News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

You were told that a former senior coach who was known for attacking play becoming an assistant coach in charge of strategy would work out like this? Whoever your source is, they've definitely got their finger on the pulse!

Yeah but I told his source that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nice discussion on the Swans from ESPN

http://www.espn.com.au/video/clip?id=31123588
liked that it was said, that our ups and downs will be mellowed due to 'The Bloods culture' and the high standards set by our reliable leaders - JPK, Parker, Rampe.. also Buddy and Cunningham.. "such a strong, stable club'
So true.. and the positives of having a quality coaching staff, a quality football department, a quality history, a deep engrained and embraced culture.. are huge

30MAR21: Swans article by Rohan Connnolly/Footyology
I like this bit by Rohan

But what’s been notable during the last couple of finals-less seasons is the sense of relative calm in the club’s supporter base, a supposedly fickle Sydney sporting market and even the notoriously “antsy” Sydney sporting media.

Their club has done it so well for so long now they have plenty of confidence that even if their team is indeed down, it won’t remain down for long.

I like this bit by Rohan

But what’s been notable during the last couple of finals-less seasons is the sense of relative calm in the club’s supporter base, a supposedly fickle Sydney sporting market and even the notoriously “antsy” Sydney sporting media.

Their club has done it so well for so long now they have plenty of confidence that even if their team is indeed down, it won’t remain down for long.

I don't think Papley would like being described as an "older hand"

31MAR21: Swans Stats to date/Fox Footy
Some outtakes from On The Couch discussion on Monday night together with some discussion what's changed for the Swans stats

Average points scored: 123 (1st in the AFL)

Average marks inside 50: 19 (1st)

Goals per entry: 30.8% (1st)

Shot at goal accuracy: 60.7% (1st)

It makes a difference actually having a forward line.

Edit: The hype train is definitely pulling out of the station. Leigh Montagna has us as a potential top 4 side. I think I'd like to go back under the radar now.

Last edited:

Edit: The hype train is definitely pulling out of the station. Leigh Montagna has us as a potential top 4 side. I think I'd like to go back under the radar now.

If we beat the Tigers the hype train will hit relativistic velocities, as will the whinging about Academies.

I think all the hype so early on is a great thing for our team. If this group are ever gonna win a flag, being able to handle pressure and expectation is unavoidable. Might as well get them used to it now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little bit confused at the 'dour Swans' tag being brought out again as a contrast with what we are now. We played a pretty attractive brand in 2012 when we won the flag.. And the Buddy years when he was at top flight were pretty attractive too.

I'm a little bit confused at the 'dour Swans' tag being brought out again as a contrast with what we are now. We played a pretty attractive brand in 2012 when we won the flag.. And the Buddy years when he was at top flight were pretty attractive too.

It’s like time didn’t exist between 2005/2006 and 2019. We played some brilliantly attacking and high scoring footy for years at our peak.

It’s like time didn’t exist between 2005/2006 and 2019. We played some brilliantly attacking and high scoring footy for years at our peak.

And even in the article expressing our improvement from last year, we were still the 8th best at transitioning from D50 to F50, which for a bottom 4 team is pretty impressive..

And even in the article expressing our improvement from last year, we were still the 8th best at transitioning from D50 to F50, which for a bottom 4 team is pretty impressive..

Last year we were trying to play attractive football, issue was we didn't quite have the cohesion to pull it off. (Could be due to limited sizes in training groups).

Last year we were trying to play attractive football, issue was we didn't quite have the cohesion to pull it off. (Could be due to limited sizes in training groups).

Which is my point, I don't quite get the gasps of surprise that we're suddenly an attractive team.

Which is my point, I don't quite get the gasps of surprise that we're suddenly an attractive team.

It's more that we are now pulling the attractive style of football off.

Even Florents disposal has improved greatly this year (think this is due to a better structure in the team (thank you Mr Pyke)).

Some outtakes from On The Couch discussion on Monday night together with some discussion what's changed for the Swans stats

David King on Don Pyke;

“This is an off-field acquisition when everyone else in the competition is losing staff and they‘ve gone and got a former senior coach."

polo boy and the midget.jpg

When our own supporters have short term memory loss and are dopey enough to believe we were defensive from 2012 onward, then how do you expect commentators who aren't overly invested in the club to remember. For some reason 2005 is just something that has stuck out in everyone's mind and that's all they remember and associate the club with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back