Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I love trying to come up with a best 22, especially at this time of year when the options seem endless!

However, I've tried putting myself in the shoes of selectors, rather than build a team that I would like to see...

In a very simplistic method, I put players (those I think will be close to selection in round 1) into 1 of a number of groups. The number in brackets represents my prediction for the number of players in each category that would be preferred in the 22.

Obviously there might be a bit of overlap between groups, and you may debate which groups certain players would fit into (such as inside/outside mids), but this is just what I came up with.
In bold are the players I think will make up the starting 22 for round one, assuming all are fit.

Small Defenders (2)
Doughty
Johncock

Petrenko

Tall Defenders (3)
Davis
Stevens
Rutten

Young
Talia
L Thompson

Inside Mids (4)
Dangerfield
Douglas

Sloane
Symes
S Thompson
van Berlo

Outside Mids (4)
Mackay
Vince

Tambling
Smith
Martin
Reilly

Tall Forwards (2)
Tippett
Walker

Small/Med Forwards (3)
Knights
Porplyzia

Jaensch
Callinan

Genuine Ruck (1)
Jacobs
Maric

Utilities/Role Players (3)
Otten
Henderson
McKernan
Sellar
Gunston
Moran

Having picked this 22, 3 of the remaining players (some very unlucky ones) would obviously make up the emergencies. Of which, i would think petrenko, sloane, symes, martin, maric, and mckernan would be atop the list, and nipping at the heels of a number of the 22, especially jacobs, moran, henderson, callinan and tambling

Thus, the team would look like this

FB: Johncock Rutten Stevens
HB: Doughty Davis Tambling
C: Mackay Thompson Vince
HF: Henderson Walker Knights
FF: Porplyzia Tippett Callinan
R: Jacobs Douglas Dangerfield
Int: Otten Moran van Berlo reilly
Em: (I simply can't narrow this to 3)

As for the substitute....i've got no clue who, or how they're going to use them.

I think a few injuries would clear up a few question marks, but let's hope this doesn't happen :)

Go Crows!

Hmm very hard to come up with a best 22. Think I did it earlier in the thread. But here is my 22 of next tier/juniors I think could play this year.

B: Armstrong Sellar Petrenko
HB: L Thompson Talia Symes
C: Jeansch Smith Tambling
HF: Callinan Henderson Young
F: Milera McKernan Gunston

R Moran Douglas (sorry Dougie) Martin

Bench, whoever left Cook etc.

Beat WCE/Rich/North/Centrals etc, if kick straight???

you must be dreaming if you think scott stevens won't play round 1

...but I dared to dream with Pets and Smack in for Stevens and Symes :eek:

I certainly stated as much.

Neil craig has said that otten will be pushing up more towards the midfield this year.

With all first choice midfielders fit this is completely unnecessary, and under-utilises a guy who is an excellent third tall type player who would give us more run from defence than Stevens. This is the way that I'd go, doesn't mean the Crows will.

Okay, time to adjust the 22 by the sounds:

B: Johncock - Rutten - Stevens
HB: Doughty - Davis - Martin
C: van Berlo - Dangerfield - Reilly
HF: Knights - Walker - Vince
FF: Porplyzia - Tippett - Callinan
1R: Jacobs - Douglas - Thompson
I: McKernan - Sloane - Otten
S: Henderson
E: Sellar, Mackay, Symes

Thereabouts:
Tambling, Petrenko, Maric, Moran, Smith and Jaensch

Quite a tough task and probably a couple of explanations required:

Rucks: Still haven't a clue who's going to get our #1 ruck spot out of Jacobs, Maric and Moran, all have their pluses and minuses. I've gone with Jacobs because I think he might be slightly ahead at this stage, but that could very easily change.

McKernan I've gone with as our second ruck, he'll also spend a good deal of time up forward, mixing in with Tippett and Walker, as well as providing cover whilst they rest on the bench. Could also move into defense if required. From chatting with those from within the club, we are definitely planning on using a Sellar/McKernan type as our 2nd ruck, at this stage I think McKernan is the best bet as he'd be easily equal to Moran and Sellar in the ruck and a far better forward. I'd go Sellar if we needed another tall defender, but we've already got three incumbent talls in defence, forward line we only have 2.

