Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

And you're still wrong, and talking out of your derriere, 10 score involvements, 9 clearances.....strange take if he didn't play well how bad were the other midfielders, he did his job getting his hands on the pill and most of his hand balls put a player in a better position, not his fault if they then proceeded to burn the ball. I think it's you that needs to watch it again and take off your blinkers this time.
Crouch has probably been our best player this year.

Has been very good under pressure. As you say putting the ball to our advantage.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I sat high in the Southern Stand Friday night and got a good view of our ball movement and defensive formation.

Apart from midfield issues a big issue was being hemmed in at HB/,Wing.

Our guys looking to move the ball forward in a straight line down the ground.

Geelong see this and put bulk numbers there. They knew they didn't have to cut off diagnL movement.

We kick it forward, turnover.

We switch play, it is still in a straight line. Just out to the other wing. Geelong move their defence sideways. Turnover.

The one time we go on the diagonal, Burgess gets out on a lead. But missed that set shot.

Exactly this. Geelong are masters at this on their home ground, and AO is pretty similar dimensions wise...i.e. long and thin, so far easier to clog up forward movements, unless the opponent takes risks - of which we did none of. 66 I50's should've meant a winning score. Wrong match-up on Stewart as well...after the first quarter it had to be someone like Hinge, not Pedlar.

Crouch has probably been our best player this year.

Has been very good under pressure. As you say putting the ball to our advantage.

Perhaps coincedentally, he's the only senior in our side that's had his career threatened. Maybe if Smith and a couple of others had been dropped and left without a contract, we might have a few more pulling their finger out.

With a midfield that includes Crouch, Laird and Berry we obviously get our hands on the ball and win our fair share of clearances but we do little to no damage with them. We're masters at the dump kick out of stoppage that does our forward line (which isn't blessed with any pack-busting contested mark types) no favours and which the opposition (ala Stewart) can easily mop up.

When the ball starts going the other way I don't see Crouch, Laird and Berry as being great runners who cover the ground and can block up the ground and pressure/turn over the ball in transition.

We need a genuinely dynamic, two-way running midfielder who can hurt oppo on the way out and pressure on the way back.

With a midfield that includes Crouch, Laird and Berry we obviously get our hands on the ball and win our fair share of clearances but we do little to no damage with them. We're masters at the dump kick out of stoppage that does our forward line (which isn't blessed with any pack-busting contested mark types) no favours and which the opposition (ala Stewart) can easily mop up.

When the ball starts going the other way I don't see Crouch, Laird and Berry as being great runners who cover the ground and can block up the ground and pressure/turn over the ball in transition.

We need a genuinely dynamic, two-way running midfielder who can hurt oppo on the way out and pressure on the way back.
Given the metres again by them, they are dishing them to Dawson hence his very high metres gain but his ball use in the first few games has been to bomb it unlike last year, need Rankine (he started there last week), Rachele and Soligo in there more to provide them another option.

Whilst I certainly agree with this, if our ball use going forward is better our defensive running is less important, and to be honest I don’t think our ball winners should be our defensive runners

Watching Footy Furnace on Channel 9 .....Jimmy Bartel and Leigh Matthews both saying ....between Laird, Crouch, and Berry, you have carbon copies of each other .....and how can you get so many possessions, and not go anywhere

It just reinforces my POV ....that Crouch did not play well, heaps of possessions .....but no damage done, as has been
his MO

Watch it, and make your own opinion
Fan Reaction GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

Exactly this. Geelong are masters at this on their home ground, and AO is pretty similar dimensions wise...i.e. long and thin, so far easier to clog up forward movements, unless the opponent takes risks - of which we did none of. 66 I50's should've meant a winning score. Wrong match-up on Stewart as well...after the first quarter it had to be someone like Hinge, not Pedlar.
If we used diagonal movement more often we don't fall into this trap.

Good:

Butts and Worrell are holding up well, anything but top quality entries were thwarted quite well.
Burgess is ok.
We play our best footy with a bit of chaos, taking risks and shooting from the hip.
We look so much better when Soligo and Pedlar get around the footy.

Bad:
How many times did we turn the ball over in the backline and just stand there dumbfounded? No run from behind, no movement, nobody presenting. Down the line we go.
In contrast, Geelong were able to run the ball out of the backline with so much ease, clearing down the line contests over the back and having Hawkins and Cameron with 40M of space to run around in. Just an easy, clinical kill.
Friday night would have been perfect for Thilthorpe to play.
Dawson bombing the ball in but it all came down to pressure. Geelong set up well for that and just structured in a way that Stewart is always alone.
Only Ned McHenry looked like taking anyone on, which is just... sad. Perhaps he should be in the leadership group instead of OOF McFumbles wearing #33

Do all teams have such stringently dedicated extractors (Crouch, laird, berry) and kickers (Dawson, Soligo, Rachele, Rankine) from stoppages like we do. Feel like this is part of the problem that makes us so predictable and easy to defend against.

It’s not like this is a new problem either. They’ve had a long time to sort this out.
Like playing Rachele and Soligo in there at the start of 8 weeks last year, playing Pedlar there against the Saints last year, playing Rankine there last week. And all looked they belong there.

Bad:
How many times did we turn the ball over in the backline and just stand there dumbfounded? No run from behind, no movement, nobody presenting. Down the line we go.
In contrast, Geelong were able to run the ball out of the backline with so much ease, clearing down the line contests over the back and having Hawkins and Cameron with 40M of space to run around in. Just an easy, clinical kill.
This! and
it's a Coaching problem; Defensive and Head Coach, not doing their jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1939087

Via the AFL subreddit/credittodubois.com

A lot of blue forward 50 entries from Geelong's right wing.
This is interesting from the reddit as well:
o2hjzzgp6dqc1.jpeg

We also managed to kick like crap, booting ourselves out of the game, while Geelong kicked really well.

Taken from a fox footy article on this page...

Often a clean and brutal user of the ball going forward, Adelaide captain Dawson was guilty of uncharacteristically ‘dump kicking’ against the Cats, going at 55 per cent efficiency from his 18 kicks.

Laird was in a similar boat, going at 54 per cent from his 11 disposals by foot.

Crouch was easily the best from Adelaide’s first-choice midfield, kicking at 76 per cent with an overall disposal efficiency of 89.2 per cent for the match – a seriously impressive stat line given the 28-year-old had a match-high 37 disposals.
WW wouldn’t like this

If you honestly couldn't work out Crouch was easily our best midfielder, I have a rabbit to sell you...

He was out best midfielder but that doesnt really say much all things considered.

He was slowing play the other night, but Im not sure thats all on him.

Good: The confidence and ownership young Butts showed when recieving the free(or mark) 55m out from goal.
Pointed towards the big sticks, then turned his back like a boss.

I dont care if his maximum distance is 40m on a good day,or that his kick didnt even make the goal square. He showed a level of self belief and leadership that Ive never seen from him before. Loved every minutes of it

He was out best midfielder but that doesnt really say much all things considered.

He was slowing play the other night, but Im not sure thats all on him.
You could see him looking for options but we were really stagnant most of the time.

He's happy to move the ball on quickly if he has options.

We really were not working hard enough nor moving the ball quick enough.

This is interesting from the reddit as well:
View attachment 1939227

We also managed to kick like crap, booting ourselves out of the game, while Geelong kicked really well.
Great, we were the only side expected to win that lost... makes me feel so much better...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back