News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

We need Warner back and Rowbottom either finding form or fixing whatever injury he is carrying.
I like our cautious approach though. Get them right prior to the finals and have them 100%. No point getting them all back now. We have a relatively easy run home from now on not playing any top 8 sides. Good to get everyone fit and well and in form so we can attack the finals with plenty in reserve.

I like our cautious approach though. Get them right prior to the finals and have them 100%. No point getting them all back now. We have a relatively easy run home from now on not playing any top 8 sides. Good to get everyone fit and well and in form so we can attack the finals with plenty in reserve.
Agree but no game is easy , these teams are going for a final

Suddenly the media punters have pegged us as the premiership dark horse.

The media change this week by week, we are just the current flavour of the month after our last two games.

If we keep up this form sure, but we also have to remember finals are a very different style of game (hopefully we can keep up the pressure and force turnover).

I agree with Kingy. Contesteds and clearances have been our weakness for a couple of years. We're really an inversion of the Roos-Longmire era Swans, weak on the inside great on the outside. That's one reason why Hickey has been so good for us - statistically he's just about our best clearance player. Give it a year or two and we should be one of the stronger clearance sides.

we’ve still got a core of good contested players - Parker, Hickey, Mills & Kennedy are all top 50 in the league for contested possessions and clearances (though none top 10, even if Kennedy isn’t as strong here as he once was). This is on par with most of the other good teams in the league.

The contribution really falls away after that though.

Part of that might be that efficient ball movement on our part reduces the need for our non-followers to take contested possessions.

Good insight into the Swans defensive set-up...

This was a good analytical piece using the video well to demonstrate the points made.
Nothing magical. Essentially accountable man on man defence with occasional assistance. No one able to stand in a zone possie and say "I did MY job" as the oppo kicks for goal.

Ehhhhhh, last two great teams showed how unimportant contested possessions and clearences are.

Our clearances were more effective than Bulldogs, didn't matter that they had way more, they just kicked it to us.

What matters is pressure. Richmond and Hawthorn we're elite at causing turnover and scoring heavily. They won the ball when they could, but they understood that how you win it is more important than how often you win it.

If our pressure is good, I don't care about contested ball/clearances

Ehhhhhh, last two great teams showed how unimportant contested possessions and clearences are.

Our clearances were more effective than Bulldogs, didn't matter that they had way more, they just kicked it to us.

What matters is pressure. Richmond and Hawthorn we're elite at causing turnover and scoring heavily. They won the ball when they could, but they understood that how you win it is more important than how often you win it.

Centre clearances are very important. If we won more centre clearances then we'd be kicking big scores as Buddy/Heeney/Papley 1v1 are elite. We were a bit lucky they didn't have naughton playing, he would've made good use of those centre clearance entries.

Agree, the current game does not put as high a value on contested possessions as we always did. I can give you exhibit A in the upcoming draft, the number 1 contested ball winner by a street in the NAB League is not even in consideration for Vic Metro selection (and has been likened to Josh Kennedy in a recent article) as his game is too contested.....let that sink in for a minute..!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting discussion on SEN today. I dont know who it was but was discussing Don Pyke going to Collingwood. Who ever it was mentioned the fact that we played a hand ball game against West Coast and a kicking game against Bulldogs. Attributed it to Don Pyke. Regardless of his opinion of whether either coach or the players themselves, its good to know our TEAM can switch game styles to suit the occasion.

Their history ffs another 1 OUR HISTORY

FFS it was a word describing as ownership. I’ve always liked you as a poster but now you’re just having a crack at everyone for minor shit. I’m one of the biggest supporters of OUR history even having no reference point living in Brisbane all my life.

FFS it was a word describing as ownership. I’ve always liked you as a poster but now you’re just having a crack at everyone for minor sh*t. I’m one of the biggest supporters of OUR history even having no reference point living in Brisbane all my life.
It us that's all , sorry

It us that's all , sorry

Fair point - I’m not the greatest with words and my punctuation is woeful but believe me I have nothing but respect for the past and those that walked through the turnstiles in Melbourne though tough but fond times for this club.

15JUL21: Bogey Grounds lazybits/AFL Website
8 teams have Kardina as their bogey ground. Shows the Cats dominance in the last 15 years.
There'd probably be more teams but half of them haven't played there for decades....I'm looking at you Bombers 1 game in 28 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back