Preview Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Regardless of the injury, I'm more concerned about his ability to stand up in big games. Was not good at all in 2016 or 2022.

Ok and Parker has been ordinary in 4 grand finals.

Heeney average in grannies?

I think Mills will be fine . But oh well see what happens.

Nah. Morton was a late surprise inclusion during finals. JJ has been there all year and deserves his spot.
I must own up.
When I saw that we traded in JJ I thought who the **** is this guy.
I thought out of Grundy, Adams, Hamling and JJ, that JJ would be surplus to our needs.

HOW WRONG WAS I.

JJ has seamlessly slotted into the side and is an integral and vital part of the team every week. He is indispensable.

Love the JJ.

Ok and Parker has been ordinary in 4 grand finals.

Heeney average in grannies?

I think Mills will be fine . But oh well see what happens.
Heeney has stood up this finals series and Parker has shown his experience at important moments. Mills ****ed up his season, was very rattled and crashing packs in the QF (I don't buy the gastro excuse) and now is under a serious injury cloud (you don't fix a hammy after a week off, no matter how minor). Did we not learn from Sam Reid not to trust player's assessment of whether they're able to play?

I must own up.
When I saw that we traded in JJ I thought who the **** is this guy.
I thought out of Grundy, Adams, Hamling and JJ, that JJ would be surplus to our needs.

HOW WRONG WAS I.

JJ has seamlessly slotted into the side and is an integral and vital part of the team every week. He is indispensable.

Love the JJ.
Plus he's a funny bugger. Saw his name association with Heeney and *Rampe and his answers were sublime. Heeney was 'male fitness model.'

He grew up a swans supporter too. He's one of us.

Last edited:
Would McDonald missing and playing only two tall forwards as opposed to three completely screw up our structure?

Have we played only two tall forwards in any other game this year?
Logan is more of a running tall who can roam around the ground than our other key forwards. So I would not want him to be replaced by Ladhams, Francis or Hamling who don't seem as mobile.

I just want Heeney on the ball at all times. Don't want his talents wasted in the forwardline like in 2022 waiting for it. Just rest forward occasionally.
So when he got Drew the other night he would go forward and made himself a target , he won't be in the middle all day

Heeney has stood up this finals series and Parker has shown his experience at important moments. Mills ****ed up his season, was very rattled and crashing packs in the QF (I don't buy the gastro excuse) and now is under a serious injury cloud (you don't fix a hammy after a week off, no matter how minor). Did we not learn from Sam Reid not to trust player's assessment of whether they're able to play?

Hey 100% not suggesting Mills just makes the call himself, but not sure what this downplaying how good a player he is ?
But talking up everyone else

Anyway see what happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker has been crap so he shouldn't be our main player.

Heeney was handicapped in the forwardline.

Just saying technically Heeney hasn't lit up grand final day (yet) Mills was in his first year in 16 and he was ok in 22 , not sure we can dismiss him as a big game player.

2022 finals was great for 2 weeks and was one of our best in 23 etc.

People don't want to play injured players then I get that. But seems to be a suggestion Mills is basically average anyway which surprises me.

Hey 100% not suggesting Mills just makes the call himself, but not sure what this downplaying how good a player he is ?
But talking up everyone else

Anyway see what happens
I don't think anyone here doubts that he's a good player or not.

He just seems to needlessly get himself into trouble and seems to have a habit of putting himself above the team. At least that's how it seems.

I don't think anyone here doubts that he's a good player or not.

He just seems to needlessly get himself into trouble and seems to have a habit of putting himself above the team. At least that's how it seems.

Yeah wow the captain is a player who puts himself above the team? Doubt it sorry .

Just saying technically Heeney hasn't lit up grand final day (yet) Mills was in his first year in 16 and he was ok in 22 , not sure we can dismiss him as a big game player.

2022 finals was great for 2 weeks and was one of our best in 23 etc.

People don't want to play injured players then I get that. But seems to be a suggestion Mills is basically average anyway which surprises me.
Mills was average this year thus far because he's recovering from injury and gastro is what people are saying. And he's putting himself above team success.

Mills was average this year thus far because he's recovering from injury and gastro is what people are saying. And he's putting himself above team success.
He came back to form and played 2 good games in a row before the gastro , had 27 in the last round , go back and have a look !

Cleary?!?!?!

So a tall goes down and Horse would rather part with the structure he has consistently run with for FOUR YEAR now, than just play another tall?

I... don't hate it?

It'd be a gigantic call but I have been barking on for months about needing more pressure in the front half.

Hopefully it's one we don't have to make. McDonald deserves to be there on Saturday, has had a good year and our structures looked good, minus my pressure qualm.

What it does suggest is that we need to target a decent key forward over the off-season somehow.
I don't hate it either, especially if there is no obvious tall to replace him. But, as much as I've admired Cleary's early efforts, surely you'd go with Adams, not least as he's a readymade replacement if we lost a mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back