Subiaco To Be Named Anzac Field

Remove this Banner Ad

pivotal said:
Ive heard this sort of response many times over the years. Trust me, you and most others will be calling it Anzac Field in a couple of years.

Tell me, is it Skilled Stadium or Kardinia Park for you?

Its still Kardinia Park for me, same as its still Princes Park, Football Park, Docklands & Stadium Australia. Naming rights are for vested interests and commentators only. People who don't give a rats arse about who's paying the bills will still call it what its always been called.

I am not a fan of the name change at all. I think Subiaco Oval is fine and I like the idea of Subi not being renamed for some sponsorship crap like so many other venue's around Auatralia. Unfortunately Football is a business and businesses need to make money :(

Government rejects Anzac Field request

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200505/s1380584.htm

The Federal Government has turned down a request to rename a Subiaco football oval in Western Australia as Anzac Field.

The proposal was put forward by the West Australian Football Commission.

Veterans Affairs Minister De-Anne Kelly has rejected the request.

During a Senate estimates hearing last night, the department's secretary Mark Sullivan said the decision was taken because the Perth oval had no link to the Anzac tradition.

"I don't think it was ever really going to fly," he said.

"I'm not sure that there was overwhelming support for the oval."

Yep, the WAFC say this isn't the end of it but it's dead in the water.

90% 'NO' vote in the TV polls show a lack of public support and now with the government knocking them back Subi will never wear the 'ANZAC' name.

and rightly so.

Whatever the differences of opinion about the "ANZAC" part, I think we would all have to agree that the "Field" part is just not on. What Dodo ;) thought of that????

The grounds where Australian Football is played are called "Oval" or "Park" or "Cricket Ground". They are not called "Field". I can't believe anyone ever thought that was a good idea. :rolleyes:

Mr Eagle said:
Government rejects Anzac Field request
"I don't think it was ever really going to fly," he said.

"I'm not sure that there was overwhelming support for the oval."

Thank god someone has shot down this renaming.

IMO it's just not appropriate. I would have taken Crazy John Stadium before sinking to Anzac Field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Subiaco To Be Named Anzac Field

Remove this Banner Ad

Back