So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically he's the GOAT?

It's strange how you know what the players are thinking from all the way over in the USA... "Teammates get the ball to him because they know he isn't going to waste it"... righto
I think James Aish has elite skills and football brain, and at 19 years of age, has a great chance to become A-grade, so I'm happy. You think he's a "spud" and a "goat," so it seems you're happy to get anything at all for him instead of being forced to delist him.

That's great when supporters of both teams are happy with a trade as we both are! :)

Do the people who think Melbourne did well realise that they traded out next years first rounder? That could be anything from about pick 1-8

Well I half agree with you. I think James Aish improves Collingwood. I don't think his leaving improves Brisbane though.

And why's that?

Brisbane got what they wanted.

How will it improve the club?
1. The Lions have acquired a 24 year old inside midfielder with 121 games experience ready made replacement for Aish who will play for the next half dozen seasons.
2. They now have enough Academy bidding points to secure 18 year old Ben Keays (a young inside midfielder who will replace Aish long term and who is already been touted as a future Brisbane Lions captain)
3. The Lions now have enough Academy bidding points to secure 18 year old Eric Hipwood (a KP player, some are now touting as a Top 10 pick this year)
4. Two more future draft picks for 2016 were traded in in order to secure Jacob Allison, who is tipped to go Top 5 next year in a strong draft.

All for James Aish and Pick 17.

Do the people who think Melbourne did well realise that they traded out next years first rounder? That could be anything from about pick 1-8
Yes but we traded up from 6 to 3 this year and also got pick 7 this year. So we have two 1st rounders this year instead of one this year and next. So not really comprising our drafting unless we have a shocker next year and finish right down the bottom. Even then who is to say we get a better player than this years pick.
It's really going to be a time will tell situation. However given the first two picks seem a certainty this year we have our ourselves in a good position to get the player we want instead of hoping he is there at 6.
Anyway I'm happy with the situation as the club is backing itself in to improve again next year. Time will tell with the picks though.

If we finish 15th we break even. 16 - 18th we lose out if we just look at draft pick numbers.

Of course this doesn't include compensation picks and the extra year of development in our crucial (hopefully) last stage in our rebuild towards finals or getting close to. It also does factor in we clearly have a player in mind at 3 so get to take a bit of control over who is available to us. It might be my own thinking but it also might put a lot of duty in the players.

Pick 6 and pick 6 (if we stay at the same level next year) is pretty damn good. Pick 3 and 7 is better.

If we finish last that's a bummer but we will have bigger issues that a 3 pick downgrade. I'm pretty confident we won't be bottom 4 next season. Realistically I can see us moving up 2-3 positions on the ladder. If we do bottom out again though I'll still support this ballsy move. The demons have tried something different and taken a risk which is something we haven't done much of ever. It's great to see the MFC trying something new. Safe option be damned!

Aish is so over rated it's laughable!
As an 18 year old in 2014, James Aish finished 4th in Rising Star, 9th in Best and Fairest, 6th in total disposals, 4th in marks, and 5th in tackles. He wanted to be at Collingwood in 2015 as part of the Dayne Beams trade though, and Brisbane knew it, but I expect him to become an even better player now that he's finally at his preferred destination.
Question why would you want aish anyway he's overrated quite slow and butchers the ball?
In 19 of his 32 matches Aish has had a disposal efficiency of 80%-91%. In 8 matches, he has had a disposal efficiency of 70%-79%. That's very good for a 19 year old who should only get better, and doesn't sound much like a "butcher" to me. The butcher you go to must use a laser cutting machine and a scalpel.
Jimmy Toumpas looked like a gun in his draft year too... Obviously you haven't watched a lot of Lions games.
Aish was wearing number 4 for Brisbane. Maybe you were looking at the wrong player. Aish's first 32 games have been much, much better than Toumpas' first 27 games.

And why's that?

Brisbane got what they wanted.

