Preview Team for GC - 8 changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawks v Geelong is now confirmed for Friday night. I'd assume the club knew this earlier in the day. I'd also assume the team would look quite different if this game was in Melbourne.

Having said that, I'm on the Gold Coast and can't wait for the game. Looking forward to see how Stratton goes; love watching Mitchell & Bateman at work; hoping Lisle can overcome his nerves and get some reward for his effort this time around; and looking forward to finding out what Paul Johnson looks like!

Hawks by 60 for me, after a tight first half.

I can understand some disapointment but cyril was never going to play & you forget to mention 4 premiership players including last years captain who is soon to win another b&f come into the team along with a number of others all of whom are vying for selection in our finals games.
There were mixed messages about whether Rioli would play.
Mitchell, Stratton, Lisle and Cheney are the players i am looking forward to seeing out there. If any of the fringe premiership players can get through the game unscathed it will be a bonus.

I believe that Hawthorn requested a 7 day break for the Qualifying Final considering they were going to finish 2nd or 3rd and were traveling interstate in Round 24.

The AFL said you'll be Friday night so...

Hawthorn ensured a number of key players would have a 7 day break+

Wouldn't be surprised if Breust is the sub, and they sub off someone like Mitchell or Gibson.

Well, I always wanted to go and see Box Hill, never expected they'd follow me up here!!!!

Yeah it's disappointing, but a lot of people are overlooking the fact that some of these inclusions, they're pretty good too! Very excited about the Strattonator returning, and Mitchell is always class. Still plenty to be excited about this match, just not as much x-factor

Of the two basic arguemts;

1/ You don't mess with form
2/ You don't want players coming off a 6 day break from an interstate trip going into a final (when the oppositon has 7)

I'm inclined to think that in this case the 2nd is the more persausive.

The players that have been rested all seem to be the blokes that have put it in hard over the course of the season and some of them have had the odd injury/ niggle.(Sewell/Hodge/Rioli/Bailey certainly seem sensible ones).

At this point into the season where everyone is match hardened, I don't reckon that not playing for 2 weeks should be an issue.

The Cats have had some indifferent form, they're going into a game with Collingwood that you'd think they can't afford to take too easy.

The ladder might make you think that both those teams wouldn't be going at it too hard but I'd reckon that if that was the case then Collingwood might give them quite a big touch up on the scoreboard, I think Geelong are going to be forced to play at a pretty high intensity for large parts of the game if they want to stay in it, so I think having half our side nice and fresh for what will probably be Friday night will pay even bigger dividends.

Only time will tell but I think the selection commitee have made the right decision, the only slight issue I feel is that some of those who haven't been given a break (Gibson springs to mind) might be a bit miffed as the outs are largely the most important players & it might be a bit of a knock to the ego to not be considered part of that group.

It'll also be good to see if any of the ins can put their hands up, Ellis, Cheney and Bateman must all be close and some good form from any of them might see them make the side the week after.

And of course the Stratton question might well be answered one way or another.

And although I can't see Lisle playing unless there are injuries at least if he performs well, especially if he has a spell down back, then Clarko might have the confidence to use him if say Shoe or Gibbo go down (heaven forbid), because if we do happen to play off in a GF with Collingwood then you'd want 2 out of those 3 playing.

Not sure what to think of all these outs??

It could do more harm than good or vise versa do more good than harm. We wont know just how much an impact it will have until next Friday night.

I'm not quite sure why the club chose those 8 players in particular, i mean Gibo, Hale, Goo, Poupolo, Shiels, Breust, Smith could all of had a rest too.
But so far Clarko hasnt put a foot wrong all year and we are 3rd and playing finals so i guess we just must trust what he has planned..

the other fella's will get a break in week 2 of the finals after we beat the cats . ;)

Hawks v Geelong is now confirmed for Friday night. I'd assume the club knew this earlier in the day. I'd also assume the team would look quite different if this game was in Melbourne.

Having said that, I'm on the Gold Coast and can't wait for the game. Looking forward to see how Stratton goes; love watching Mitchell & Bateman at work; hoping Lisle can overcome his nerves and get some reward for his effort this time around; and looking forward to finding out what Paul Johnson looks like!

Hawks by 60 for me, after a tight first half.
They'd known for a while. It explains why some players were played in specific spots last week, even at Box Hill.

The club rang GC on Wednesday to tell them that they'd be brining up a changed squad, as a courtesy.

Great work and anyone questioning this especially those having a sook because they are taking their kids to watch are being selfish.

We are playing Geelong first final and they are playing Collingwood and that is going to be a tough hard match. We have earnt 3rd position and we get to play Gold Coast which is an advantage why not utilise this advantage.

In recent history Geelong have overrun us late in games specifically last quarters, they are going to be coming off a hard match and us well... I'll take our preparation over theirs any day of the week. The team is still decent and im expecting us to still win by 50+ point

These are probably the same selfish Queensland members who have paid their membership each year and have not been able to go to a game in Qld since 2008.

Totally understand and support the decision and will be there cheering these lads on as hard as the first 22.

I do think it is totally understandable for people to be disappointed they won't get to see their heroes in the flesh and a bit rich for anyone to criticize their support for their team.

