Stuart Fox leaves and the search for a replacement CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

He has some pretty exciting academic qualifications and career progression, and has the Saints running profitably. Knows the footy business already. I'd be pretty happy with this recruitment.

Caro says we may lose out as we are making the process too "exhaustive" for him.

If he wont go thru it then good luck to him, not a standout candidate so cant have any favours
Did you actually read the article?
We didn't start looking until Feb, we haven't interviewed anyone yet.
He's been on the hook for what 6 weeks, he's our preferred candidate and we haven't even talked to him?

Problem is on our side

Did you actually read the article?
We didn't start looking until Feb, we haven't interviewed anyone yet.
He's been on the hook for what 6 weeks, he's our preferred candidate and we haven't even talked to him?

Problem is on our side

I don't think we're immune from criticism in this instance.

We knew that Fox was leaving in late December, but it took until February to appoint the recruitment firm to head the search.

Much as the AFL claims it wasn't a parachute job - I can safely speculate that Evans probably told Gil he was interested in the AFL job and was likely offered more money to save the Gold Coast. Dare say we had the rug pulled out from under us and had to start from scratch.

I also understand if Bains wants to be loyal and not spend too much time applying for a job when he currently has a footy club to run.

Just hope we appoint someone sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which to me only evidences that we didn't have a contingency plan in place.

Because Fox was contracted. If we had a ready-made CEO replacement in our ranks you can guarantee they'd have been poached already much like anyone else with a modicum of talent from our ranks these past few years.

I seem to recall some criticism of our process in selecting our last coach.
Seems our slow decision making cost us Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade leaving us having to settle for an inexperienced bloke called Clarkson.
that worked out but I don't know why we waited two months to start looking in this instance

if we have a preferred candidate and we haven't started interviews of any nature and we are 4 months down the track from knowing we had a vacancy to fill it doesn't sound like we have decisive leadership in place that is going to go out find their man and get their man

of course we could still get Bains, or end up with someone as good or better but we could also end up with someone worse.

that worked out but I don't know why we waited two months to start looking in this instance

if we have a preferred candidate and we haven't started interviews of any nature and we are 4 months down the track from knowing we had a vacancy to fill it doesn't sound like we have decisive leadership in place that is going to go out find their man and get their man

of course we could still get Bains, or end up with someone as good or better but we could also end up with someone worse.

I can only guess that the two month wait was probably waiting for Evans to make a decision and the AFL instead parachuting him into the Gold Coast - which they deny is the case so it most likely is.

I can only guess that the two month wait was probably waiting for Evans to make a decision and the AFL instead parachuting him into the Gold Coast - which they deny is the case so it most likely is.
If he was their preferred candidate but they were still intent on going through the process then they should have started the process earlier

If he was the preferred candidate so they were holding off on the process then we have an issue as they didn't get him which apart from the jobs for mates angle is an issue in itself

If they believe Bains is the man for the job then they should be getting him

If he was their preferred candidate but they were still intent on going through the process then they should have started the process earlier

If he was the preferred candidate so they were holding off on the process then we have an issue as they didn't get him which apart from the jobs for mates angle is an issue in itself

If they believe Bains is the man for the job then they should be getting him

I am glad we missed Evans, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was being sounded out and the AFL told him to hold tight while they pulled strings to parachute him into the Suns where he likely got a fatter remuneration package as a result. This is all speculation - but this is the AFL we are talking about and the Suns are an absolute basket case so it's not speculation without merit.

Believing Bains is the man for the job is one thing - but there still has to be a process. I have worked in roles where I could do absolutely zero damage to the company but have still had to have multiple interviews, skills/knowledge tests, personality/psychological testing or profiling as well as going through comprehensive educational, criminal and financial background checks. I'm not even in a management role. I have zero qualms with the Hawks not just handing the job out because his resume looks good and he is well regarded. When you are coming on to be our CEO at such a crucial stage of the Dingley project - then you have to be the absolute best candidate. Granted I am saying all of this without knowing what 'hoops' Bains has already been through (if any) and what we want him to do being more or less arduous than other CEO application processes. However - if Silvers is getting the job in the mean time and we want to ensure we get the best long-term candidate - then let's not rush it and give it to the first person who sounds good.

I am glad we missed Evans, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was being sounded out and the AFL told him to hold tight while they pulled strings to parachute him into the Suns where he likely got a fatter remuneration package as a result. This is all speculation - but this is the AFL we are talking about and the Suns are an absolute basket case so it's not speculation without merit.

Believing Bains is the man for the job is one thing - but there still has to be a process. I have worked in roles where I could do absolutely zero damage to the company but have still had to have multiple interviews, skills/knowledge tests, personality/psychological testing or profiling as well as going through comprehensive educational, criminal and financial background checks. I'm not even in a management role. I have zero qualms with the Hawks not just handing the job out because his resume looks good and he is well regarded. When you are coming on to be our CEO at such a crucial stage of the Dingley project - then you have to be the absolute best candidate. Granted I am saying all of this without knowing what 'hoops' Bains has already been through (if any) and what we want him to do being more or less arduous than other CEO application processes. However - if Silvers is getting the job in the mean time and we want to ensure we get the best long-term candidate - then let's not rush it and give it to the first person who sounds good.
you have to be able to adapt to the situation though

Remove this Banner Ad

Stuart Fox leaves and the search for a replacement CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back