Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the exciting prospects is that we have a wave of competent midfielders pressing for selection this season; Newcombe, Ward, McDonald, Maginness, Downie, Nash. From memory, it's rare to have so many in contention, and exciting ones to boot.

Would be great if we had a midfield like the dogs and bat so deep with strong midfielders. It would be even better the our 3peat midfield.

Would be great if we had a midfield like the dogs and bat so deep with strong midfielders. It would be even better the our 3peat midfield.

Big ask - Mitchell and Hodge will probably go down as two of Hawthorn's best of all time. Once you add in Lewis, Sewell, Rioli, Roughead, Smith, Hill, Burgoyne who could all rotate through the middle, you start to realise how deep a team needs to bat in order to reach the pinnacle.

Last edited:
I will be keeping a close eye on Ward and MacDonald to see who is more ready to play in Rd 1. I doubt both will play. I will be also be paying close attention to DGB. I would like him to replace Hartigan but I am not confident that is possible. Finally, I want to see where Nash is at, given his delayed pre-season.
Yep Ward is the big watch for me. If he can come in and do what he has done in the U18s it is a piece of the puzzle solved for the midfield.

Really excited to see who emerges out of Downie Morris McDonald Saunders Magginess. Got high hopes for Brockman too reckon he is class.

That was Cal Porter (edit: I'm 95% sure - otherwise it was Ed Phillips!)

Other Box Hill player in the highlights at full forward for Brown without a number was Lachy Wynd. (Son of early 90s U19 & Reserves Hawk Stuart Wynd)

51 Gold was Mitchell Sruk

55 Gold was James Blanck

56 Brown was Jaylon Thorpe

Does anyone know if we are seriously considering any of these young men for our final list spot?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Development, development, development.

Ward. Macdonald. Newcombe. Maginness.

If these 4 specifically can come on swiftly and large then our future is glorious.

Chuck in big Nashy and we are pigs rolling in it.
Yep. But also need to be pragmatic on how much they’ll impact in 2022. Most guys take a few seasons at least to be reliable contributors and even top end draft picks often only play 10-15 games (or less) in their first season. Even Jai has only played 7 games - you’d generally say he needs another season or two and Nash has really only played a handful of games in midfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if we look very underwhelming at times during the year. I’m hoping for a season where we start to see glimpses of something special coming together, particularly in the midfield (like in the seasons up to 2008).

Yep. But also need to be pragmatic on how much they’ll impact in 2022. Most guys take a few seasons at least to be reliable contributors and even top end draft picks often only play 10-15 games (or less) in their first season. Even Jai has only played 7 games - you’d generally say he needs another season or two and Nash has really only played a handful of games in midfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if we look very underwhelming at times during the year. I’m hoping for a season where we start to see glimpses of something special coming together, particularly in the midfield (like in the seasons up to 2008).
I agree that the midfield is a work in progress but I think we will see dividends earlier rather than later because we have some experienced quality there already and we saw towards the end of the year what a difference Nash and Newcombe made. The forward setup and forward entries is the other area that needs a fair bit of work. Breust, Wingard Gunston and Moore provide a very good start but we need some development from our young talls and McEvoy has to learn how to play as a regular forward. If we can get that right, we will be well set to challenge to top 8 next year.

Jaylon Thorpe where has come from and was this his first hit out with the Senior team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile appThorpe
Thorpe isn’t on the radar for a Hawthorn list spot. He will be 28 this year and has come over from Williamstown to provide a developed body, leadership and some experience to the young Box Hill squad.

Jai was picked up in the midseason draft. No preseason, and played 60% of games. Fair effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the HUN.

Hawthorn veteran Jack Gunston is building his fitness as he eyes an AFL return after a crippling back injury limited him to just a single game last year.
Gunston impressed in an intra-club match at Waverley Park on Thursday morning, primarily playing as a key forward.
The 30-year-old kicked a goal from a set shot outside 50m, took a few marks and appeared to move well around the ground in pleasing signs.
However, the Hawks’ coaching staff are yet to determine just what role the swingman will have in the side this year, having used Gunston at both ends of the ground in recent times.
“We’d like him to find his feet a bit,” Hawthorn assistant coach Chris Newman said.
“He’s one player who’s missed a lot of football, so we’ll put him in the position where we feel like he’s going to find his best form going into the year. We’re still working through what it looks like in terms of his role in the team, but that was the probably the most I’ve seen him train in terms of a block and I think he got through okay so that’s a good sign.”
The news on the injury front was not so good for crafty forward Luke Bruest, who suffered a suspected concussion during the first quarter of the match.
Breust was crunched in a marking contest and gingerly got to his feet, before being assessed by medical staff and taken out of the game.
Breust will enter AFL concussion protocols, sidelining him for at least the next 12 days and therefore ruling him out of a practice match against Collingwood in Morwell next Friday.
Silky midfielder-forward Chad Wingard (ankle) did some boxing on the boundary line during the intra-club match but remains hopeful of lining up against the Magpies.
“He’s trying to take it slow with his progression but he’s got it to the point now where we’re confident to get him back into some drills,” Newman said of Wingard.
“We’ll see how it goes next week but we certainly won’t be taking any risks at this time of year.”

