Preview Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Just saying technically Heeney hasn't lit up grand final day (yet) Mills was in his first year in 16 and he was ok in 22 , not sure we can dismiss him as a big game player.

2022 finals was great for 2 weeks and was one of our best in 23 etc.

People don't want to play injured players then I get that. But seems to be a suggestion Mills is basically average anyway which surprises me.
Heeney was playing forward in '22 and Mills was in the midfield as they were getting pantsed and barely put up a whimper. He's a good player which makes his inability to stand up in big games very frustrating. Definitely not a JPK. That history + no preseason + self inflicted injury + hamstring injury + one (poor) game of footy in a month. Why needlessly roll the dice when we have the troops without those question marks to get the job done?

Look if he proves himself fully fit, fine, play him. If he tweeks his hamstring in the first quarter I'll hate him forever.

You want us to win I get it.

Just glad we all talk shit on here and don't have to pick the team 😂

Heeney was playing forward in '22 and Mills was in the midfield as they were getting pantsed and barely put up a whimper. He's a good player which makes his inability to stand up in big games very frustrating. Definitely not a JPK. That history + no preseason + self inflicted injury + hamstring injury + one (poor) game of footy in a month. Why needlessly roll the dice when we have the troops without those question marks to get the job done?

I don't think he was poor in the first final so we disagree on that.

I don't agree he can't stand up in big games at all, so I guess we just have different views of his value that's all.

But if I felt he was the player you think he is then yeah why bother .

I like his leadership especially if he is down back against a side that has a lot of mid sized goal scorers.

I don't think he was poor in the first final so we disagree on that.

I don't agree he can't stand up in big games at all, so I guess we just have different views of his value that's all.

But if I felt he was the player you think he is then yeah why bother .

I like his leadership especially if he is down back against a side that has a lot of mid sized goal scorers.
No one will be happier than me if he comes in and proves me wrong, believe me.

I don't know why we talk about players not standing up in our grand finals. Going back over our last three you could count the players that 'stood up' in those grand finals for us on one hand - JPK, Goodes, Malceski, Mitchell, Fox.

There's just no point hanging any one individual for it when it's been such a team-wide issue for many years. One that is hopefully corrected this week.

The big O is a big out anyone rate Darcy forte
He's a decent enough back up. Doubt he is good enough to get it done for a season but could play the game of his life and be one of the big stories of the GF. Plus Brody's form worries me. Seems to be a clear tactic to scrag and wrestle him in the ruck and he just doesn't seem to be coping. Fort is big and experienced enough to do that (and I'm sure he will). Grundy should though have his measure around the park.

Not putting the mozz on us here.

But after thinking on it all day if this was a regular season match I would be super confident.

They are traveling for their third week running, have had two tough games, a shorter break and have likely lost their main ruckman with Neale also playing injured.

This season we had then toast before injuries completely fried us (down to 1 on bench and Haywood on the ground with 1 leg).

Yes their team is terrifying, but if we turn up we should be getting this we just need to ensure we play well on the day and don't get blown out early on.

He's a decent enough back up. Doubt he is good enough to get it done for a season but could play the game of his life and be one of the big stories of the GF. Plus Brody's form worries me. Seems to be a clear tactic to scrag and wrestle him in the ruck and he just doesn't seem to be coping. Fort is big and experienced enough to do that (and I'm sure he will). Grundy should though have his measure around the park.
Wish Grundy would jump and smack it out a bit more rather than wrestling and tapping it to his feet. Really suits our faster midfield to get the ball going our way in space. Lloyd's goal in the QF was a perfect example.

Wish Grundy would jump and smack it out a bit more rather than wrestling and tapping it to his feet. Really suits our faster midfield to get the ball going our way in space. Lloyd's goal in the QF was a perfect example.
It doesn't work that way , ask Cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy just needs to scrap hard and tackle at ground level I love that side of him …then run forte off his feet the more they gotta play Daniher in the ruck the better he was good in there yesty but hard to kick clutch goals from the centre circle

I don't know why we talk about players not standing up in our grand finals. Going back over our last three you could count the players that 'stood up' in those grand finals for us on one hand - JPK, Goodes, Malceski, Mitchell, Fox.

There's just no point hanging any one individual for it when it's been such a team-wide issue for many years. One that is hopefully corrected this week.
Buddy played a largely lone hand in 2014. I was there and I cannot erase the pain of that game from my mind.

It is a team game. Shit sometimes happens and no matter what you do you cannot stem the tide.

