Song Contest Part XXII, Host: MWPP, Theme: 4+ Letter Palindromes, Votes Due: Sunday 10:30pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yeah. 100s of songs by the equivalent of Shakespeare for the next hundreds of years but nope!
anyway, I thought it was an interesting play list :). I had never heard Motley Crue or Kanye West do any of their songs before, and they are from recent times

Paul's solo career has a mixed reputation but it's ridiculously productive. I found plenty of enjoyable material when I listened to this last year -

Some highlights include but aren't limited to -

George Harrison is the Jack Sinclair of the AFL. Underrated, Underappreciated. Voted accordingly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

George Harrison is the Jack Sinclair of the AFL. Underrated, Underappreciated. Voted accordingly
Even so I wouldn 't say all his best work was on display in that list...would you?

Also tbh, is he really underrated?

I think it's John. Either him or Paul.
Paul MC was obviously the one with no shoes. That's all I knew. I thought Ringo was second, George last, and Lennon first by process of elimination but no idea if I'm right or not.

The question about Flo-Rida was easy. I didn't get any others.

Even so I wouldn 't say all his best work was on display in that list...would you?

Also tbh, is he really underrated?
There was one good one, one average one.

It's not exactly Here comes the sun but the playlist wasn't exactly beaming and refused to vote for Guitar weeps.

There was one good one, one average one.

It's not exactly Here comes the sun but the playlist wasn't exactly beaming and refused to vote for Guitar weeps.
Of course you did.😂
Why do you ignore the parameters given by a host?
Can you not accept that some rounds are about celebrating the best songs?

There a quite a few of us paying a price listening wise, because songs were nommed way before our time!

If the host says previous podiums OK, I'm gonna honour that.

I'm curious as to your stance.😊

Last edited:
Of course you did.😂
Why do you ignore the paramaters given by a host?

There a quite a few of us paying a price listening wise, because songs were nommed way before our time!

IT was a cheap cash grab. Of all the songs they chose one of the more successful Beatles songs in the SC. I quite enjoyed the covers anyway.

Last edited:
Of course you did.😂
Why do you ignore the paramaters given by a host?

Fwiw I'm of the same mindset. The reasons being -
A. I participate to discover new music and thus, with some exceptions, vote for new-to-me music I enjoy.
B. Songs that have won/podiumed have already been acknowledged as being great and loved so it seems redundant to reward them again (plus by doing so it costs other new noms the chance to get some recognition).

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a much loved song of mine btw. The live Prince tribute was even my favourite song for a period of time. I won't vote for it though given my aforementioned preferences. That's no slight on what an extraordinary achievement the song is.

I'm not saying your rationale is wrong btw. If you play to celebrate the classic hits that's wonderful and I don't want that taken away from you! Indeed there's no wrong way to enjoy the Song Contest. I'm just stating my motivations as you said you were curious :)

Fwiw I'm of the same mindset. The reasons being -
A. I participate to discover new music and thus, with some exceptions, vote for new-to-me music I enjoy.
B. Songs that have won/podiumed have already been acknowledged as being great and loved so it seems redundant to reward them again (plus by doing so it costs other new noms the chance to get some recognition).

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is a much loved song of mine btw. The live Prince tribute was even my favourite song for a period of time. I won't vote for it though given my aforementioned preferences. That's no slight on what an extraordinary achievement the song is.

I'm not saying your rationale is wrong btw. If you play to celebrate the classic hits that's wonderful and I don't want that taken away from you! Indeed there's no wrong way to enjoy the Song Contest. I'm just stating my motivations as you said you were curious :)
Mm.
But I'm not saying that Ocha. I too love to discover new music.
What I'm saying is, I'm willing to accept and play by the parameters of the host!
And it isn't even about celebrating 'classic' songs. If a song becomes beloved by many people there is something in that universal appeal usually. And it becomes a classic.

whether for vibe, passion, freshness that lasts over years...like Danny Boy is a classic and Greensleeves. Why? They touch something universal in us.
Yeah, I am interested in the soul, spirit or even psychology of that ...
But again, my usual nomming when there are no podiums allowed, runs to the more unusual I think.

And to close my argument...I think it's insulting for whoever nommed that beautiful song by George, for Purple to dismiss it as a vote grab attempt.
I think that says more about the filter purple is looking through, than the choice of a gorgeous George song that really honours him.
I wish there had been more classic stuff, but it's everyone's personal choice isn't it.

Mm.
But I'm not saying that Ocha. I too love to discover new music.
What I'm saying is, I'm willing to accept and play by the parameters of the host!
And it isn't even about celebrating 'classic' songs. If a song becomes beloved by many people there is something in that universal appeal usually. And it becomes a classic.

whether for vibe, passion, freshness that lasts over years...like Danny Boy is a classic and Greensleeves. Why? They touch something universal in us.
Yeah, I am interested in the soul, spirit or even psychology of that ...
But again, my usual nomming when there are no podiums allowed, runs to the more unusual I think.

And to close my argument...I think it's insulting for whoever nommed that beautiful song by George, for Purple to dismiss it as a vote grab attempt.
I think that says more about the filter purple is looking through, than the choice of a gorgeous George song that really honours him.
I wish there had been more classic stuff, but it's everyone's personal choice isn't it.
I gave one of his other songs the 5 votes because it was new to me and I really liked it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Song Contest Part XXII, Host: MWPP, Theme: 4+ Letter Palindromes, Votes Due: Sunday 10:30pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back