Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Sad fact of media life. These guys (add in McCartin, Roberts, Wilbur etc etc) all deserve recognition but the media concentrate on the short, snappy bite of the recognisables that they themselves have created. Even deeper analysts like the Mongrel Punt still only scratch the surface. I care like you but maybe I'm older and more cynical. It's what I expect.
I'll probably get shot down in flames for saying this but so be it.
Of all the Swans players I would like to listen to in a presser, Chad is probably the last that I want to see.
He talks so quickly, you can't understand most of what he says and what you can understand is pretty much garbage. On top of that, his English is bloody horrible.

Of all the Swans players I would like to listen to in a presser, Chad is probably the last that I want to see.
He talks so quickly, you can't understand most of what he says and what you can understand is pretty much garbage. On top of that, his English is bloody horrible.
Everyone’s entitled to their own preferences and opinions, but to my ears you’re being quite harsh in your assessment of him. I think his media work has improved (from a low ish base) but I’ve never found him hard to comprehend. He doesn’t say much outside the official club line, but then almost none of them does. Heeney’s the one who seems relaxed enough in front of camera to occasionally say something different, but he mostly stays on script. Errol almost always stays on script but in a more polished way than most of them.

I watched Papley’s interview from last Sunday’s media blitz and was pleasantly surprised by it. He is one that I’ve always thought of as struggling in front of camera but that interview shows a much more articulate version of him than normal. You can also sense a high level of emotion bubbling just under the surface. He seems to be struggling to keep it there (under the surface). But there’s also a maturity and self-awareness there that I’ve not previously attributed to him.

I agree. Having said that, when you are constantly forced to listen to NRL players being interviewed, Chad sounds like the late, great James Earl Jones in comparison!

Here we're discussing having our players being interviewed. I'm actually more interested in hearing/seeing our players being talked about and analysed (in a positive fashion) particularly by credible media figures. Lloyd for instance showed some lovely footage of Papley's goal that started with a Florent mark at CHB, switch to ?? on RHB, long to McInerney at RHF long to Papley in the square with commentary on how this was getting around Port choking the corridor etc. Lloyd was so excited and it was contagious. More of this sort of thing please!

Here we're discussing having our players being interviewed. I'm actually more interested in hearing/seeing our players being talked about and analysed (in a positive fashion) particularly by credible media figures. Lloyd for instance showed some lovely footage of Papley's goal that started with a Florent mark at CHB, switch to ?? on RHB, long to McInerney at RHF long to Papley in the square with commentary on how this was getting around Port choking the corridor etc. Lloyd was so excited and it was contagious. More of this sort of thing please!
I really don't care for most football media as it's very much surface level observations that I could have knocked together myself. I quite enjoy Lloyd, King, Sanderson, Buckley & Cornes discussing our players and our gameplan because they actually take their jobs as analysists of the game seriously and offer insights that aren't obvious to someone like me.

Part of me thinks its basically an in joke about their premiership window thing. Bucks kept going on about it on SEN.
They say that we were 3 goals away from being in the window. So take the ridiculous result against Port Adelaide out of the equation where we lost by 19 goals and change that to a bad loss of 10 goals and we are well and truly in the window.
In fact we would probably be the best placed team.

Last edited:
This is an extract to an article I saw earlier.

The Lions will bring Logan Morris, Jaspa Fletcher, Will Ashcroft, Darcy Wilmot and Kai Lohmann into this decider – all are 21 or under.

The Swans meanwhile have a huge reliance on players 23 and under, including Errol Gulden, Chad Warner, Logan McDonald, Braeden Campbell and Matt Roberts, while James Rowbottom just turned 24.

Sounds very similar to 2022 in my opinion. Will their kids be like bunnies caught in the headlights just as ours were in 2022?

Everyone’s entitled to their own preferences and opinions, but to my ears you’re being quite harsh in your assessment of him. I think his media work has improved (from a low ish base) but I’ve never found him hard to comprehend. He doesn’t say much outside the official club line, but then almost none of them does. Heeney’s the one who seems relaxed enough in front of camera to occasionally say something different, but he mostly stays on script. Errol almost always stays on script but in a more polished way than most of them.

I watched Papley’s interview from last Sunday’s media blitz and was pleasantly surprised by it. He is one that I’ve always thought of as struggling in front of camera but that interview shows a much more articulate version of him than normal. You can also sense a high level of emotion bubbling just under the surface. He seems to be struggling to keep it there (under the surface). But there’s also a maturity and self-awareness there that I’ve not previously attributed to him.
I thought the same thing when I listened to Papley on his racing (?) podcast post the GWS final. While obviously a very different medium, he was much more articulate, thoughtful and open than I’d heard him previously.