Tambling I think might have to earn his spot in the side, especially whilst still coming back from injury and quite frankly, a shot in the SANFL might do him the world of good. If you're struggling for form, a run in the lower grades can often do you the world of good, he never really got this chance at Richmond as there was no one good enough to replace him. By round 4-5 I see him forcing his way into our side.

I think Mackay also may require a week or two at the lower level, just to find some form and fitness. Last year we saw what happens when you rush guys back who are coming off a limited preseason, couldn't hurt to give him a run at a lower level to regain some match fitness and find a little form.

Vince has only just scrapes in(see Mackay), I'd be looking at playing him mainly off the HFF early in the season whilst he finds form, with only short bursts in the midfield, before moving him there more permanently come rounds 4-5.

Forget about the HBF for Otten, I think he'll be spending most of his time right in the guts. With his size and ability to read the play, he should become a real force in there.

Dangerfield similar, he has the potential to be the best clearance winner in the comp and his ability to find the footy seems to have improved dramatically, is a big part of our future.

It was tough not including Henderson, however he's just a victim of the evenness of our squad outside our top 15-odd players. Should make for a good sub, extremely versatile, being able to play both tall and small, would also have the capacity to tear a side to shreds late in a game with his run.

I see Callinan stepping into the more permanent, crumbing small forward role, with Porplyzia being used more extensively in the midfield rotations. I think the club will decided that his strong body, tackling ability, poise, class and finishing skills will be too much to say no to. Over the next 2-3 years I could see him being the small forward we've missed since Matty Bode in 06.

Being honest, do you think it will?

I don't.

hmmm... not sure.

More chance of happening this year than it did last year IMO.

Probably not - but to be able to tell the 20 to 28th players on the list have to be pushing continually through the SANFL and on the tracke. We also need few injuries and we also need guys in the side having a shocker or two.

Last years decisions were a tad 'clouded' IMO by some of the under performing players being champoins of the club. We don't have that this year AND we've had a review of our injury/fitness management so hopefully no more pushing guys to play who aren't close to 100% fit.

In all honesty I think I'm living in hope it will change...

Young in the side is far off from reality at the moment....
Mckernan and Moran offer more than Sellar, both offer more attack and are better ruck options. Sellar would have to beat Rutten, Davis, Stevens and hell even ottens
Jacobs is in front of Maric as he offers more as a pure ruck with first use to our mids. That alone would get Jacobs in the side not to mention his agression at the ball and his efforts. Maric is in trouble but may have credit in the bank so to speak.

Revised team for round 1 based on exposed form from Friday night and what we know at this stage re injuries.

F: Callinan -- Tippett -- Porplyzia

HF: Henderson -- Walker -- Sloane

C: Martin -- Thompson -- Otten

HB: Doughty -- Davis -- van Berlo*

B: Johncock -- Rutten -- Stevens

1st: Jacobs -- Dangerfield -- Douglas

2nd: McKernan -- van Berlo -- Sloane

Int: McKernan -- Reilly -- Tambling

Sub: Sellar

*Hadn't seen the news re VB's hammy...if he misses out then I think either Petrenko or Smith comes in to fill a small running HB role

Missing due to injury/interrupted pre-season (but in best 22 once fully match fit): Mackay, Knights, and Vince (definites) Jaensch (maybe)

Close to selection: Smith, Maric, Moran, Petrenko, Symes (maybe)

Craig quoted in the article about SMack that he was unlikely to play all 3 in the one side, so Smack, Tippett and Walker will be fighting it out for 2 spots.

I don't think we can play Tambling on one HBF and Martin on the other as both are smallish and more attackin players. I think Doughty or at times VB will take the other HBF.

My question for everyone is;

Who will be the better HBF Martin or Tambling?

IMO Martin is better suited to the roll. He has more composure, better skills, better decision maker, better defensively and a bit more attacking.

