Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Intraclub game

Best on (in my opinion):

Newcombe
Howe
Moore
Lewis

Newcombe dominated in the midfield and went forward and had an impact. Kicked at least a couple. He is a beast. Remember, this is his first AFL preseason. Lock for round 1.

It still blows me away what an under hyped / under appreciated story young Newcombe is.
To turn up for a Box Hill training session, to make immediate and overwhelming impact, to be called - famously for mine - Box Hills toughest player as an 18-19 year old after maybe half a dozen runs, while in front of his teammates, by Mitch in a coaching session.....and the moment was never too much for him.
Put on to our list and then later getting a run with the first team and laying 14 tackles in his first game.
He looks like a modern day Barney to me, with all the same belief and instinct to simply go and take what he wants.
And now in his first proper preseason to stand tall amongst really talented and eager teammates, many honed by game and fortune and desire to further their own possibilities, and Newk finds his way to impose himself.
Absolute freakin storybook.

Last edited:

Really top class reports. Appreciation to ALL contributors... Tigerman, SYL, Axeman. Stemline, Pinoy Hawk and anyone else I forgot.

Last game of 2020. Almost certainly Dylan's last game vs Gold Coast playing for our great club. Truly inspiring comeback and even if he is having a quieter game, you can see him busting his gut chasing, tackling, willing himself to contribute.

Love all our soldiers but Moorey has a special place in my heart.

From that snippet in the past our game style we would mark, stop and look to find the best option to move it on …….. but looks to be taking the game on more? Harder for opponents to setup and coach against this. It will probably lead to some mistakes but geez it will open things up and our forwards will surely benefit from when it does come in. Love it!

Newcombe showing wheels and lacing out a target from 50 metres. He might be the forgotten young cog in our rebuild if he starts adding new weapons.
I'm amazed that people seemed to have forgotten his impact judging by the number of round 1 sides that haven't got him selected.

He'd be the first mid on the teamsheet for me.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Newcombe showing wheels and lacing out a target from 50 metres. He might be the forgotten young cog in our rebuild if he starts adding new weapons.
He was a bull today. Kicked a goal at one point after bullocking his way through a contest, breaking a tackle or two and slamming it home from 15 out.

Having players like Newcombe and Nash come from nowhere to announce themselves as AFL quality midfielders helps accelerate the rebuild so much.

I'm amazed that people seemed to have forgotten his impact judging by the number of round 1 sides that haven't got him selected.

He'd be the first mid on the teamsheet for me.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Last couple of years been a bit sick of getting bullied around the ball in the middle of the ground. No disrespect to guys like JOM, Tom etc they put their bodies on the line but we need to find that perceived pressure again ……. when the opposition go for the ball in the back of their minds they need to know that they will cop it, they have to earn it! That’s been our brand in the successful years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see him take on (and learn from) Cunnington. He's such an underrated player.
I agree, his ability to get contested ball is overrated because he's too slow to get separation - pretty much all his disposals are gonna be contested - but his ability to get first hands and fire off a clearance is underrated. Arguably the best in the business at that.

So we're playing Cartlon at Ikon next Thurs in a scratch match apparently.
Yes, but it's a full lockout. Only matchday staff and players.

Second half of 4th quarter and end of match:

Mitch Lewis took a mark about 50 out left hand side pushed against boundary, comes out and snaps it straight through. Anthony Rocca AFL Live 2004 spec.

Reeves and Big Boy seems to be the best partnering. In a way Lynch plays too similar to Big Boy, for the make up of the squad one tap ruck and one that can do bits around the ground seems the better pairing.

Look, gold’s defence has been atrocious but you play against who you’re playing. Moore and Lewis have absolutely feasted. Both kicking another goal

Phillips disposal puts him on the outer. No doubt about it. With so many others who are champing for that spot. A massive gas tank gets you only so far. I haven’t seen him hit a single target.

Elite play saw Mitchell get the tap, fizz it to Sic on the left hand wing release the perfect handball to Bramble who borks and goals from 40 odd. The boys all loved it.

C Mac and Ward are pretty on par for mine. Ward slightly edging. Shades of Campbell and Gulden from the Swans. Blood them both. Both teenagers but mix it with men seamlessly. Good decision makers and cool heads.

Overall, it was awesome watching some live footy again.

I have Moore as my best today, followed by Newcomb and Mitch Lewis.

Lewis was so much larger than his opponent though, but you play who you play. I don’t think I saw Kozi go near it at all today. Lewis feasted.

C Mac and Ward are class acts and I’m keen to see them debut very early.

Thank you for having me gents. I wish I lived closer to Punt Rd 😉

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Second half of 4th quarter and end of match:

Mitch Lewis took a mark about 50 out left hand side pushed against boundary, comes out and snaps it straight through. Anthony Rocca AFL Live 2004 spec.

Reeves and Big Boy seems to be the best partnering. In a way Lynch plays too similar to Big Boy, for the make up of the squad one tap ruck and one that can do bits around the ground seems the better pairing.

Look, gold’s defence has been atrocious but you play against who you’re playing. Moore and Lewis have absolutely feasted. Both kicking another goal

Phillips disposal puts him on the outer. No doubt about it. With so many others who are champing for that spot. A massive gas tank gets you only so far. I haven’t seen him hit a single target.

Elite play saw Mitchell get the tap, fizz it to Sic on the left hand wing release the perfect handball to Bramble who borks and goals from 40 odd. The boys all loved it.

C Mac and Ward are pretty on par for mine. Ward slightly edging. Shades of Campbell and Gulden from the Swans. Blood them both. Both teenagers but mix it with men seamlessly. Good decision makers and cool heads.

Overall, it was awesome watching some live footy again.

I have Moore as my best today, followed by Newcomb and Mitch Lewis.

Lewis was so much larger than his opponent though, but you play who you play. I don’t think I saw Kozi go near it at all today. Lewis feasted.

C Mac and Ward are class acts and I’m keen to see them debut very early.

Thank you for having me gents. I wish I lived closer to Punt Rd 😉
I hope a nice Hawk living near Punt Rd returns the favour one day. Awesome write up

One of Lewis's early goals was after he out-bodied Hartigan in an isolated one on one contest, 30m out. It was great to see him just push Hartigan to the side and put those big mits up.
That's the sort of thing we want to see more of this year.
Awesome stuff! Lewis is a vital cog moving forward and up the ladder. If he can be the presence we need around the ground and in the 50 it will bring the smalls into the game Bruest,Moore, Wingard, Brockman, one on one they are dangerous.

Is Kosi still a 🔐 for round one ? With Gunners back in form, Mcevoy playing forward

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back