Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Knew the others, Blanck looks a very good type body wise. Anyone know his height/weight aswell as Position and so on?
Blanck is a key defender.

Blanck certainly has filled out..at least compared to the images of him available online, which, to be fair may have gone back to his draft year of 2018.

Also taller than I thought...listed at 195cm on the Box Hill site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impey is fine. Far out.

Also if we're talking about rigs, how had nobody mentioned the shape Dimma is in. What a professional.
Yeh the two that stood out for me in those pics were Mitchell and Dimma.

Mitchell is looking like he could be in for another brownlow level year, he looks absolutely cherry ripe

And Dimma looks like he is carved out of granite in those pics!

Also good to see the boys with more of a balanced body type (to my eyes at least). Cant help but feel we have gone a bit too heavy on the endurance side of things last 5 years, the lads seem to have a little more muscle on their bones this pre season which I think is great.

That would be the dumbest idea I've ever read.
I like Imps, but he couldn't hold Jarman's jock in any equation regarding their abilities.
Impey needs to be in great shape to carry out a role for this Club full stop.

Just went back to the Club website to take a reminder look at some earlier galleries to confirm what I had been remembering.
Training from 13/12/21 pic 6 you can see he's carrying a pouch.

Looking in shape and being in shape are totally different things. For some people, the effort involved in getting their bodyfat that low would be deleterious to their performance. Andrew Gaff is one of the best endurance runners in the competition and he's hardly the poster boy for muscle definition.

Looking in shape and being in shape are totally different things. For some people, the effort involved in getting their bodyfat that low would be deleterious to their performance. Andrew Gaff is one of the best endurance runners in the competition and he's hardly the poster boy for muscle definition.

I'll try and be as generous as I can on this.
I agree with your first premise, and certainly some players have shown they can succeed with non standard body types.

To my specific post, let me expand (lol).

Darren Jarman could have been the greatest footballer of all time. As in, Jordan esqe. Clearly the best.
When he arrived at Hawthorn, and I was hanging over the boundary at the time, he was not exactly a great trainer.
In fact, he never became what you'd call a great trainer, however in his first few seasons with us he worked hard enough to change his body type and athletic ability considerably. He played fairly lean and had that stange ability to not look like he was going but still keep clear of an opponent and could put in a giddy up when he sensed it to create a gap that gave him extra time. He covered ground, could get up for a hanger, had endless time, the ball on a string, footskills that have never been approached, was in short a supercar in amongst luxury sports brands and made them look average or at least a level below.
But he couldn't sustain an interest in working that hard in training, or in monitoring what he ate, and over a couple seasons started to pack it on in a way he couldn't quite reverse over summer pre-seasons.
He was still glorious with the ball in hand, but the change was significant enough it caused uncomfortable discussions in Hawthorn management who were ALL about elite efforts and training and couldn't happily accept the endomorph Darren leaned towards being.

Darren didn't like the Hawthorn push back, and Hawthorn didn't want to back down.
And Jarman went home largely because of it. It wasn't missing home or his brother, it was where he could be who he wanted and eventually just sit at fullforward for Adelaide and rely on his brilliant ability and little else. Adelaide sold him that they'd take him however he wanted to come and that was enough.

That's not a pathway any elite Club would countenance today.

I'm not suggesting at all that Impey is down that road significantly or irrevocably, however considering the enormous amount of time he's missed at the Club through injury and how long he's had to prepare for this offseason, he's one player i had imagined turning up in A triple plus condition. To give himself the absolute best chance of making all he can of the back end of his career.

Since Imp has been at our Club I've seen him in a variety of playing physical conditions, and even ever slightly rounded he's got lots to offer.
I've also seen him very lean and conditioned so it's not as if he's NEVER been able to shed weight and achieve an 'athletes' low skin fold shape.

Guess some don't like any takes at all during offseason based on observations that aren't simply full spin positive, and if that's all I gave I'd get it.
But over my posting history I'm largely a pump up red hot Hawthorn fan, believing always in the team/Club's ability to return to a place of relevance.
Notice I say Club and not player or coach. I love both when they are of positive value to the football Club, and am happy to move on to the next when it is clear the Club cannot achieve it's aims standing where they were.

I reckon Impey will be fine, but pointing out how he looks condition wise regardless of whether it's in a T or not - guess what so are all the other players who are physically ripped and look it - as he tries to re-establish himself seems a fair post at this time of the year.

But I guess we could talk about Covid/Jeff/Clarko's everlasting effect on the team instead if everyone prefers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back