News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

ticked off about their NSW allocation :madv1:

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I haven't got into AFLW yet because there is no Swans team to support.
Looking forward to two teams to support!!
Will support them , but it gets too much publicity for such a standard . It has to start somewhere . Knowing what goes on at a local level , there will be so many girls changing clubs. Enough said

Will support them , but it gets too much publicity for such a standard . It has to start somewhere . Knowing what goes on at a local level , there will be so many girls changing clubs. Enough said

I agree that the standard of footy doesn't match the amount of hype it gets. But I reckon we're pretty lucky that the very formative years of the AFLW competition have happened in our lifetime and we get to see it. I know I've often wondered about what it would've been like to be there in 1859 watching the first version of the men's competition.

I agree that the standard of footy doesn't match the amount of hype it gets. But I reckon we're pretty lucky that the very formative years of the AFLW competition have happened in our lifetime and we get to see it. I know I've often wondered about what it would've been like to be there in 1859 watching the first version of the men's competition.
I missed out by 37 seasons. But as you say the standard is terrible for the publicity it gets. But in a few years with so many girls playing juniors it will improve , not with duds like Mona Hope

Thanks Kiama Chris
Here's the link;

Great to see that JPK will be honoured next year when he breaks the records for clearances and contested possessions but Joel Selwood holds a record which will never ever be surpassed. Winning free kicks.
He became the highest free kick winner way back in 2016. Most of the top 20 at that time have long since retired. It will be amazing if anyone gets within 200 of Selwood's total of free kicks.
Not a stat to be proud of!

Nowhere near enough love for this!

I believe Josh's name should be held in the same regard as Goodes, Kelly and Skilton. We have been blessed to have such a phenomenal player wear the red and white and the day he retires will be, for me anyway, the saddest day in my time as a Swans fan
Skilton is head and shoulders the best Swan to ever wear the red and white jumper.

I reckon there will be some women who will be at a standard that we will like to see.
Takes heros to inspire others.
Looking forward to the heroes of the Swans girls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see that JPK will be honoured next year when he breaks the records for clearances and contested possessions but Joel Selwood holds a record which will never ever be surpassed. Winning free kicks.
He became the highest free kick winner way back in 2016. Most of the top 20 at that time have long since retired. It will be amazing if anyone gets within 200 of Selwood's total of free kicks.
Not a stat to be proud of!
Post of the off season

Great tweet from Kieran Jack with a bunch of Swans having lunch at a pub somewhere . Terrific picture with Goodsey down the back , LRT etc . If someone can get it up would be good and see if someone can name them.
The Espy in St. Kilda has a few past players in attendance this afternoon as well .

Great tweet from Kieran Jack with a bunch of Swans having lunch at a pub somewhere . Terrific picture with Goodsey down the back , LRT etc . If someone can get it up would be good and see if someone can name them.
The Espy in St. Kilda has a few past players in attendance this afternoon as well .

Great get bedford & SwansProudly!!

I hate Eddy!! and if Ive said anything that makes me like that person, please pick me up on it and Ill offer my deepest apologies.
If what your'e saying is true and 'ambassadorial' money is used to pay player contracts, (I'm not pretending to know better), then its kind of beside the point.
When Buddys contract was worked out, considered and offered to Buddy..
- The salary cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money).. this applied to all clubs
- Swans cap was approx $13m, + approx $1m (ambassadorial money) + approx $1.3m COLA
According to Andrew Ireland, Cola was taken away straight after Buddy signed. Thats $1.3m less in our cap each year. This loss of money which was budgeted to pay all contracts signed at the time is still impacting the Swans cap today. All 3 buckets of money were spread out to pay the playing list, now theres only two buckets.

But, you're correct in saying Buddy didn't receive a lot ,, He received Zero Cola, and therefore the Swans had to find that money elsewhere.
COLA was directly administered by the AFL. Paid to the players. Each player got COLA Allowance. When Lance's contract was signed the AFL went ballistic because their pet project did not get him. They took COLAaway, stopped Swans from trading and then when the new cap allowances were negotiated played hardball. It took a long time after the AFL Media contract was signed to make the new cap deal.

This was directly linked to the Buddy deal and to stop this in the future. But ultimately led to several clubs having cap issues, even before COVID. Since COVID it has only gotten worse. Many of the clubs are struggling to contain the tiny cap.

Since COVID clubs are still having to increase salaries of top to medium performers at their club every time their contracts come up for renewal. Since the AFL dropped all salaries by about 10%, the cap by about 10%, you would think the clubs and players would all be on the 10% train. But that isn't the case. In fact top performers are getting huge increases and this puts pressure on the salary caps of all clubs. The AFL should increase the salary cap again next season back to $14.7 mil. Take the example of Dawson. Probably on about $300,00-400,000. But now reputed to be on about $650,000. With players, such as Lloyd, Parker, Heeney, Mills, Bud, Paps etc and emerging stars like Gulden & Co our salary cap will be at bursting point now.

Even when Bud hangs up the boots, because our emerging players will be renewing contracts we will be stretched under the current arrangements. Isaac Heeney comes up for renewal next year. He has got to be worth in the vacinity of $800,000 and that is the starting point of negotiations. Then we have Florent, McInerney, Gulden, Cunningham, Rampe & Lloyd. The AFL has to recognise the clubs are struggling under this reduced cap. There are at least 8 clubs who have identified cap issues. GWS, Swans, Collingwood, Cats, Essendon, Saints, Dees etc have all said they are struggling under the reduced cap. They need to retain players and the reduced cap is making that very difficult.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back