Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Just put both him and Newcombe in the centre bounce. The opposition will be frightened to win it
There is a lot of truth to this. While the opposition always respect the ball winning of omeara and Mitchell, our midfield has not elicited the kind of panic you need to force mistakes from opposition mids. Enter Newcombe and Nash last year and we started to see them panic under that intense pressure and it create opportunities for our midfield to clear the ball more cleanly and effectively.

Are you calling Newcombe a 7 game, 2nd year player a modern day Leigh Matthews?

Some of these comments are so laughable. Same goes for the hype about Nash in here.

Played 2 half reasonable games proceeded by 20+ games where he was as useless as you can be on a AFL field.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why you on here again mate? If all you're after is a post season breakdown of actual recorded results by our players for premiership points over the 22 rounds, maybe start a thread on October 2nd or some such - you know, after we've won the cup.:thumbsupv1:

Fortunately for me I've lived long enough to have watched a good portion of Leigh's playing career.
In 47 years actively watching the team, I've never seen a kid arrive at the Club mid season from the second tier, having only had a run with that lower team for a few games - AFTER being called to come down for a run from country footy - AFTER being passed over in the National draft and subsequent rookie draft as an 18 year old, only to look like a dead set player from game one without a single professional pre season.
IN FACT, I CAN'T REMEMBER IT HAPPENING AT ANY OTHER CLUB.

Oh, and then for him to be good enough to stand out amongst all his teammates through multiple match sim sessions and considered near best afield as we prepare for the 2022 season. After only a few weeks upon recovering from Covid I believe.......IN HIS FIRST PROFESSIONAL PRE-SEASON!

Yeh nah, he must just be a lucky kid in a rich vein of form who will wilt to bog average or worse once the big ole mean AFL opposition teams test him.:rolleyesv1:

Of course I was making a visual comparison I find striking, NOT a comparison of career results. Newk's built like a brick shithouse, popeye forearms, carries a mo, runs through the midfield and arches the back just like Lethal did his first half dozen years, is a physical confrontation no player in the league is going to enjoy meeting, and has seeming unlimitted self belief.
Hodgey is a legend. Never once did I get the feeling watching his playing style that he looked like Matthews - excepting his courage perhaps.
Platts is my choice for best ever on-baller at the Club. Never once did he resemble the greatest number 3 the game has seen.
You may not see anything to jibe with the feeling I get, that's fine. Perhaps keep the sooking to yourself though over others conceptions?

Lets see where he goes shall we, but for the purposes of a pre-season thread it must really roil your head to having glowing and optimistic expectations being posted....so perhaps you should stick to the 'where are they now' thread where you can enjoy all the failed promise shown by prospects past and luxuriate therein.:thumbsu:

Last edited:

There is a lot of truth to this. While the opposition always respect the ball winning of omeara and Mitchell, our midfield has not elicited the kind of panic you need to force mistakes from opposition mids. Enter Newcombe and Nash last year and we started to see them panic under that intense pressure and it create opportunities for our midfield to clear the ball more cleanly and effectively.
Think they should both be playing so at least 1 is in there at all times. The problem with that is it mean one of O'Meara or Mitchell don't play mid as it seems they are going to get Worpel every shot. So the other slot gets rotated between O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard which isn't a great use of them either, with potentially Ward and MacDonald looking to get in there

Think they should both be playing so at least 1 is in there at all times. The problem with that is it mean one of O'Meara or Mitchell don't play mid as it seems they are going to get Worpel every shot. So the other slot gets rotated between O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard which isn't a great use of them either, with potentially Ward and MacDonald looking to get in there
I’d love to use omeara as a game breaker rolls Royce instead of a grunt midfielder who needs to lead all the pressure activity. Play him as a high half forward with runs through the middle. Save his best efforts for late in the quarter and when we need to change momentum etc. not sure if that is the plan but I think we would get most out of him doing that. Mitchell can also prosper off of the hff.

Just put both him and Newcombe in the centre bounce. The opposition will be frightened to win it
You’ve been reading too many North Melbourne posts. 😂😂

Thanks for the responses - I get what everyone is saying and I agree.

However, I would like to mention that I don't necessarily think that the 'point of preseason' is to pump our players up so much as to be unrealistic.

I come here for genuine updates and realistic insights - not just unbridled positivity.

Though I have no problem with those who are seeking the "training the house down" and "guaranteed superstar" posts.

Together it forms a healthy, inclusive mix.

I’d love to use omeara as a game breaker rolls Royce instead of a grunt midfielder who needs to lead all the pressure activity. Play him as a high half forward with runs through the middle. Save his best efforts for late in the quarter and when we need to change momentum etc. not sure if that is the plan but I think we would get most out of him doing that. Mitchell can also prosper off of the hff.
This then leads to the problem of pushing Moore and possibly Gunston from their best position.