THE STANDOUTS​

The usual suspects had good games.
Tom Mitchell found plenty of the footy through the midfield, as did James Worpel.
Blake Hardwick and James Sicily were excellent down back and Dylan Moore was lively up forward.
Last year’s mid-season draftee, Jai Newcombe, looks set to take his game up another level this year after a good match on a wing and through the midfield.
Harry Morrison added some class on the outside all day, while Finn Maginness was hard-at-it in the contest.
Jacob Koschitzke and Mitch Lewis both had a presence as marking targets in attack.

MOVING THE MAGNETS

After Jonathon Ceglar’s departure to Geelong during last year’s trade period, the No. 1 ruck role is up for grabs.
A pair of developing 23-year-old’s are battling it out for that position, being Ned Reeves and Max Lynch.
The pair – who have played five and three AFL games respectively – went head-to-head in the ruck throughout the intra-club match.
Reeves had the better of the hit-outs but Lynch’s follow-up work caught the eye.
Sicily’s return from injury in defence will help free up Ben McEvoy and Gunston to spend more time forward this year.
Gunston is building his workload significantly after managing just one AFL game last year due to ongoing back issues.

RECRUIT, DRAFT WATCH

Last year’s No. 7 draft pick Josh Ward again impressed in Thursday’s intra-club clash and is on track for an early-season debut.
Ward was used primarily as an onballer for one team, alongside Tom Mitchell and James Worpel.
He also had some rotations onto a wing.
The Northern Knights product can run all day, is composed and clean by hand and foot and showed some good follow-up work.
Rookie draftee Ned Long also had some nice moments through the midfield and as a half-forward, including a long goal from 50m.
Collingwood recruit Lynch looks like being a player of the future in the ruck.

From the HUN.

Hawthorn veteran Jack Gunston is building his fitness as he eyes an AFL return after a crippling back injury limited him to just a single game last year.
Gunston impressed in an intra-club match at Waverley Park on Thursday morning, primarily playing as a key forward.
The 30-year-old kicked a goal from a set shot outside 50m, took a few marks and appeared to move well around the ground in pleasing signs.
However, the Hawks’ coaching staff are yet to determine just what role the swingman will have in the side this year, having used Gunston at both ends of the ground in recent times.
“We’d like him to find his feet a bit,” Hawthorn assistant coach Chris Newman said.
“He’s one player who’s missed a lot of football, so we’ll put him in the position where we feel like he’s going to find his best form going into the year. We’re still working through what it looks like in terms of his role in the team, but that was the probably the most I’ve seen him train in terms of a block and I think he got through okay so that’s a good sign.”
The news on the injury front was not so good for crafty forward Luke Bruest, who suffered a suspected concussion during the first quarter of the match.
Breust was crunched in a marking contest and gingerly got to his feet, before being assessed by medical staff and taken out of the game.
Breust will enter AFL concussion protocols, sidelining him for at least the next 12 days and therefore ruling him out of a practice match against Collingwood in Morwell next Friday.
Silky midfielder-forward Chad Wingard (ankle) did some boxing on the boundary line during the intra-club match but remains hopeful of lining up against the Magpies.
“He’s trying to take it slow with his progression but he’s got it to the point now where we’re confident to get him back into some drills,” Newman said of Wingard.
“We’ll see how it goes next week but we certainly won’t be taking any risks at this time of year.”

THE STANDOUTS​

The usual suspects had good games.
Tom Mitchell found plenty of the footy through the midfield, as did James Worpel.
Blake Hardwick and James Sicily were excellent down back and Dylan Moore was lively up forward.
Last year’s mid-season draftee, Jai Newcombe, looks set to take his game up another level this year after a good match on a wing and through the midfield.
Harry Morrison added some class on the outside all day, while Finn Maginness was hard-at-it in the contest.
Jacob Koschitzke and Mitch Lewis both had a presence as marking targets in attack.

MOVING THE MAGNETS

After Jonathon Ceglar’s departure to Geelong during last year’s trade period, the No. 1 ruck role is up for grabs.
A pair of developing 23-year-old’s are battling it out for that position, being Ned Reeves and Max Lynch.
The pair – who have played five and three AFL games respectively – went head-to-head in the ruck throughout the intra-club match.
Reeves had the better of the hit-outs but Lynch’s follow-up work caught the eye.
Sicily’s return from injury in defence will help free up Ben McEvoy and Gunston to spend more time forward this year.
Gunston is building his workload significantly after managing just one AFL game last year due to ongoing back issues.

RECRUIT, DRAFT WATCH

Last year’s No. 7 draft pick Josh Ward again impressed in Thursday’s intra-club clash and is on track for an early-season debut.
Ward was used primarily as an onballer for one team, alongside Tom Mitchell and James Worpel.
He also had some rotations onto a wing.
The Northern Knights product can run all day, is composed and clean by hand and foot and showed some good follow-up work.
Rookie draftee Ned Long also had some nice moments through the midfield and as a half-forward, including a long goal from 50m.
Collingwood recruit Lynch looks like being a player of the future in the ruck.

Connor Macdonald already being underrated by the media I see.

Essendon and North have both posted their full intra club matches onto YouTube. I doubt we will, but I really hope we do as well.
What we've done in the last week is match sim, not intra club.

The intra club had some ground level footage, which was shared, but the only other camera there was the drone up in the air which they use to identify running patterns and review the gameplay and plans - so they won't be releasing that.

In regards to sharing insights and knowledge with their supporters via social media channels, the HFC are coming from a very low base.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Summer Footy Fix - 2022 training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back