News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

I've not listened to all of the episode, but Tom thanks the Swans staff for babysitting in his absence from Sydney
just a very impressive human

I may be a bit harsh here, but I feel AFL players are some of the least versatile sportspeople in the world.
Every sport in the world spends extended periods away from home. Cricket months, tennis months, American sports weeks on the road all the time. Basically all sports I can think of. Then we have AFL, who lose there minds about spending more than a week away from family.
Now let's look at jobs around the world, so many work long periods away with little complaint. And this amazingly is when their partners have children. If footballers on their wages can't afford a nanny to help out then they have the worst money advice I've ever seen.
Anyway saying all that the AFL should have had the northern teams families in Melbourne by now if they wanted to go.

I may be a bit harsh here, but I feel AFL players are some of the least versatile sportspeople in the world.
Every sport in the world spends extended periods away from home. Cricket months, tennis months, American sports weeks on the road all the time. Basically all sports I can think of. Then we have AFL, who lose there minds about spending more than a week away from family.
Now let's look at jobs around the world, so many work long periods away with little complaint. And this amazingly is when their partners have children. If footballers on their wages can't afford a nanny to help out then they have the worst money advice I've ever seen.
Anyway saying all that the AFL should have had the northern teams families in Melbourne by now if they wanted to go.

There's an expectation with those sports that you will spend extended time away from family. There's no such expectation with AFL.

11JUL21: Swans & Dogs Rebuilds/AFL Website
Nearly 3. Should have picked Dunkley. At the very worst we would have got our investment back. At best a 200 game central midfielder....

No we wouldn't have. He's clearly got SFA loyalty. A guy desperate to stay in Victoria didn't even want to stick with his Victorian club, what hope did we as an interstate club have? He would've been out the door after two seasons and all we would've got for him were some mid-draft picks in return.

And before I hear the, "we should've taken the chance, backed ourselves in, our culture, blah blah" argument, we saw how that ended up with Elijah Taylor. Using a relatively high pick on a speculative prospect is a risk that's worth it if you have enough selections to compensate for any potential failures. In the case of Taylor, perhaps we felt more willing to take a chance on him as we'd already made selections at pick 5 (Stephens) and pick 26 (Gould), and still had another to follow in pick 39 (Warner). Plenty of high-ish picks to work with.

In the case of Dunkley, we'd used picks 33, 36, 37 and 43 to match Mills at pick 3, and we didn't have another selection until pick 51. So matching the Dunkley bid meant we would've had to either sacrifice Mills earlier in the draft (was never gonna happen), or we would've had to basically use all our later picks, which would've meant our draft ended there at pick 25. And sure, a draft haul of just Mills and Dunkley would've seemed fantastic. Until one of them was traded out and all we had to show for ourselves from the 2015 draft was Mills. Instead we kept those later picks, and one of them turned out to be Dawson.

We had faith in our ability to find late-draft gems and it scored us Dawson and Papley, both of who are now in our top 10 players along with Mills. So the club did back itself in, just not on the player you obviously hoped for, so framing it as a mistake is a mistake.

and the little mummy's boy is back in Melbourne after a year or two anyway. Never wanted to be in Sydney, we were nothing but a back up plan. Why do people keep bringing this sh*t up?

Yep, we were literally his 11th choice. It isn't often we would know the exact ranking we are in the choice of a young player in where to be drafted (outside of Swans supporters who are being drafted) but we were behind every Victorian club and ahead of the other non-Victorian clubs in his rankings. He was always going to go back to Melbourne as soon as he could if we drafted him.

11JUL21: Dogs vs Swans Match Reports/Multiple
Whoohoo!!! Once upon a time we used to be 16th...but 2021 is a shiny new year!!

Last edited:
I just mean, we are in a pandemic, a bit of flexibility for a few years wouldn't hurt them.

It absolutely would hurt them, and their family and personal life. What a heartless thing to say.

It absolutely would hurt them, and their family and personal life. What a heartless thing to say.
Barty last night was asked if she was looking forward to seeing her family. Do you know what she said. "Yeah I should hopefully see them in the next few months!" But AFL players are somehow exempt from sacrifice. Not heartless, just being realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barty last night was asked if she was looking forward to seeing her family. Do you know what she said. "Yeah I should hopefully see them in the next few months!" But AFL players are somehow exempt from sacrifice. Not heartless, just being realistic.

It's already been said that she went overseas knowing she wouldn't see people for a while. She didn't play the French Open last year because she didn't want to spend time away and instead went to the AFL GF. Was that ok with you at the time?

It's already been said that she went overseas knowing she wouldn't see people for a while. She didn't play the French Open last year because she didn't want to spend time away and instead went to the AFL GF. Was that ok with you at the time?
And AFL players also go into hubs knowing it could be longer than anticipated. I went to afghan for ten months instead of 6, my mates were in mine sites in WA for 3 months instead of 2 weeks. It's happening everywhere. So why should they be exempt.
But either way. Let's call a stalemate and enjoy the victory and hope the AFL gets the families to Victoria somehow. I'm not completely heartless

And AFL players also go into hubs knowing it could be longer than anticipated. I went to afghan for ten months instead of 6, my mates were in mine sites in WA for 3 months instead of 2 weeks. It's happening everywhere. So why should they be exempt.
But either way. Let's call a stalemate and enjoy the victory and hope the AFL gets the families to Victoria somehow. I'm not completely heartless

These players didn't, they were given three hours notice and thought it was for a week or two. Even Gladys doesn't know how long it's going to last.

You started off saying you knew it would come across harsh, so you knew the response you were going to get.

These players didn't, they were given three hours notice and thought it was for a week or two. Even Gladys doesn't know how long it's going to last.

You started off saying you knew it would come across harsh, so you knew the response you were going to get.
That's fine, I won't back down against my opinion, but I also think it's ok that people have completely different views. I don't think my opinion was heartless, but as long as you're not attacking me personally then I can live with that.

That's fine, I won't back down against my opinion, but I also think it's ok that people have completely different views. I don't think my opinion was heartless, but as long as you're not attacking me personally then I can live with that.

Don't get so defensive. You offered a clearly controversial opinion, it was commented on. If you don't want to get a response, don't offer it in the first place when you knew the response it would get.

12JUL21: Swans discussion/AFL Website
Discussion on Swans record against the Top 4

Go to 8:07 for discussion & 9:29 – The even spread of Swans’ contributors

Is that one of the few post-game commentary talking about the Swans positives rather than the losing team team bad luck/performances/Naughton out?
Yes. A pleasant change. Barrett also one of the few who has been confident on us all year.

Swans talk with Gary, Time & Kane from the 8:00min mark

Swans talk with Gary, Time & Kane from the 8:00min mark

I didn't think the last few weeks we had been Buddy-centric.
Nice to hear that some Swans families may quarantine at the Gold Coast before travelling onto Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back