Tambling if/when proven 22 to come onto opposite wing to MAckay.

Craig quoted in the article about SMack that he was unlikely to play all 3 in the one side, so Smack, Tippett and Walker will be fighting it out for 2 spots.

Gee that puts the pressure on Walker given McKernan's encouraging start.

Having said that I'm not sure why McKernan isn't being considered for 2R (and hence could easily play all 3). Personally i feel Moran is ahead of him in the ruck quite comfortably at this stage but McKernan shades Moran as a genuine forward (despite Moran also having a previous 4 goal game and pushing forward for a couple of shots on goal himself in the NAB Port game). (I haven't discussed Jacobs/Maric as i see them behind Moran and McKernan as 2R options).

Would love to see McKernan get a longer shot on ball during the NAB to see if he up to it against AFL opposition. Also love to see Moran resting forward at some stage to see if he can make a genuine contribution down there.

Who will be the better HBF Martin or Tambling?

Tempted to say Martin but l have a feeling Tambling will gradually build momentum over the NAB games.

Either be good options.

I agree we need some defensive smalls as well but i hope we can get the balance right as we need more run back there this year (though I'm a bit concerned over the 'swap sides as first option' game plan).

Who knows, Petrenko could also enter the conversation as well as he is probably the better balance between defence/attack despite being slightly less skilled.

Mate, I named THIRTY players ahead of them.

Even if they are the best of that last group that would make them Player 31 and Player 32.

That's nowehere near it in any language.

Who of my first thirty are you scrubbing?

Maybe I'm getting carried away but I would place Callinan ahead of the following players in your top 30 (in terms of what I believe he could bring to the side in round 1, not where the Crows heirarchy necessarily rate him):

Sloane
Symes
Gunston
Moran
Petrenko
Smith

And I'd be line ball on Henderson, Jaensch and McKernan (another performance like last weekend and I'll be on the McKernan bandwagon though :p)

Tempted to say Martin but l have a feeling Tambling will gradually build momentum over the NAB games.

Either be good options.

I agree we need some defensive smalls as well but i hope we can get the balance right as we need more run back there this year (though I'm a bit concerned over the 'swap sides as first option' game plan).

Who knows, Petrenko could also enter the conversation as well as he is probably the better balance between defence/attack despite being slightly less skilled.

re Tambling I tend to agree

IMO some folk have been a little quick in their assessment and we need to take into consider that he missed all of Nov-Dec pre-season period and there is a period of adjustment to familarise himself with his role, structure and game plan..

for Bling the pre-season games were always going to be very important and I expect that his fitness and his level of understanding in terms of our game plan, structure and his role will significantly improve over the next few weeks....

we need to give him the entire pre-season games before assessing his claims for round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good call. Remember the 2009 pre-season? Dangermouse was omitted from our early MMC teams on the basis that he wasn't sufficiently familiar with the gameplan. Once he learned the gameplan properly he came into the team and played really well.

I suspect the same might be true of Tambling, except that we were forced to select him because of the double-headed nature of the lightning carnival round. Give him time to a) gain some match fitness after a limited pre-season and b) learn the gameplan and I think we'll all be revising our opinions on Tambling's capabilities.

This is a good call. Remember the 2009 pre-season? Dangermouse was omitted from our early MMC teams on the basis that he wasn't sufficiently familiar with the gameplan. Once he learned the gameplan properly he came into the team and played really well.

I suspect the same might be true of Tambling, except that we were forced to select him because of the double-headed nature of the lightning carnival round. Give him time to a) gain some match fitness after a limited pre-season and b) learn the gameplan and I think we'll all be revising our opinions on Tambling's capabilities.

This is true, not only did he have a very restricted preseason, but he hardly played any footy last year and when he did it was as a small forward, a role in which he clearly struggles. Couple this with the fact that he's in a new team and new environment, I think he make take a few months to really hit his straps and I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. Players should be made to earn their spots and just because we traded Tambling in for a reasonable price, should mean that we have to play him round one.