I saw the TEAM play on the weekend. We played kick and lead up most of the game. I love our kick and lead up style of play. I think Brisbane play a similar style. I think we have better players. So we will do it better.

Class will win out on the day.

If Brisbane don't stop the big 4- Heeney, Gulden, Warner and Rowbottom they won't get near it.

If those four first and Grundy then even one of us could play in defence and win :p

Buddy played a largely lone hand in 2014. I was there and I cannot erase the pain of that game from my mind.

It is a team game. Shit sometimes happens and no matter what you do you cannot stem the tide.

I saw the TEAM play on the weekend. We played kick and lead up most of the game. I love our kick and lead up style of play. I think Brisbane play a similar style. I think we have better players. So we will do it better.

Class will win out on the day.
I thought Goodes & Malceski were also great that day to be fair. But yeah it just speaks to your point - if getting good games out of Buddy, Goodes & Malceski of all players can't save us from a 63 point demolition, it just goes to show how much of a team effort is needed.

On the weekend I don't know if any player had a game that was above an 8.5/9 out of 10. But a helluva lot had games that were in that same range. We will be incredibly hard to stop if we get that level of contributions on Saturday.

I thought Goodes & Malceski were also great that day to be fair. But yeah it just speaks to your point - if getting good games out of Buddy, Goodes & Malceski of all players can't save us from a 63 point demolition, it just goes to show how much of a team effort is needed.

On the weekend I don't know if any player had a game that was above an 8.5/9 out of 10. But a helluva lot had games that were in that same range. We will be incredibly hard to stop if we get that level of contributions on Saturday.

Yep , Fox as sub aside I don't think anyone didn't get a pass on Friday night to your point. Very even

Few people on main board saying we may fold if Brisbane run us down Tigers style...

Don't thing they understand the Swans have made a habit of wearing their opponents down all season and winning? It's essentially been our mantra in 2024.

Elimination final GWS: Down by over 4 goals, chased down the win
Round 23: Down at half time on Essendon
Round 22: Down by I think it was 28 points late on Collingwood, chased them down to win.
Round 16: 4 goals down on Freo, lost by a point (bad finishing hurt us here)
Round 14: Down by nearly 30 on Adelaide, won by 42
Round 13: Down by over 6 goals on Geelong, won by 30
Round 10: Down by nearly 30 on Carlton, won by 52
Round 8: Down by 20 on GWS, won by 29

Honestly think the teams maturity and don't say die attitude has been the big aspect of our group this year.

I agree. We have class all across the park. I am glad McInerney is back. He was a missing piece. Love his run. He is damaging and impacts games.

We are full strength. We went through that difficult period late in the season. I reckon the training loads were upp'ed and the results didn't go our way. But we are now fit as. We ran out our game against the GWS. We were in cruise mode against Port who didn't have the class and had 2 bruising games leading into ours.

Brisbane have played every game and have played two bruising games leading into the GF. The loss of the big O is huge. Hopefully Grundy and the midfield can take advantage of this and gives us first use. That, together with our turnover scoring and I predict a comfortable lead by halftime. A desperate Brisbane with tired legs and a Sydney with run in their legs + our class and it will be all over red rover by 3 quarter time.

It is OUR time this time. Time for Sydney to be the most feared team in the AFL. We need to demonstrate this on Saturday.

In 2022 we fell over the line both physically and emotionally in the prelim.

Really can’t compare that to this year where we won easing down with plenty in the tank.

If anything, the Lions would have spent all their petrol tickets these past 2 weeks.

A lot is said about between the ears / mentality but the mind can’t make the body

Oh whatever.

What Rusty rustycrate just said!!!

If anything, the Lions would have spent all their petrol tickets these past 2 weeks.
I agree. But then I remember thinking the same thing about the bulldogs in 2016 where they fell over the line against GWS and it looked like they played their Grand Final. We need to be cautious, especially since Brisbane seem to be on top of the free kick ladder.

I agree. But then I remember thinking the same thing about the bulldogs in 2016 where they fell over the line against GWS and it looked like they played their Grand Final. We need to be cautious, especially since Brisbane seem to be on top of the free kick ladder.

Yep Brisbane lose they are out of tickets, but just as easily see them rolling on with the momentum.

They are a good fit side and will be ready to go

Yep - at the start of the year I said my only concern was scripted umpiring and we face the free kick leaders next week. That being said, we should also be cautious playing underdone or injured players like we did in spades in 2016 which also didn’t help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Sydney Swans / South Melbourne Bloods vs Brisbane Bears/ Fitzroy Lions - The Big Dance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back