How will it improve the club?
1. The Lions have acquired a 24 year old inside midfielder with 121 games experience ready made replacement for Aish who will play for the next half dozen seasons.
2. They now have enough Academy bidding points to secure 18 year old Ben Keays (a young inside midfielder who will replace Aish long term and who is already been touted as a future Brisbane Lions captain)
3. The Lions now have enough Academy bidding points to secure 18 year old Eric Hipwood (a KP player, some are now touting as a Top 10 pick this year)
4. Two more future draft picks for 2016 were traded in in order to secure Jacob Allison, who is tipped to go Top 5 next year in a strong draft.

All for James Aish and Pick 17.
Brisbane already had enough academy points to select Keays before the Aish deal was finalised. They have picked-up Ryan Bastinac though and he was very good in 2013, but James Aish is a better player. Maybe Lions will select Jacob Allison next year, but that's the future, and hasn't improved their midfield now.

Brisbane already had enough academy points to select Keays before the Aish deal was finalised.

Yeah they did. But they didn't have Ryan Bastinac as a ready-made replacement for Aish in 2016 and beyond.

Now they have both.

They have picked-up Ryan Bastinac though and he was very good in 2013, but James Aish is a better player.

Long term James Aish may indeed be a better player, but in the short term (2016-2018) Ryan Bastinac has the experience and big body to be a a better inside midfielder, which exactly what the Lions want. Definite improvement for the Lions' midfield roster for next year at the very least.

Maybe Lions will select Jacob Allison next year, but that's the future, and hasn't improved their midfield now.

I've just explained above why the Aish trade will improve their midfield now. It will receive a further boost when the Lions select Allison. And given they are likely to finish in the bottom third of the ladder the Lions will almost certainly select Allison with their Pick 1-6 and/or their second rounder.

Lions 2016 first four draft draft picks are likely to be in the range of 1-6, 19-25, 25-31 (St Kilda's at the latest) and 48-52 (North Melbourne)

As an 18 year old in 2014, James Aish finished 4th in Rising Star, 9th in Best and Fairest, 6th in total disposals, 4th in marks, and 5th in tackles. He wanted to be at Collingwood in 2015 as part of the Dayne Beams trade though, and Brisbane knew it, but I expect him to become an even better player now that he's finally at his preferred destination.
In 19 of his 32 matches Aish has had a disposal efficiency of 80%-91%. In 8 matches, he has had a disposal efficiency of 70%-79%. That's very good for a 19 year old who should only get better, and doesn't sound much like a "butcher" to me. The butcher you go to must use a laser cutting machine and a scalpel.Aish was wearing number 4 for Brisbane. Maybe you were looking at the wrong player. Aish's first 32 games have been much, much better than Toumpas' first 27 games.
Nice numbers I wonder how those numbers went this year? when he couldn't be bothered putting in the effort for his side that is required to hold your spot , similar to yarran Henderson and to a lesser degree menzel it shows the character of a player that he can't be bothered to have a cracked unlike Tom bell and dangerfield that tried their guts out till the end knowing they were going at the same time . I'm not sure how a gutless midfielder such as aish can improve collingwood but hey each to their own were all entitled to our opinion I'd much rather Tom bell who yes does Butcher the ball on occasions but tries his guts out over softy aish good luck to him but might have been better staying put than languishing in the two's as I suspect he will .

It was nothing like the Judd deal, which was 3,4 (Kennedy), 20 - compared to 9, 28, 54 (Gore). This draft will probably bear limited fruit and I have no doubt with all the weird bank-end future pick stuff we did with GWS/Lions/Suns means we have something arranged for next year to get us back in the draft at a decent spot.

This years draft is fine up to the mid second round and then it drops away according to the experts. Next years draft is a deep one.

Something next year to get you back into the first round?

Well that would require trading out a quality player won't it?

Geelong basically sold it's top draft picks for two years on Dangerfield and Henderson. In doing that they "won trade week" but have severely restricted their access to top end draft talent for two years unless they trade something of quality out.

