St Kilda's Salary Cap (in a few years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 22, 2001
Mulgrave
AFL Club
Essendon
Nick Reiwoldt, Luke Ball, Xavier Clarke, Barry Brooks, Nick Dal Santo, Bredon Goddard, Justin Kochitzske.

These chaps all have something in common: first round draft pick. and assuming they they all go on to become (some of them already have) superstars.

If this is the case, they are all gonna be asking for alot of money.

How can St. Kilda afford to have all of them?? even five, four of them?

the fact is, sooner or later, there gonna be in a lot of trouble....

Originally posted by Black JuJu
If they manage themselves well, I'm sure they can fit everyone.

It's all down to good list management and payment structure - and not giving into player demands.

Being another team maybe, but being StKilda I reckon those two sentences are just out of place together!! ;)

I seem to remember a news clip saying somewhere that a bunch of those blokes had made a pack to win a premiership together, who knows if these guys are committed to staying at one club then St Kilda could dominate for years to come.

They did the right thing by signing Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Hayes I think it was, to medium-to-long term contracts before they come into their own.

If anyone think they won't have problems at one stage though, they're kidding themselves. These kids are going to be guns, and not everyone will be getting their fair slice of the pie. Maybe a few will maintain their commitment to the premiership or whatever that is, but someone will give in to the almighty dollar - beliedat playa.

Originally posted by scooter600x
Ah, the Jack Elliot defence.

Head, sand, buried.

Did you really want a saints supporter to reply with an essay like response?

Because if you do, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Savatage's reply is the most appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This doesn't sound like a Saints bashing thread to me. I agree we will have some problems in the future. I'm just hoping that after seeing the rewards the Lions reaped by sticking together, the young Sainters will follow suite.
Here's to 2010 with the Saints still a major force after winning 3 premierships... I'd like to see that!!

My, we are sensitive, Saints, aren't we?

And not one sensible reply amoung the lot (apologies to aussierulesOK).

It is clear that plenty into a cap won't go, so something will have to give. I think Gerhig should have been off-loaded while he still had some value.

In a few years time, nearly your entire list will be fairly young and while you will probably be successful, will be in the same position as Essendon was, and will have to dump players.

A responsible management (such as Essendons) in those circumstances will sell off good players for draft picks to keep the cycle going.

Accept that not all of Riewoldt, Koschitske, Ball, Goddard et al will be long term St. Kilda players.

perhaps we should cheat like melbourne, essendon, collingwood etc?

or alternatively we can ask for a relocation allowance fo 10% of the salary cap like Brisbane, given snowey is a queenslander, or 15% as guys like kosi, hammer and lenny are NSW players etc?

Its pretty obvious we may lose a few players round the edges, but really...

1.2 M for Kouta? 500K for farmer, headland and croad, 800k for hank bulger?

I think we are long way of the ridiculous contract going around.

Originally posted by scooter600x
My, we are sensitive, Saints, aren't we?

And not one sensible reply amoung the lot (apologies to aussierulesOK).

It is clear that plenty into a cap won't go, so something will have to give. I think Gerhig should have been off-loaded while he still had some value.

In a few years time, nearly your entire list will be fairly young and while you will probably be successful, will be in the same position as Essendon was, and will have to dump players.

A responsible management (such as Essendons) in those circumstances will sell off good players for draft picks to keep the cycle going.

Accept that not all of Riewoldt, Koschitske, Ball, Goddard et al will be long term St. Kilda players.

So a sensible reply equals something you agree with?

This topic has been done to death.

The best two posts have been by Savatage and Joffaboy because it's treated the topic with the contempt it deserves.

Essendon have not been responsible. I won't say they were irresponsible because the salary cap wasn't increased at the rate that the AFL and players association initially muted so they were left a bit high and dry. However signing up a player like Mercuri to a five year deal (no matter how good he was in 1999) isn't exactly responsible management either.

We are putting together an awesome list and all we ever here from is people like you.

We are well under the salary cap for next season (notice we weren't even linked to a high profile player over the trade period) because we realise every bit of space in the cap will be important.

You should just accept that the kids are loving at Moorabbin at the moment. Having seen the transformation in the morale and attitude of the players at the club, we'll keep them all if they want to remain.

Becoming a negative soul like yourself for a second, if one or two of the players do have thoughts about leaving, it will be because we haven't delivered on the field in 2004 and 2005 rather than any salary cap issue.

Originally posted by Stegelator
How can St. Kilda afford to have all of them?? even five, four of them?

the fact is, sooner or later, there gonna be in a lot of trouble....

Who can afford them though? Seems all clubs are under salary cap pressure, and there's only that many times a club can ask their players to take pay cuts before they're told to beat it.

This year we saw several players moving clubs, or threatening to do so, due to failed contract negotiations. Port refused to trade Stevens, whilst Hawthorn forced Rawlings into the draft where he won't get the wages he probably wanted. Clubs are starting to stand their ground on salary demands, and I feel players will slowly stop over-valueing themselves.

I think St Kilda, assuming smart management, should walk out of this just fine.

Don't worry about Goddard - he will fit beautifully under Carltons salary cap from 2005 onwards.

Regarding the other players - only time will tell if they value each other and their current team above the almighty dollar (oh..and winning premierships;) )

Stevens didn't leave Port because of failed contract negotiations.

As for St Kilda's cap, I don't see many real concerns unless the bottom teams actually target their players with big money.

The blokes that they've overpaid now like Gehrig and Hamill will be the ones to take cuts in three years time....effectively making their time at St Kilda a front-loaded contract. It works pretty well.

If I was building a playing list in an entirely cynical way, I'd be doing it exactly how St Kilda are.

04 and 05 will be the big years. That is when everyone's contract will expire andby then a lot of them will want a lot more. As others have said the Aints, top 10 on the money, next 10 below average, after that no depth at all.

If dollars are spent on the top 10 the other holes will not be filled and that is where the problem will come from.

On the cultural aspect, well all I can say is I have had it rammed down my throat about the ability of the Pies to lose Gf's. Laugh at cultural history if you like but it has a nasty way of biting you on the bum. All it would take is some scandal etc down at Moorabin and all the old skeletons will come out.

If these player want to stay, are committed to the club and to making St Kilda the best side they can be, who says they can't stay?
Brisbane have been able to keep most of thier star studded team together, as have North Melbourne, Hawthorn and the Bombers dynasties of the past, why is there this perception about St Kilda? It really annoys me the small minded generalisations people make about other clubs.
Maybe you're all just a bit more concerned than you'd care to admit about what will happen if (and when) we are able to keep all our star youngsters as they mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda's Salary Cap (in a few years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back