T20 World Cup Game 52 Super Eight Afghanistan v Bangladesh June 25 1000hrs @ Arnos Vale Stadium St Vincent

Who will win?

• Afghanistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps if they were a less problematic nation that didn't treat women as second-class citizens. Certainly not good for Afghanistan's women's cricket program. Bangladesh or USA getting through would be better for cricket than Afghanistan because most reasonable countries aren't playing them outside ICC events.
Seperate issue to cricket though - their barbaric religion is problematic worldwide and in any other instance you're not allowed to say anything as it's 'islamaphobic'. Can still be happy for their cricket team as an entirely separate entity to the religious beliefs within the country

We should all agree that's one of the best t20 matches ever in terms of drama. The fact it was a game of three sides, the rain being complete wildcard, a flop that would make soccer be disgusted, Rashid getting angry at the flop, the 2 seperate run chases (12.1 vs general win), the wicket on the last ball to change the DLS right before the rain came down, everything was wild

Seperate issue to cricket though - their barbaric religion is problematic worldwide and in any other instance you're not allowed to say anything as it's 'islamaphobic'. Can still be happy for their cricket team as an entirely separate entity to the religious beliefs within the country
You're allowed to say plenty, it's just that the only people who say it do it with the nuance of a brick wall because they are phobic. Most average people criticise validly all the time.

In this context it is specifically a cricket issue - even the ICC have said members should all have men's and women's teams.

Australia boycotting tours there is fine by me - if they also refused to play them in these tournaments as well.

Others will say that it's a case of baby steps with engaging Afghanistan - I can understand that too.

Great scenes of the Afghanistan players and coaches celebrating, huge for them to make a WC semi final, they are on the rise.

We should all agree that's one of the best t20 matches ever in terms of drama. The fact it was a game of three sides, the rain being complete wildcard, a flop that would make soccer be disgusted, Rashid getting angry at the flop, the 2 seperate run chases (12.1 vs general win), the wicket on the last ball to change the DLS right before the rain came down, everything was wild

You couldn't have scripted any more drama than that if you tried with 3 teams all in the mix for the semis along with the rain.

My dog is treated better and has more rights than their women so a long time.
That is true but, how can the ICC let them play cricket, but not at home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A regular reminder that one of the female cricketers, who now lives in Australia, said that since they escaped AFG not a single one of the men's side has ever contacted them.
That's pretty poor - I can understand if they fear reprisals but surely they would have ways of contacting without being found out?

I think their home ground is the UAE currently.
I know they are based in the UAE, but at some point the ICC has to let them play at home. I assume they get some sort of funding from the ICC so they can live, practice, and play in the UAE.

That's pretty poor - I can understand if they fear reprisals but surely they would have ways of contacting without being found out?
Nobody from the ICC ever reached out either soooo I think you can tell what the average person in cricket cares about. Fortunately, nearly all of the womens squad have found new homes in Australia.

It's actually quite easy to say something without sounding bigoted. This wasn't it though. The last cricket team to be shunned because of its politics was SA and I don't recall Islam being a factor there.

It's not fair on the individual players but neither was it fair on the SA players at the time. I'll tell you what though, it's even less fair to the women in Afghanistan. So I'm happy for the cricketing nations to ignore Afghanistan for now, even if the ICC won't.

It's actually quite easy to say something without sounding bigoted. This wasn't it though. The last cricket team to be shunned because of its politics was SA and I don't recall Islam being a factor there.

It's not fair on the individual players but neither was it fair on the SA players at the time. I'll tell you what though, it's even less fair to the women in Afghanistan. So I'm happy for the cricketing nations to ignore Afghanistan for now, even if the ICC won't.
It's almost contract time for the BBL right? I'll expect the yearly boycott complaint from Rashid before he re-signs with Adelaide.

Nobody from the ICC ever reached out either soooo I think you can tell what the average person in cricket cares about. Fortunately, nearly all of the womens squad have found new homes in Australia.

Wonder if they can naturalise and play for Australia eventually. I also hope they aren't chastised for their religion or religious clothing/garments

Well done Afghanistan. I don't think you should be playing international cricket without also fielding a women's team, but you've had a good tournament nonetheless.

Your win also allows me time to savour the fact that the worst possible influence on Australian cricket is no longer in the side.

Back