Luckily the Cats have a recruiting manager who is successful in finding gems later in the draft because that's all he's got for two years. Pick 67 this year is the first pick he's got. At least he's got a 2nd rounder next year but if the Cats finish top 4 then that will be pick 35+.

The Cats and Pies are said to have "won trade week" but they should have, they spent big.

I actually think the Hawks did very well. They traded out a player who couldn't get a game with a pick 38 and now have another first round pick 15 + 18 after winning the flag and then traded other picks for point to get upgrades. They didn't need big name players as their cap is tight and they now get to draft a couple more quality youngsters and still have all their picks for next year.

Essendon killed it simply because of what they got for Carlisle 10 hours before that footage was released. Which was very interesting timing.

Nice numbers I wonder how those numbers went this year? when he couldn't be bothered putting in the effort for his side that is required to hold your spot , similar to yarran Henderson and to a lesser degree menzel it shows the character of a player that he can't be bothered to have a cracked unlike Tom bell and dangerfield that tried their guts out till the end knowing they were going at the same time . I'm not sure how a gutless midfielder such as aish can improve collingwood but hey each to their own were all entitled to our opinion I'd much rather Tom bell who yes does Butcher the ball on occasions but tries his guts out over softy aish good luck to him but might have been better staying put than languishing in the two's as I suspect he will .
I just exposed as you as being wrong about James Aish's disposal. He clearly isn't the "butcher" that you claim that he is. Lets move on to your next "criticism" of him.

There is nothing to suggest that Aish is "soft" and/or "gutless." Do you have even one on-field incident to support these ridiculous accusations? He has been playing very, very good against men since he was 16 years of age, and as far as I'm aware, has never shirked a contest.

If you have an example to the contrary though, then please share it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This an easy one as the same as yarran if a player can't be bothered to put in the effort for his teammates at the same time as knowing he probably won't be there next year in my opinion is soft hearted and gutless aish and yarran are both soft for not giving their best efforts till their last game for their clubs they both signed off 6 months ago ..
I just exposed as you as being wrong about James Aish's disposal. He clearly isn't the "butcher" that you claim that he is. Lets move on to your next "criticism" of him.

There is nothing to suggest that Aish is "soft" and/or "gutless." Do you have even one on-field incident to support these ridiculous accusations? He has been playing very, very good against men since he was 16 years of age, and as far as I'm aware, has never shirked a contest.

If you have an example to the contrary though, then please share it.

This an easy one as the same as yarran if a player can't be bothered to put in the effort for his teammates at the same time as knowing he probably won't be there next year in my opinion is soft hearted and gutless aish and yarran are both soft for not giving their best efforts till their last game for their clubs they both signed off 6 months ago ..
Who said James Aish couldn't be bothered? He's 19 years of age. His unhappiness at being at Brisbane and the speculation over his contract does not mean a player is "soft" or "gutless." How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Do you have even one on-field incident to support this claim?

Brisbane didn't want to play him in the seniors this year because they knew he wanted to leave. This uncomfortable situation between club and player is not a good environment for any player to produce their best. It doesn't mean he's "soft" or "gutless" at all though.

When was the last time that Essendon brought in a good young(ish) player via trade?
Edwards is looking very promising, but not in the Treloar/Aish class.

He wanted to be at Collingwood in 2015 as part of the Dayne Beams trade though, and Brisbane knew it,

Once again, there is NO evidence that Aish wanted to be part of the Beams trade last year. This is speculation. Collingwood did ask Brisbane last year that Aish be included in the trade, along with Pick 5.

Justin Leppitsch spoke with Aish a fortnight ago and seems to have come away from the meeting with the impression that Aish would remain at Brisbane. Jonathan Brown also spoke at length with Aish and came away with the same impression. So did Leigh Matthews. And Peter Schwab. James Aish said, only on Thursday that he was close to the Brisbane players.

