: Barely saw him all night. Shocking finals series. As good as he can be a very soft player when they heat is on

Puopolo: As much as I love Poppy I hear he is near the end. Seems to have lost a bit of pace, was towelled up by Grimes last week who is no slouch and didn't do much last night

Morrison and Nash: I know injuries forced our hand a bit with selection but these 2 were shocking last week and not much better v Dees. Morrison in particular looked like a school boy out there.

Frawley: Shudder when he gets the ball. Honestly getting to the point I would prefer Brand

When it comes down to if we have maybe 5-10 players who on a premiership list would be fringe player's if playing at all. Mirra, Schoey, Morrison, Nash, Duryea to start
Dont agree on Nash.

Hes going to be great...and this was a great experience. He knows what's required.

I think there is an element that we just lost our momentum in the last 2 rounds going into finals. I'm pretty sure Clarkson said this, but we played our best footy from round 18 to 21.

This. Dees form was peaking.

We dropped right off on all fronts. Then copped injuries. Plus the whole city was behind the Dees. Wore us down in the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Snow bunnies beat the Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back