I will be interested to see how Mitchell makes this all work

Thanks for the responses - I get what everyone is saying and I agree.

However, I would like to mention that I don't necessarily think that the 'point of preseason' is to pump our players up so much as to be unrealistic.

I come here for genuine updates and realistic insights - not just unbridled positivity.

Though I have no problem with those who are seeking the "training the house down" and "guaranteed superstar" posts.

Together it forms a healthy, inclusive mix.
I think you're missing the point of the criticism of the original post.
That post wasn't so much a commentary on the players, so much as it was a commentary on other posters.
Not every post on here is gratuitously positive, and I agree that having a mix of positivity and constructive messages around expectations on players is important, but bEnJi didn't do either of those things.

Why you on here again mate? If all you're after is a post season breakdown of actual recorded results by our players for premiership points over the 22 rounds, maybe start a thread on October 2nd or some such - you know, after we've won the cup.:thumbsupv1:

Fortunately for me I've lived long enough to have watched a good portion of Leigh's playing career.
In 47 years actively watching the team, I've never seen a kid arrive at the Club mid season from the second tier, having only had a run with that lower team for a few games - AFTER being called to come down for a run from country footy - AFTER being passed over in the National draft and subsequent rookie draft as an 18 year old, only to look like a dead set player from game one without a single professional pre season.
IN FACT, I CAN'T REMEMBER IT HAPPENING AT ANY OTHER CLUB.

Oh, and then for him to be good enough to stand out amongst all his teammates through multiple match sim sessions and considered near best afield as we prepare for the 2022 season. After only a few weeks upon recovering from Covid I believe.......IN HIS FIRST PROFESSIONAL PRE-SEASON!

Yeh nah, he's must just be a lucky kid in a rich vein of form who will wilt to bog average or worse once the big ole mean AFL opposition teams test him.:rolleyesv1:

Of course I was making a visual comparison I find striking, NOT a comparison of career results. Newk's built like a brick shithouse, popeye forearms, carries a mo, runs through the midfield and arches the back just like Lethal did his first half dozen years, is a physical confrontation no player in the league is going to enjoy meeting, and has seeming unlimitted self belief.
Hodgey is a legend. Never once did I get the feeling watching his playing style that he looked like Matthews - excepting his courage perhaps.
Platts is my choice for best ever on-baller at the Club. Never once did he resemble the greatest number 3 the game has seen.
You may not see anything to jibe with the feeling I get, that's fine. Perhaps keep the sooking to yourself though over others conceptions?

Lets see where he goes shall we, but for the purposes of a pre-season thread it must really roil your head to having glowing and optimistic expectations being posted....so perhaps you should stick to the 'where are they now' thread where you can enjoy all the failed promise shown by prospects past and luxuriate therein.:thumbsu:
Duke is the chosen one - confirmed

Mitchell was hailed as a guru at west coast. They had 10 players they moved in and out of that centre bounce and never let the opposition settle. Mitchell O’meara and Worpel will need to fire or will be moved to a flank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly it. It's one thing to hate losing a contest to a talented clearance player. It's an entirely other thing to lose a contest and get a bruised body and ego from a player that's looking to hurt you.

It's a mental edge we've missed since the days of Hodge, Lewis and Sewell lining up at the stoppages.

Sneaky chance for the Coleman if he stays fit. If our ball movement forward is quicker than previous years I expect he will be the target for the majority of entries. With McEvoy/Reeves/Lynch, Gunston and/or Kosi around the opposition can't afford to double team or otherwise put too much focus on him.

Sneaky chance for the Coleman if he stays fit. If our ball movement forward is quicker than previous years I expect he will be the target for the majority of entries. With McEvoy/Reeves/Lynch, Gunston and/or Kosi around the opposition can't afford to double team or otherwise put too much focus on him.

Our ball movement could not be any slower or boring the past couple of years.

Our ball movement could not be any slower or boring the past couple of years.
Back half of last year was better but it could still be improved a lot. Only 4 scores over 100 in the last 3 years and only the Adelaide game last year was not in the last 2 rounds of the season. We haven't really given our forwards a chance

Last edited:
If Gunston stays on park, he is going to be biggest asset for young forwards specially for Lewis/Kosi and can be our on field forward coach.

If Gunston stays on park, he is going to be biggest asset for young forwards specially for Lewis/Kosi and can be our on field forward coach.
McEvoy too.

For most of 2021 Kosi and Lewis were forced to lead the forward line with very little support apart from Timmy O(who also went back), and Bigboy once Reeves debuted.

This year they get the support of Gunner and BigBoy, which should see them develop quite well.

Scrimshaw said Day has had a setback, anyone got any info?

It’s supposedly general soreness, from scaling up the running program so they’ve dialed him back before they ramp up again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back