Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Axeman's and Kambo's versions are better.

Anyway I have pasted below which I think are the important bits of the article.

Hawthorn’s hopes of delivering coach Sam Mitchell a strong debut season have lifted after Jack Gunston, James Sicily, Mitch Lewis and a top draftee were among those to impress in an intra-club match at Waverley on Tuesday.
Sicily has not played a senior match since round 12, 2020 because of a knee reconstruction while Gunston managed only one match last season, but both are keen to play key roles under Mitchell and a new-look assistant coaching panel.

James Sicily has been sorely missed by the Hawthorn
Gunston, having overcome back issues which led to surgery, spent the morning up forward where he has made a name for himself as one of the league’s premier sharpshooters.
He worked well alongside Dylan Moore (27 goals last season) and Lewis, who is preparing for his sixth season and has declared he needs to improve. Lewis booted eight goals, leading and marking well, and wants to be a key figure inside attacking 50, having contributed 22 goals in 14 matches last year.

“I feel like I’ve underperformed, especially last year and the year before, so I’m looking forward to having a big 2022 season,” Lewis said last month.

“Hopefully, our style of ball movement and game plan can help the forwards have a strong season.”
Moore booted five goals and appears set for another strong season. Sicily is central to the Hawks’ defensive plans, where his athleticism and drive are crucial.
Josh Ward, the Hawks’ top draftee of 2021 and No.7 overall, began at the centre bounce and wowed onlookers with his dash and ball use. Ward has long been a major accumulator and his aerobic capacity was on show in the heat.

Fellow draftee and midfielder Connor Macdonald (pick 26) was also busy in the contest.
Reappointed captain Ben McEvoy was also used up forward, allowing Ned Reeves and recruit Max Lynch to be used in the ruck. Lynch, the former Magpie, was signed on the final day of last year’s trade period.

“Obviously, it’s very different. ‘Clarko’ spent a hell of a lot of time at the club over the journey ... but it’s a very exciting time at the club,” Lewis said.
‘An exceptional leader of our football club’: Melbourne president backs Goodwin after allegations

“Everyone is very optimistic about the season ahead – he [Mitchell] has set out a really strong game plan that we can all follow.”
Great to hear Mitch feels the same about his last 2 years as me!

I hope a nice Hawk living near Punt Rd returns the favour one day. Awesome write up

I have the proximity but my commentary on Richmond depth players would be fairly useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A friend of mine who went said Lewis has clearly gone to another level. Would you agree? Very exciting if he can come of age this year. But think I remember you/someone saying he had no-one of note playing on him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He had Hartigan and Frost in the first half, rag-dolled Hartigan at one stage, and in the second half it seems he had Blanck who’s the guy I’d like us to take with our open spot.

It’s the way he’s attacking the ball, and the confidence he seems to have that’s the difference.

Lewis playing with the confidence with Kosi and McEvoy up forward with him along with Gunston is incredibly exciting. Imagine Breust, Moore and Brockman taking advantage of defensive units that have to contend with multiple tall targets. If we can get the delivery right - this could be a lot of fun to watch.

Lewis playing with the confidence with Kosi and McEvoy up forward with him along with Gunston is incredibly exciting. Imagine Breust, Moore and Brockman taking advantage of defensive units that have to contend with multiple tall targets. If we can get the delivery right - this could be a lot of fun to watch.
Then throw in Chad.

He had Hartigan and Frost in the first half, rag-dolled Hartigan at one stage, and in the second half it seems he had Blanck who’s the guy I’d like us to take with our open spot.

It’s the way he’s attacking the ball, and the confidence he seems to have that’s the difference.
It isn't going to matter who is on him if he gets a run and leap at the ball on the lead. He is a giant and giants don't get spoiled except by illegal scragging by Richmond defenders ;)

I actually thought Lewis was having a pretty decent season last year, right up to the moment he got knocked into next week in that infamous 🥊 incident by Kozzi.

I felt in 2021 he was getting to a lot more contests and his marking had gone up a other level.

2022 could be a big season for Mitch, I have always felt he had the required natural ability to make it.

Adduci ? He was #51 in Box Hill last year.

I watched the clubs highlights from yesterdays intraclub. Was pleasantly surprised/a little shocked by the speed of Newcombe - his first few steps are genuinely quick. We now have a genuine midfield bull who is already one of the best tacklers in the league, can play forward, can kick 50+ metres and is an absolute animal in contested situations. Jai seems to be the re-incarnation of Max Rooke, and hopefully a more improved version, even looks like him

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back