Jay Clark reported today that Aish changed his mind about leaving Brisbane a number of times throughout 2015 and Pickering himself said he found it a very difficult thing to do and that his final decision was not made until right before he lodged his request to be traded.

None of that points to Aish being "unhappy" at Brisbane. Nor does it suggest that Aish put his hand up to be traded last year to Collingwood.

Last edited:
I take little notice of his second year blues because he simply didn't want to be at Brisbane.

So he is an undisciplined, unprofessional sook.

He was being paid bloody well by the Lions, it was his duty to put the effort in, not to pick & choose when to turn it on.

Who said James Aish couldn't be bothered? He's 19 years of age. His unhappiness at being at Brisbane and the speculation over his contract does not mean a player is "soft" or "gutless." How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Do you have even one on-field incident to support this claim?

Brisbane didn't want to play him in the seniors this year because they knew he wanted to leave. This uncomfortable situation between club and player is not a good environment for any player to produce their best. It doesn't mean he's "soft" or "gutless" at all though.
If you don't get it I won't bother good luck to aish and yarran I'm glad yarran isn't at carlton anymore and I suspect Brisbane fans would feel the same on aish .
Cheers ..

I've watched every single one of Aish AFL games. How many have you seen? He is as vanilla as you can get. Maybe I was a little harsh on him earlier but he isn't going to be a match winner, or a key component of the Pies. He has a few weaknesses such as his willingness to put his body on the line and his general lack of composure and inability to adapt to pressure situations.

Sounds like his old man, pity he's not like his uncle.

The negativity about Port's trade period is a little askew, IMO

Port trades.jpg

It works out that we paid pick 10 + a 2016 2nd rounder for a gorilla key forward, Dixon, who has played more games per year as he ages.

We paid pick 29 for a 21 YO pick 4, Toumpas, from 3 years ago who is returning to his home state, not a bad gamble to take.

We upgraded pick 50 into pick 32
We upgraded pick 68 into pick 49

According to the Port people we will be using only the 2 draft picks and the required 3rd pick will be used to upgrade Sam Gray onto the senior list.
Krakouer will remain a rookie for 2016.

Plus it says HERE that

"The Power will announce further list changes before list lodgement on October 30."

HERE

So maybe we will delist someone to take a DFA or use a pick in the PSD?

In 19 of his 32 matches Aish has had a disposal efficiency of 80%-91%. In 8 matches, he has had a disposal efficiency of 70%-79%. That's very good for a 19 year old who should only get better, and doesn't sound much like a "butcher" to me. The butcher you go to must use a laser cutting machine and a scalpel.Aish was wearing number 4 for Brisbane. Maybe you were looking at the wrong player. Aish's first 32 games have been much, much better than Toumpas' first 27 games.
Aish has shown little so far other then he cant win hes own ball and is not really a master at anything one thing

... I suspect Brisbane fans would feel the same on aish ..

No. I wish Aish was still at Brisbane. He'll be a very good player.

However the Lions were (and will be) well compensated for his departure. Ryan Bastinac, Ben Keays, Eric Hipwood and Jacob Allison.

AFC have been criticised for years for midfield imbalance - too many inside midfielder & not enough quality on the outside.

Hence the Crows have used some of the Dangerfield currency to fix areas of need, rather than a like for like replacement. We already have Thompson, Sloane, Douglas, B&M Crouch, Ellis-Yolmen & Lyons as inside midfielders & most are not suited to outside roles. Trading for another inside midfielder would be stupid, unless at absolute gun - but none were available.

The Crows have struggled with our quality on the flanks with the likes of Mackay, van Berlo, Henderson & Wright... so we have brought in players who we think will upgrade the weak spots in our team - or at least make them compete harder to keep their spot.

For those who understand Adelaide's list well, this is not difficult to understand.
You lost one of the best 3 players in the afl and replaced him with players that can't make their own 22. For those that understand football well, this is not difficult to understand ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

So who won trade week!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back