Taylor Walker's dangerous tackle on Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

it's okay everyone, the big bad taylor monster is gone away. you can all sleep safely knowing he's not going to bulldoze your team for 3 weeks.

The big bad monster who had three kicks in a game against Hawthorn? Yeah - he's real bad news this bloke. Bad news for the Crows when they're playing a decent team insofar he doesn't influence the game.

High contact isn't limited to contact to the head according to the official tribunal booklet. Moot point really...his head definitely hit the ground, it was probably only dumb luck that his shoulder broke the impact.

8UMWG.gif

As for the medium impact, I think the Tigers have done them with their medical report, least it appears that way considering he got straight back up and didn't suffer any obvious ill effects

TBH he deserves 3 weeks for stupidity considering he has a history. Unnecessary and something I don't think anyone really wants to see in the game, even the keyboard heroes

Just because Walker was fortunate enough Morris wasn't seriously hurt doesn't mean the punishment shouldn't be any less servere, especially when he got suspended for the exact same thing earlier in the year!

This argument is such a ****ing crock of shit. A football player can be seriously injured as a result of any tackle laid in the AFL, or any other action on the field for that matter. Should any player who has ever taken a hanger over somebody think themselves fortunate that the force of their knee hitting the back of their opponents head didn't cause serious injury?

Are Richmond supporters as outraged by this tackle?

art-svTACKLES-420x0.jpg

Thanks, I actually remember this now - thought he was gone at the time. May not have had the force Walker had, but still bloody dangerous.

This argument is such a ******* crock of shit. A football player can be seriously injured as a result of any tackle laid in the AFL, or any other action on the field for that matter. Should any player who has ever taken a hanger over somebody think themselves fortunate that the force of their knee hitting the back of their opponents head didn't cause serious injury?
This is where the system is stuffed. No matter how illegal the tackle is, it can be thrown out due to lack of injury. The purpose of the rule is to stop the tackle to stop players from getting injured as a result of it. Therefore the AFL should harden up and actually suspend people for these tackles. Yesterday's one was sickening no matter how bad the injury was.

This is where the system is stuffed. No matter how illegal the tackle is, it can be thrown out due to lack of injury. The purpose of the rule is to stop the tackle to stop players from getting injured as a result of it. Therefore the AFL should harden up and actually suspend people for these tackles. Yesterday's one was sickening no matter how bad the injury was.

As I said earlier in this thread, I beleive the main weighting of a players penalty should be whether the action they committed was illegal or not. Not whether the opposing player happened to be injured as a result. Morris trying to kick the ball over his head made it look worse, but it was still a bad tackle, no doubt about that.

the ump should get dropped - he missed the free and in fact gave walker the free for incorrect disposal when the reply clearly shows Morris got his boot to the ball. Think he kicked a goal from that. This and rieoldts mark and free kick that was called play on, thats two goals and in a 19 point game is a significant diff.

Overall two poorly umpired incidents.

Should any player who has ever taken a hanger over somebody think themselves fortunate that the force of their knee hitting the back of their opponents head didn't cause serious injury?

Pretty clearly spelled out in the tribunal rules that such things are considered accidental contact and non reportable.

An injury occurring as a result of an action clearly classified as illegal in the laws of the game, cannot be assessed in the same context as contact in a marking contest

Yep. It is worse than what Tex got 2 weeks for in the same round. MRP is a joke.

no argument on the last point. The points system was supposed to bring in consistency, but the problem is they are so inconsistent in determining force.

Also as some have said, there are some actions that are just dangerous regardless of impact, and they deserve a whack regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty clearly spelled out in the tribunal rules that such things are considered accidental contact and non reportable.

An injury occurring as a result of an action clearly classified as illegal in the laws of the game, cannot be assessed in the same context as contact in a marking contest

I know this. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. Unless the injury is incurred through an illegal action such as punching somebody, where a player is ovbiously trying to hurt their opponent, I think it's a load of crap that it's even considered. If the action is illegal, penalise the offender, whether the player on the receiving end is injured or not.

At the end of the day, the AFL are creating this problem with their desperate want for the ball to be moved on at all costs. Had Morris been pinged for holding the ball straight away, which he should have been, this wouldn't have even happened. Giving a player extended opportunity to get rid of the ball when it has already been well and truly wrapped up in a tackle isn't helping anybody.

At the end of the day, the AFL are creating this problem with their desperate want for the ball to be moved on at all costs. Had Morris been pinged for holding the ball straight away, which he should have been, this wouldn't have even happened. Giving a player extended opportunity to get rid of the ball when it has already been well and truly wrapped up in a tackle isn't helping anybody.

Agree 100% with this. Schofield got done for dumping JR in the tigers game earlier this year, after the ump let play carry on way too long after Jack was wrapped up. To kill the play Schofield dumped Jack, and got a week for it.

It would never have occurred if the ump had called for a ball up when he should have (acknowledged by the Geisch). That said, the action was excessive by Schofield and deserved a penalty

Sanity prevails thank god, tackles like that have no place in any sport except wrestling.
Gobsmacked that anybody could defend it either as it was more luck then anything that Morris wasn't seriously injured.
Hopefully Walker learns this time because the kid can seriously play footy.

High contact isn't limited to contact to the head according to the official tribunal booklet. Moot point really...his head definitely hit the ground, it was probably only dumb luck that his shoulder broke the impact.

8UMWG.gif

As for the medium impact, I think the Tigers have done them with their medical report, least it appears that way considering he got straight back up and didn't suffer any obvious ill effects

TBH he deserves 3 weeks for stupidity considering he has a history. Unnecessary and something I don't think anyone really wants to see in the game, even the keyboard heroes

If anyone wants to have a giggle, read through this thread and count the amount of times Adelaide fans say that his head didn't even hit the ground. Cracks me up man.

I know this. I'm just pointing out that it's ridiculous. Unless the injury is incurred through an illegal action such as punching somebody, where a player is ovbiously trying to hurt their opponent, I think it's a load of crap that it's even considered. If the action is illegal, penalise the offender, whether the player on the receiving end is injured or not.

I'm sorry, that's just a cop out. The non payment of a free kick is no excuse for a spear tackle. He could have maintained the tackle without lifting him.

With impact, consideration should always be assessed for the potential damage...It isn't (at least, not consistantly), but it should.

If I drive through a traffic light without looking, it's dangerous and I should be charged, regardless of if I hit anyone.

Right outcome, unjust means of arriving at it. I hope Adelaide appeals so that the flaws in the methodology are put under the spotlight.

ADRIAN! YOUR SYSTEM'S BROKEN AGAIN!!

I remember when I was watching the game I was thinking "the Adelaide fans there seem pretty dumb". And if any Adelaide supporters on here are so one eyed they think that tackle was fine, then they're also dumb.

Walker picked up someone half his size, flipped him over, and dumped him to the ground. Dangerous, and more pointedly, stupid. He's actually lucky it was Morris who got up strait away and not most other players who would have milked it for a free

I'm sorry, that's just a cop out. The non payment of a free kick is no excuse for a spear tackle. He could have maintained the tackle without lifting him.

Well had you bothered to read any of my other posts in this thread where I've said Walker should be suspended, perhaps you would have realised that I agree that it's no excuse for his tackle. It holds absolutely no relevance to the point I was making about umpires not blowing the whistle early enough though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor Walker's dangerous tackle on Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

Back