Sydney Swans v GWS Giants - Qualifying Final, 2016 - Saturday 3:20 @ANZ Stadium

Who will win - Sydney or GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You have a speech impediment? It is pronounced "three", not "free". Sleep well with your 2 in 50+ years.

I asked you if he would be your coach next year, not if he'd be playing in the legends game.

Haha clever one, I'll admit that

nighty night

Buddy left because he was offered millions for 9 years. Who wouldn't leave for that type of job security. We all would. He's already won premierships.

Obviously it's every AFL footballers goal to play in flags, but i think it's been pretty well documented that Bud didn't leave to play in flags lol. It was all about moving to Sydney the city, not Sydney the club.

Sure, I get that Buddy wanted to move to Sydney for lifestyle reasons and that the money was too good to refuse. However at the press conference in Sydney on October 8, 2013, where he committed to Sydney:

Franklin denied that he had "mucked around" with Greater Western Sydney, who he was expected to join on a big contract before agreeing terms with Sydney.
"In the end of the day, I wanted to come to a club that was going to end more premierships." Franklin said.
"GWS are going to be great, no doubt, but that's probably four to five years (away). I want success pretty much straight away - that's why I chose Sydney".

No big deal, but these are direct quotes from an ABC article that day. These aren't casual throwaway lines but from a major press conference.

As a marketing and promotional tool Buddy has been great for Sydney. However there will salary cap pressure on the Swans for the next six years, even if Buddy does not play.

On the other hand had he signed with GWS they would be without Mummy and most probably Heath Shaw, who are structurally 2 of their most important players. Furthermore they would be salary constrained and find it hard to pay there young stars market value, so holding back their rate of development.

My team lost too so I'm probably just being salty. If we hadn't taken Mitch Thorp at pick 6 but rather Joel Selwood who went next pick .............

Sorry my opinion offends you, but I can't see Geelong (or Hawthorn if we are lucky enough to get to the prelim) troubling GWS. I know you beat them at skilled in your most recent meeting, but given the confidence they are playing with now, and your inability to dispatch us in the manner I expected you to last night, I can't see you beating them in the grand final (should you get over Sydney or Adelaide). They are by all reports an arrogant bunch though, and they wouldn't be the first team to be brought down by hubris in a grand final, something I'm sure cat fans could relate to.

Mate I'm not offended, I'm laughing at you still sooking over your loss you graceless tosser.

And are you, a hawthorn supporter, actually calling another team arrogant? Oh man you can't make this stuff up :D

Mate I'm not offended, I'm laughing at you still sooking over your loss you graceless tosser.

I'm not sooking over the loss, I'm pointing out I think GWS will have your (and our) measure given your win over us was hardly convincing. If you don't like reading opinions contrary to your own, perhaps bigfooty isn't for you.

Can see GWS winning this year and maybe going on to what Dawks are about to miss out on - the 4peat. In a couple of years people may be complaining about an unfair amount of 1st round picks they got.

Maybe after trades but not prior. They had the mini draft access, but GC had more entry picks in their first year. GWS had slightly more cash for the first year but GC had more Zone access than GWS had.
In a couple of years GC and GWS will be playing in the GF and quite likely the year after that and the one after that.

The "compromised draft" story is bullshit peddled by supporters of teams jealous of the success of Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney. A very large chunk of our 2015 premiership winning team arrived on our list AFTER the compromised draft period began. Same for Geelong. That is why it is rubbish. Weak excuse from teams with weak recruiting, player development and coaching departments. You guys going with Buckley again next year?

How many of them did you see? I bet the 1927 two goals versus zero goals flag must have been a cracker to watch, were you there?
We did nearly beat you in rd 23 and looked pretty good so that is an endorsement of Buckley. but I guess beating Dawks not meaning so much these days, esp after the doggies game coming up.

I have to agree about DAwks and Brats great team management and recruiting in recent years, without concessions and high draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did ANZ Stadium just change mind for kick to kick?

I know I'm late to the thread (was partying late into the evening after getting home from the game) - and you probably don't care anymore - but I gotta say, that was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Announcement "There will be no kick to kick"
Crowd - Booooooooooooooo (bigger boos than a West Coast crowd)

Five minutes later

"Kick to kick will commence after the second siren"
Crowd - cheers.

People power at its absolute finest :D:D:D:p:p:D:D:D

that's right. but after watching both games I'd give the dogs a good chance of knocking them off in the prelim.

Yes, I'd say the dogs have the game style least vulnerable to the way GWS play. If dogs can get past Hawthorn next week (and I think dogs style will also trouble the Hawks in the same way GWS has) then the 1 game in 28 day factor against GWS might end up being significant.

Yes, I'd say the dogs have the game style least vulnerable to the way GWS play. If dogs can get past Hawthorn next week (and I think dogs style will also trouble the Hawks in the same way GWS has) then the 1 game in 28 day factor against GWS might end up being significant.
Don't disagree at all

I'm tipping dogs by 26 points vs Hawks next week.

GWS remind me of the old WC and Brisbane "all-star" teams, just loaded with elite talent. but dogs have that extreme intensity and probably the best in-close handball and evasion skills that might get them ahead on breaks from contested balls that are so important in finals.
BTW not sure GWS will win it this year (about 50:50) but I'd probably put money on them winning it next year and maybe the one after that too.

Watching the replay just before I found these two things rather amusing

Alir Alir went for a run from the defensive end to the center square just before the ruck circle without bouncing the ball as he kicked it away.

Late in the second half Heath Shaw bounces the footy almost as soon as he took possession of it.

Just found the difference amusing :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Swans v GWS Giants - Qualifying Final, 2016 - Saturday 3:20 @ANZ Stadium

Back