ETA: I think Chad comes across as fun and energetic in his interviews. Confident but not arrogant (maybe it’s the hint of cheekiness).

Last edited:
Could On the couch be anymore Brisbane Focused.

Bucks Browny and Lyon all tipped Brisbane

We are always the underdog and I love it
On the Couch is nowhere near the show it used to be. Losing Gerard Healy as compere was a major blow to the show but even moreso was the inclusion of Brown as one of those on the couch. I rate Buckley as an analyst but Brown just wants to waffle on about how important the key forwards are and he'll say anything just so that he can be heard.
It's gone from my favourite footy tv show to one that I'm quite happy to miss.

yeah, i don't give a toss what the media heads are saying or who they're tipping ... it's just a bit annoying that the swans are seemingly being undervalued, seems a bit illogical ... and not at all unexpected
and it's quite amusing that all the big questions are being asked of sydney, when they could just as easily be asked of brisbane
ah well ...
It's almost like we are being undervalued because we beat Port so easily yet Brisbane had a real struggle to get over Geelong. So, had we won by 3 points instead of 36 we'd be more highly though of.
Just defies all the rules of logic.

I think we should get the job done as we had unfortunate multiple in game injuries and were the better team when we lost to them by 2 points in late July. In terms of finishing games off strongly - well we've given nearly every team a head start at quarter time, meaning we should be able to match the Lions strong finish. That said we have unfortunately been soft in our last 3 grand finals pantsed by the Hawks after we finish MP in 2014, lost to a 25 player Doggies team in 2016 and thought the MCG was still under covid restrictions and didn't show up in 2022. I get why the media don't trust us but it is up to the team to put that to bed this weekend.
What happened in 2014 and 2016 are completely irrelevant to what will happen in 2024. They are completely different squads. The one and only common denominator is Horse. Horse is one of a number of coaching personnel who will be involved on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions will bring Logan Morris, Jaspa Fletcher, Will Ashcroft, Darcy Wilmot and Kai Lohmann into this decider – all are 21 or under.

The Swans meanwhile have a huge reliance on players 23 and under, including Errol Gulden, Chad Warner, Logan McDonald, Braeden Campbell and Matt Roberts, while James Rowbottom just turned 24.

Sounds very similar to 2022 in my opinion. Will their kids be like bunnies caught in the headlights just as ours were in 2022?
Wilmot and Fletcher played in a grand final last year, Brisbane nearly pinched it.

Maybe one or two bottle it at times, but can't seem them performing like 2022.

Wilmot and (I think) Fletcher played in last year's GF. So maybe there's less chance of them being overawed. And Ashcroft plays like he's already played 200 games so I can't see the occasion getting to him. The other two? Possibly.

What happened in 2014 and 2016 are completely irrelevant to what will happen in 2024. They are completely different squads. The one and only common denominator is Horse. Horse is one of a number of coaching personnel who will be involved on Saturday.
Sure, We know that and just like first time beating the Giants in Finals and beating Pork Adelaide after 8 losses - one of which I'd venture our AFLW side would have scored more - history doesn't determine a win or loss, but it's not irrelevant to sentiment in tipping and does explain why commentators are picking the Lions. If we are honest some of our losses this year and even some of our wins don't inspire 100% confidence in a win this weekend being a certainty. I think we will win but if the players don't get their heads right from the jump it might not be a good weekend.

Easier said than done as they make themselves so unlikeable to Swans fans... :smirk:

How about they have more talk around no team finishing 5th place has ever won a flag in current top 8 system?
Or no team not finishing top 4 has won (except for the 2016 rort, but that shouldn't count).
It counts.
And we were on the receiving end.
Hence the anxiety over it for many.

Wilmot and Fletcher played in a grand final last year, Brisbane nearly pinched it.

Maybe one or two bottle it at times, but can't seem them performing like 2022.

Agree. It's a gun group of U21's. Might have a quiet-ish game, or part of a game once in a while but none will bottle it.

If we're putting hope in this, we're wasting energy

Wilmot and (I think) Fletcher played in last year's GF. So maybe there's less chance of them being overawed. And Ashcroft plays like he's already played 200 games so I can't see the occasion getting to him. The other two? Possibly.

The other two are cocky little characters, if they crack, it'll be mid game. The other 3 are absolute rock solid

On the Couch is nowhere near the show it used to be. Losing Gerard Healy as compere was a major blow to the show but even moreso was the inclusion of Brown as one of those on the couch. I rate Buckley as an analyst but Brown just wants to waffle on about how important the key forwards are and he'll say anything just so that he can be heard.
Still the best when they don't have Ralph on and Chad was good a couple of weeks ago

I found Nick Riewoldt excellent too. He was a big loss to that show IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back