I think it is a great opportunity to rest our top players and also give a chance to others to show some form. A number of the inclusions are premiership players and many supporters would argue that some (Stratton, Ellis, Bateman, Lisle) are in or close to being in our best 22.
Most of the inclusions and others have a lot to play for (ie a grand final spot or even a spot on the list in 2012) so it is a chance for everyone to see if our depth is good enough to win without some of the stars.
I hope they all do well and keep a bit of competitive tension going for a spot in the finals.

I do have great empathy for those up north wanting to see the stars they idolise playing live in front of them, only to be denied by decisions based on what is best for the team. Kids especially would be shattered, and the only thing I can think of to console them is to point out the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that we're trying to strive for. I'd also re-focus them from the stars who won't be there to the up-and-coming heroes who will form the basis of the team over the next 10 years. Hey, it's worth a shot.

Is resting half the team in the best interests of Hawthorn on the eve of the finals? The argument of not screwing with winning form echoes loudly in my ears but after a lot of thought I believe this is the right thing to do. We can't afford to run out of legs in the last quarter against Geelong to lose another tight one. I have that scenario spinning around in my head and I cringe at the very thought.

Next week will be a final. No chance will be come out of the blocks slow. No chance. We'll hit the Cats with everything we've got and when it comes to the last 10 to 15 minutes of the game, we will hopefully see the Brown and Gold surge forward to victory.

Hopefully, this might appease in some small way the disappointment of Qlders missing out this week in seeing their champions live.

If I was a QLD'er I'd be shattered.

No one here is saying that they don't want to see Hawthorn do what is good for the list, but if Hawthorn only played 1 game in Melbourne every 18 months and Buddy, Cyril and Hodge didn't turn up I'd be pretty gutted, especially if I was a young bloke with their number on my back.

So how about we go easy on the northern Hawk fans who are only posting their disappointment in missing out on watching some of the best players in the comp.

Yep, perfectly understandable for any Qld'ers to be upset, or those travelling up for the game.

Of course, I understand the reasoning, although I'm not sure we haven't gone over the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should start a sweep on the other three. I will go with Gibson, Mitchell and Guerra. Running out of senior walk up starts after those three. Surely they cannot make three more changes?

Pretty sure Mitch will play - unless injured I wouldn't think he would miss a fortnight leading into finals. Wouldn't be surprised if Gibbo was a late 'out' though.

Looking forward to seeing Lisle, Laddo & Ellis this week!

Nah, Croad is out with "gerneral soreness", Dermie was getting a perm on thursday and dusting off his Gold boots in preparation of a new rule "Legend Inclusion"...

This is for those worried (or confident) the AFL will crack down on it...

HAWTHORN has defended its decision to rest eight players for Saturday's match against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

The AFL had no problem with the club's decision as it prepared for the finals.

The Hawks said they had not compromised the integrity of the game by leaving out captain Luke Hodge, Coleman Medal leader Lance Franklin, Max Bailey, Grant Birchall, Jordan Lewis, Brad Sewell, Cyril Rioli and Shaun Burgoyne.

Among the notable inclusions are midfielder Sam Mitchell, who missed last week with knee soreness, and defender Ben Stratton, who returns from a serious knee injury suffered in Round 3.
From: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/empty-nest-in-hawk-camp/story-e6frf9jf-1226127694839

The team isn't that bad to be honest. It's still really strong and the forward isn't that weak despite the likes of Buddy and Junior not being in it. Remember what we did to Essendon with a 'weak' forward line?

Excited about Stratts being back but with the travel and the 6 day break, that could be a worry with this being just his 2nd game back with a final next week. Hopefully it's not.

I agree - it's not too bad a team and hardly a 'Box hill Hawks' Lineup. When the ins include guns Mitchell and Stratton, plus premiership players Ellis, Ladson and Bateman, and others who have already shown some promise like Lisle and Cheney. Hopefully the cats cop a physical pounding from the pies tonight and we come in to the QF next week refreshed and raring to go

I am genuinely surprised. It tells me that there are up to 5 spots in the side that are still in flux. I’m OK with resting players but I think 8 changes is flirting with form. It would be a disappointing way to end the H&A season if we lost. (Now if we go on to win the GF that will be all forgotten.) Anyway, so let’s say we beat the Cats. That means a number of guys would have only played one game in a month. Personally I would have kept Lewis and Buddy in the side. They’ve both missed games through suspension so should be pretty fresh. (Although Buddy is our most important player so I can understand him being rested. Perhaps a sub role?) As others have mentioned Gibson (not rested) and Johnson (selected ahead of Renouf) are surprises too. Looks like Young is not going to be even fit to come into contention for the finals. (Too bad. I think he has been prematurely written off by some.) Good to see Lisle in. Has been unlucky this season not to play more games. Good luck to him and the rest of the boys vying for a spot.

If we beat the Cats I am ok with the club doing this. If not though, I will be asking for the club to refund my flights, accomodation and tickets.

Are we a genuine chance to lose this game? I wouldn't have thought losing to the Gold Coast would be ideal preparation for a QF against the Cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back