Maybe I'm getting carried away but I would place Callinan ahead of the following players in your top 30 (in terms of what I believe he could bring to the side in round 1, not where the Crows heirarchy necessarily rate him):

Sloane
Symes
Gunston
Moran
Petrenko
Smith

And I'd be line ball on Henderson, Jaensch and McKernan (another performance like last weekend and I'll be on the McKernan bandwagon though :p)
No way ahead of Sloane and Symes.

The others you could be right.

I'd be disappointed though if a player that no AFL club has thought up to scratch for years is suddenly ahead of half our squad.

No way ahead of Sloane and Symes.

The others you could be right.

I'd be disappointed though if a player that no AFL club has thought up to scratch for years is suddenly ahead of half our squad.
Did Podsiadly and Barlow fly straight over your head last year? Even Hudson a few years back? You don't know why he hasn't been picked up before now, so how can you judge if he no better than half our squad? And he is ahead of Sloane and Symes, but it doesn't matter, they aren't competing for the same spot.

Did Podsiadly and Barlow fly straight over your head last year? Even Hudson a few years back? You don't know why he hasn't been picked up before now, so how can you judge if he no better than half our squad? And he is ahead of Sloane and Symes, but it doesn't matter, they aren't competing for the same spot.

Same spot? Before we get to Callinan, you (and others) seem unable to comprehend that teams might alter their structures. You seem to think that a football team is 22 set positions and roles and that this doesn't change. And that players can only fill one of these set positions. Somehow you think that Callinan is only competing against like players for his position in the team, so basically Callinan keeps his nose ahead of Jaensch and Milera and the position is his.

The balance of our 22 changes. Extra tall, extra mid, extra runner... and we alter the structure to accommodate the change in personnel. This depends on conditions, the make up of our opposition, the form of our players...

And as an exercise, have a look through our list and see how many players are capable of playing both midfield and up forward. Or key position and ruck. Or across half back and through the midfield.

Back to Callinan. Your Barlow (21) vs Callinan (28) comparison is apples and oranges, as is Callinan (28) vs Hudson (24 yo ruckman). As for Podsiadly, as I posted in the other thread: Geelong won the flag and added the jPod. They could afford the luxury of rolling the dice on a mature-ager. If it doesn't work out, what have they lost? They've still got a premiership team.

We're trying to climb from 11th. Rebuilding, revitalising, regenerating... whatever we've decided to call it, it isn't top up time.

But it might be time to add someone who can slot goals calmly, hit targets lace out, show guys how to tackle properly and provide a bit of solid body experience around our young guys. Especially someone who is going to push hard for a spot and keep the others on their toes?

Especially if said someone costs us next to nothing?

Not a bad thing surely?

But it might be time to add someone who can slot goals calmly, hit targets lace out, show guys how to tackle properly and provide a bit of solid body experience around our young guys. Especially someone who is going to push hard for a spot and keep the others on their toes?

Especially if said someone costs us next to nothing?

Not a bad thing surely?
Hey, if Callinan comes in and it is Symes, Doughty or Reilly who get squeezed out of the 21 I'll be happy.

However if it is Sloane, Jaensch, Smith... I think we're going down the wrong path.

Reilly is our numnber one tagger and Doughty hs been very good in the last two years and given our youth will rightly not be going anywhere.
Agree.

I don't think they'll be going anywhere which is why I think it is more likely that if Callinan plays it will be someone like Brodie Smith who misses.

We're trying to climb from 11th. Rebuilding, revitalising, regenerating... whatever we've decided to call it, it isn't top up time.
We also have the youngest and least experienced team list in he club's entire history. On this basis, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have someone with Callinan's experience - particularly "finals winning" experience - around the traps.

FWIW, I agree with you that he's definitely competing with the likes of Symes, Sloane, Martin & Smith for a position in the team.

Personally, I'm not fussed if he's selected in the team or not. All I want to see is our best & most in-form 22 players selected each week, regardless of age and/or reputation. If that means a 28yo player misses out, then so be it. If it means that a 19yo kid misses out, so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back